Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how'd they play?

Sure, it was only Tampa but this was a solid 50 minutes of pure domination. Les Brahs had many chances to put them away (see all those powerplays) which is a cause for concern but they may have turned a corner when you look at the recent performances prior to this week.

Buffalo this Saturday night. That should tell everyone whether or not they are taking things as seriously as they seem to be right now.

Jeckyl and Hyde are killing me!

Those celebrations look a little over the top.

Cherry will not be impressed.

That's pretty funny.

Miller is back for the Sabres but I still think the Habs will win. They've got the tie breaker on Florida, 2 points and a game in hand so I'm feeling they are going to pull it off.

Well assuming the Bruins hang on (5 points might be too much for the Devils) that's not the worst matchup. Les Brahs should bring Chris Nilan out of retirement.

Miller is back for the Sabres but I still think the Habs will win. They've got the tie breaker on Florida, 2 points and a game in hand so I'm feeling they are going to pull it off.

Well assuming the Bruins hang on (5 points might be too much for the Devils) that's not the worst matchup. Les Brahs should bring Chris Nilan out of retirement.

Unfortunately.

Carey looks more confident, no doubt there. I'll take a performance like that the rest of the way. The play on the puck is building, the forecheck is gaining ground and the fear appears to be hiding....at least for now. Komisaurus is hitting again. Why did it go away?

But those dumb penalties have to stop. That shit has killed them all year. I mean, Kovalev gets a 'whatever thefuckit'scalled' penalty for being the second center thrown out on the same draw? Somewhere in there is a dumb penalty that none of us, aside from those on the ice, know why he got it. At least the refs evened up on all their calls during the game.

Note to Gainey: Make it stop.

You are playing Raider football with that undisciplined play. Hab fans can cry all they want but that Lapierre hit was stupidasfuck.

The news will only be announced Tuesday by the Canadiens and the National Hockey League, but veteran defenceman Patrice Brisebois is the Habs' 2008-09 nominee for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. The annual prize is awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey...........

........while completely sucking ass on the ice. Seriously, sit the fugger until Bouillon is ready. I cant handle watching him back there anymore. Put Dandy in his spot for Christ's sake!

I applaud Breezer's career with Les Brahs but enough is enough. It's hova.

Seeing how things played out, that was a must-win tonight.

Well done Brahs. Watching the Habs get the first goal give Carey all the confidence in the world made my night. It feels so rare to see MTL score first. Price became outstanding.

I miss those days. ;)

Possibility Exists Montreal Canadiens Could Be Awarded Cancelled 1919 Stanley Cup Win

2_medium.jpg

Robert L note: This is kinda goofy, considering the Habs hankering for a Cup win in it's 100th season. While it hardly looks like it could win it's 25th Stanley Cup on ice, they may be retroactively awarded what would have been the team's second Stanley Cup, from the cancelled 1919 Cup final, giving the Canadiens 25 Stanley Cups in total. No big woop celebrations over this one, all of the players from that season are dead!

Here's the translation from this morning's La Presse piece on the unfolding story.

The Hockey Hall Of Fame and NHL officials are currently investigating the possibility of awarding the 1919 Stanley Cup to the Montreal Canadiens.

That season's final, the lone NHL season barring the 2004 lockout in which a Stanley Cup winner was not awarded, was cancelled 90 years ago on April 1, 1919. Game six of the series was to be played that evening.

At the time of cancellation, the series between Montreal and the Seattle Metropolitans was deadlocked, with each club having won two games, and the fourth contest of five having ended in a scoreless tie.

Recently unearthed documents certified to be from the estate of former NHL president Frank Calder, claim that the final, which was cancelled due to an influenza epidemic in April of that year, should not have been declared a draw between the Canadiens and the challenging Seattle hockey team.

Records from the day, and in Calder's possession, originally assumed that the Seattle club accepted the Canadiens forfeiture of the series based on the fact that the Montreal team were not able to dress enough healthy bodies to compete in the final contest. According to Calder's notes, he later learned that the Metropolitans club were also unable to dress seven healthy players, but he decided after some reflection, to leave well enough alone.

Stating in his diary notes that he feared the NHL would suffer court proceedings either way, he allowed the "no decision" ruling on the Stanley Cup to stand. Calder later stated in his notes that he never chose to revisit the issue for fear that it would taint his legacy as NHL president.

1918-19_Large_medium.JPG

According to HHOF sources who have seen Calder's notes, the Seattle club, by mutual agreement, chose not to pursue a claim on the Cup when Calder learned of the hospitalized Metropolitans players. As it was that the Canadiens forfeited first, the Cup would have automatically fallen into Seattle hands, but in what was termed as a sportsmanlike agreement for the day, the Seattle chose to not lay claim to Lord Stanley's mug.

What Calder later agonized over in his notes, was a discrepancy between National Hockey League bylaws, and those of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association in regards to the Challenge Cup rules. While the basic agreement sets out such standard rules as alternating seven man and six man games, nowhere does detail the winner in the event of a double forfeiture.

1919_Didier_Pitre_photo_medium.jpg

The gist of the question sits therein, as then Canadiens owner George Kendall, at the time hospitalized along with two of his players, was nowhere to be found to accept the Seattle forfeiture. PCHA regulations had no precursor for a double forfeiture, whereas the NHL terminology decreed that the winner of the final series game played, be declared the Cup winner.

In that such scenario, the Canadiens as Game 5 winners, would have, and should have, been declared Stanley Cup champions as victors of the last game.

The Hockey Hall Of Fame and the NHL have gone over the Calder diary details, and are expected to make a pronouncement soon.

1919cancelarticle_medium.jpg

The Calder notes were recently made public, and of court record, due to a divorce procedure involving an estate holder who is the great grandson of the former NHL president.

Calder served as NHL president from 1917 to 1943. The Calder Trophy, awarded to the NHL's best rookie, is named after him.

Shortly after the cancellation of the 1919 final, Canadiens defenseman Joe Hall perished from the effects of the influenza epidemic. Team owner George Kendall battled with the virus for two years, finally succumbing in 1921.

For more on the story, and the 1919 season, click these links.

I'll be happy as long as the Rangers vs Canes game doesn't go into OT...

+ a Habs win... Streit is doubtful for tonight's game, and the Islanders have to be thinking draft pick and watching the Colorado ship sink...

Colorado has stanked it up with a franchise worst 8 game losing streak (I'm sure the Nords killed that streak though)

There is a great opportunity for us to leapfrog the Rangers into 7th tonight....Montreal plays the lowly Islanders while the Rangers are visiting the red hot Hurricanes who have won 6 in a row.
I'll be happy as long as the Rangers vs Canes game doesn't go into OT...

Paging the Hockey Gods. (cmon Hockey Gods, smite them)

Reality check.

The 'Landers have won 2 against Les Brahs this season and should have won a third until that collapse in the third back in November.

But MrBigTime is right. One team is fighting for the playoffs and the other aint. I hope Streit doesnt dress tonight and MTL keeps up with their recent determination.

Tune in at 11 should the Habs lose and you want to see an angry Booche.