Jambands.ca

Go Sens Go - Fan Forum 08/09

badams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i was a kid i tripped started going head over heels in the top deck at the Aud in Buffalo. A dude down the stairs from me jumped in front of me and caught me. Don't know if I would have gone over as I was pretty small, but still scared me silly. Still go very slowly and carefully down the upper deck stairs.

I was at the Aud years ago. I can't recall any Arena I've been in seeming so steep. Maybe it was just the booze :)

Guest Low Roller
Nothing is worse than a head full of pscyhs at a Dead show and having to travel up high in some scarey arena. I swore a few times I had fallen off the top level only to notice I was still sitting in my seat, luckily.

You must've tripped. rimshot.gif

The Senators had a couple of scares Saturday night when Alfredsson got hit in the foot with a shot by Pittsburgh's Hal Gill (Alfredsson said he'll be okay) and when D Brendan Bell ripped one off the back of W Chris Neil's leg just when he was going to throw down with Penguins tough guy Eric Godard. "(Neil) didn't even flinch. At a normal time of the game he would have gone down in a heap," said Hartsburg. "When you're focused on fighting a 6-foot-4, 235-lb. guy, I guess a slap shot in the back of the leg doesn't seem to bother you. I watched it on the video again (yesterday), it was like, 'Holy cow.' It just shows you when you're mentally focused on something, you can put up with a lot."

Guest Low Roller

For those Emery-haters out there, you'll be disappointed to know that he's doing quite well in Russia.

GAA of 1.92 in 20 games, save percentage of 0.935. Only 2 minutes in penalties, which is surprising because I figured that he'd be raging all over the place there.

Hello, Ray? You there, Ray? it's Sean ...

James Duthie

The Ottawa Citizen

Saturday, December 06, 2008

And now the next episode in the bizarro reality show that is Sean Avery:

Image Rehabilitation. (Also known as Career Salvation.)

What other choice is there? The Dallas Stars don't want him back. No one will trade for him (except Tampa Bay maybe -- it takes everybody!) Even the minor-league teams Dallas would love to send him to are turning their backs. (How far have you fallen when the Manitoba Moose want no part of you?)

So the only option left is self re-invention.

If Avery were a rock or movie star (which he apparently believes he is), the next move would be obvious: Check into some faux-rehab clinic (Foot-In-Mouth Addiction?), then do Oprah, People magazine and pronounce yourself a changed man.

Sadly, Oprah has never heard of hockey, and People has Britney booked for the next six covers. So with nowhere else to turn, a desperate Avery calls the one guy who might be able to help him out: Somewhere in Russia, a cellphone rings.

Ray Emery: "Ugghh ... Uh ... What the ... Where am I ... Uhh ... Hel ... lo?''

Avery: "Oh, geez, sounds like I woke you up. Sorry, man. Is it the middle of the night in Russia?''

Ray (rolls over and looks at clock): "Nah, it's noon. Oh, crap, did I miss practice?!? Wait ... oh, ya ... day off ... Phewww. Hey, who is this, anyway?''

Avery: "It's Sean.''

Emery: "Shean Donovan! Great to hear from a Sen! I knew one of you would call me eventually! It only took ... seven months. Wassup!?! You guys miss me, don'tcha? I bet Alex Auld's suits are weak, right? No way that dude could pull off a top hat!"

Avery: "No ... no. It's Sean AVERY! But you're right about the suits. I interned at Vogue, Ray. They even talk about your duds there.''

Emery: "Oh, that Sean Avery! Good to hear from you. How your Rangers doing?"

Avery: "Uhh ... yeah ... I actually signed with Dallas last summer.''

Emery: "Oh ... sorry. I don't get much NHL news over here. How's Melrose doin' in Tampa, by the way? He's one cool cat. He'll do really well there. Anyway, Dallas, eh? Good for you! Must be nice to get out of that media spotlight in NYC. You know, somewhere you can keep a nice, low profile, stay out of trouble."

Avery: "Uhh, yeah, well about that ... .''

Emery: "Oh-oh. What happened? You wave your stick in front of a goalie again to screen him? I thought that was hilarious, dude! Though just to be clear, I would have speared you in the groin."

Avery: "Nah, it wasn't that. I just made a little joke ... tried to get under Phaneuf's skin ... it didn't quite get the reaction I was hoping for.''

Emery: "That's all?''

Avery: "Basically. Oh, there were a couple of other little things. I ripped the NHL and most of its stars. I didn't really talk to anyone all year in the dressing room. I didn't listen to my coaches. And I pretty much turned into the worst free agent signing in history. But that's about it. And now get this! For some bizarre reason, my teammates don't want me back! And nobody in the league will trade for me, either.''

Emery: "Been there.''

Avery: "Yeah, that's why I called. What did you learn from your ... umm ... problems in Ottawa?"

Emery: "Well, let's see. I learned that I need an alarm clock with an amplifier. And I learned that there are some bad freakin' drivers in that city, dude! How hard is it to pull over when a Hummer's coming up you're freakin' ... "

Avery (interrupting): "No, no ... I mean what did you learn about yourself? Because I hear you're playing great in Russia and behaving, and that you'll probably be back in the NHL soon.''

Emery: "Oh. Wow. Tough one. I really just came here for the hot Russian swimsuit models and the fur coats. They have some sick furs here, bro!''

Avery: "Really? I'm in! You should see the shades I wore at my hearing with Bettman! P-I-M-P, baby!"

Emery: "Sweet! Well, maybe you should come here. Trust me, one trouble-free season in Russia and no one will remember any of the bad stuff you did before.''

Avery (excited): "Really, no one?"

Emery: "OK, Phaneuf might."

James Duthie is the host of the NHL on TSN. He blogs Tuesdays and Thursdays at theottawacitizen.com