Jambands.ca

Shady Zaphod's mailing list practice

ollie

I'm on the TicketWeb site looking to buy tickets for the Jon Lajoie show and saw this fine print:

Zaphod's tickets are only available for purchase on TicketWeb to people that opt-in to Zaphod's subscriber list. People that choose not to opt-in to that list will only be able to buy tickets at the door. Tickets purchased at the door are on a first come-first served basis, IF any are available, and will be priced higher than online.

So the only way to buy tickets online is to sign up to their mailing list. I know AD, no skin off anyone's back since I guess you can unsubscribe shortly after but it's just another example of Eugene being a weenie I felt like pointing out.

hey, you don't have to convince me that eugene's a dick. i used to stick up for him but after hearing many a story from local bands (and especially after reading the 'rules' of zaphods) he is indeed a huge weenie. in the parlance of our times.

Heh, heh... that was just a little joke. ;)

Oh yeah, the thing before this that bugged me was the message he sent out to members of the Zaphod's Facebook group lamenting the Bluesfest organizers reaping money off his back since they were booking bands that he "broke" in Ottawa. The gist of it was that we should continue to support Zaphod's instead of going to Bluesfest.

I realize Eugene *has* done a lot for the scene but it's hard to like him when he's so self-congratulatory about it.

Wow. Check out the level of nerdiness that Eugene stoops to. I think I hate him.

[color:purple]Anyway, I have my tickets in hand. Are they going to be checking ticket numbers against e-mail addresses at the door?

Your email address is showing up as blacklisted on Zaphod's email subscriber list. This may be because you have requested to NOT be part of our email newsletters. That is your prerogative and we respect your wishes. However, ONLY people that sign up for our email list are allowed to purchase advance tickets to Zaphod's shows. The following Terms & Conditions are stated clearly prior to your online purchase:

Zaphod's tickets are only available for purchase on TicketWeb to people that opt-in to Zaphod's subscriber list. People that choose not to opt-in to that list will only be able to buy tickets at the door. Tickets purchased at the door are on a first come-first served basis, IF any are available, and will be priced higher than online.

I understand and accept these terms.

You agreed to those terms in order to have purchased JON LAJOIE tickets. If you do not wish to be on our email list, your ticket requests will NOT be honoured by us and you must purchase your tickets at the door, if any are available, at a higher price. In this particular case the show is sold out and therefore there will not be any tickets available at the door.

We mainly appeal to a dedicated audience that keeps this club alive and supports our work. We also pass along great prices on shows by not having to spend outrageous amounts to advertise shows to people that are only occasionally interested in what we do. We therefore believe that if people are not willing to be a part of our regular audience database, then they should not be able to partake of these great shows and prices, and should only be able to purchase tickets at the door at higher prices, if any are available.

If you wish to be reinstated to purchase online tickets to any of our shows, you must go www.ZaphodBeeblebrox.com and re-enter and validate your email address to be on our mailing list.

Please confirm how you would like to proceed within the next 24 hours.

Cheers,

Eugene

We mainly appeal to a dedicated audience that keeps this club alive and supports our work. We also pass along great prices on shows by not having to spend outrageous amounts to advertise shows to people that are only occasionally interested in what we do. We therefore believe that if people are not willing to be a part of our regular audience database, then they should not be able to partake of these great shows and prices, and should only be able to purchase tickets at the door at higher prices, if any are available.

WOW! so, unless you are a regular they don't really want you coming to the club?!? weenie is not quite the strong enough term to describe Eugene.

My wife refuses to go to Zaphods because she thinks Eugene is a total jerk. An opinion that has nothing to do with his association (well, ownership of) with Zaphods. Our kids used to go to the same pre-school. Her opinion is based on her encounters with him in that setting. Clearly the dude is an all round weenie.

It still won't stop me from seeing shows there if it's a band that I really want to see. But it will stop me from buying any drinks at the place. I'm not worried about the Spades selling out, so the email list thing is not an issue for that show. Don't know what I'd do if I was planning to see a band that I expect to sell out.

So, I gather that tickets are no longer available in advance at the bar? I recall purchasing tix that way in the past.

Don't know what I'd do if I was planning to see a band that I expect to sell out.

I signed up to the mailing list so as to avoid any shenanigans at the door. Doesn't stop me from putting the e-mail address it comes from in my spam filter.

Wonder if I can get an "I don't want to be on your mailing list" t-shirt made for Saturday.

hey, you don't have to convince me that eugene's a dick. i used to stick up for him but after hearing many a story from local bands (and especially after reading the 'rules' of zaphods) he is indeed a huge weenie. in the parlance of our times.

Just curious, it's been ages since I've been to Zaphod's and even longer since I played there ... what exactly are the "rules" of Zaphod's?

I was there when you picked up your tickets. The tickets are paid for, but they are telling you that your money is no good unless you are an ad target?

There must be some basic rights being violated here.

I think an article needs to be written about this. AD.... send a letter.

Show up to the show with a video camera and film them not letting you in and the reasons. this is fucking unbelievable.