Jambands.ca

Stephen Harper is an enemy of Canada

ollie

I hear you! I'm all for investing in the system and making it better... never said I wasn't. Just PURELY commenting the actual sit down and administer shot side of their operation was a lot better than ours.

The hospital I was talking about - Munson Medical Center is a non profit health care centre.

Regional health care was a big talker for the Harris government when he started to cut funding to smaller hospitals... gotta drive to get it. I was just trying to irritate Ollie as he was digging into me.

But in the words of can-o-phish my line about letting debate breath "was commenting in general towards Birdy's posts, not just health care..."

If you could cite examples, we could be here all day. :)

Edited by Guest

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AD, I'd be interested in the particulars of that case but I'd guess you probably don't have that information.

don't have the details, no. except that they live in virginia and would most definitely have health insurance, probably provided by his current employer.

you guys sure write a lot in this thread.

Just PURELY commenting the actual sit down and administer shot side of their operation was a lot better than ours.

In your experience right?

Regional health care was a big talker for the Harris government when he started to cut funding to smaller hospitals... gotta drive to get it. I was just trying to irritate Ollie as he was digging into me.

Well so much for honest debate. I might "dig" you but I don't misconstrue my point to do so. Not that I actually know what you're referring to here anyway.

But in the words of can-o-phish my line about letting debate breath "was commenting in general towards Birdy's posts' date=' not just health care..."

[/quote']

If you could cite examples, we could be here all day. :)

Are you admitting that there are that many examples out there? Mighty big of you. ;)

Yes, in my experience Ollie. I'm saying the fact that there exists shitty experiences, means our system doesn't 'rock'.

I wasn't miscontrueing my point either. As I said in my reply to KK, regional healthcare was something the Harris government talked up quite a bit under the "Common Sense Revolution". How's that a misconstruction?

And no, i'm not saying there's many examples of me not 'letting debate breathe' out there at all. I'm saying should you try to pull something up as an example, i'll show you differently.

Yes, in my experience Ollie. I'm saying the fact that there exists shitty experiences, means our system doesn't 'rock'.

In the sense that you will never achieve 100% perfection (not that you shouldn't strive for it), yes it does rock. Especially when you take the libertarian ethos of making it work for you.

I wasn't miscontrueing my point either. As I said in my reply to KK, regional healthcare was something the Harris government talked up quite a bit under the "Common Sense Revolution". How's that a misconstruction?

I got confused by what you meant about trying to irritate me and I think I understand now... trying to equate my position to Mike Harris? Consider me irritated. That fucker's cuts had a direct effect on my family.

And no, i'm not saying there's many examples of me not 'letting debate breathe' out there at all. I'm saying should you try to pull something up as an example, i'll show you differently.

I'll keep a running tally from now on, ok?

For some reason, I'm finding it really really hard to back down today.

I guess you're just as irritated now as I was when you mentioned I'd probably like freedominion.ca better and then furthered that by saying those people are better than I am... so in that respect, I'm sorry.

And honestly, if you want to keep a 'running tally' feel free. Whatever. Suggestion though - why a politics forum if you can't handle a different opinion?

And honestly, if you want to keep a 'running tally' feel free. Whatever. Suggestion though - why a politics forum if you can't handle a different opinion?

I'm reacting to your opinion. You're reacting to mine. If I couldn't handle it I wouldn't be here.

I'm really, really out this time... until I get home.

I am pretty sure that every city with 100,000 people in the U.S.A doesn't have a great hospital in town. It's just reality. As I am sure in some cities with 100,000 people in Canada there are enough doctors and health care proffesionals. A friend of mine in the States has a disease and needs to have a doctors check-up very often. Right now he is covered under his mother's health insurance but unfortunatly once he graduate's he will need his own insurance. They have been looking for health insurance for him but he can not get it. They don't have the money to spend therefore, he will not be able to get regular check-ups which could lead to death. Sound's like great health care birdy.

Again, this has nothing to do with affordability. Maybe if i explained it along the lines of a person who can afford healthcare in the US, versus a person who gets free health care in Canada, that would better indicate my point. I don't pretend to be a fan of privatized healthcare, at all. All I am saying, is in a privatized system, they don't experience the kinds of problems we do (I do understand, they're not without faults). I just think there's a fundamental problem when you call something universal, have people pay a LOT of money in taxes for it to be universal, and then not have it be universal. I think there's things we can do about it, and I prefer that we did them. I would like to walk into a hospital and not have to wait forever, I'd like to be able to call a doctor and get a same day appointment and I'd like to be able to not have to worry for a month and half straight that I might have breast cancer. These things don't necessarily have to happen and I think it would be a good thing to be honest about the state of care and hope to make it better.

I got all excited this morning when I logged on and saw 43 new posts, but quickly realized that my excitement was misplaced.

Here is the most relevent item posted by anyone in this argument:

If our hospitals did NOT have to service everyone, and only those who could afford it, i'd bet that their care would rank in that top-100 as well.

Birdy, while I entirely agree that there are problems in the system and that the services in Canada could be improved - especially in rural areas and the smaller cities - I don't think it's useful to compare the service quality level of the two different systems for precisely the reason that KK mentioned above. The systems are entirely different - apples and oranges. We might as well be comparing the Yankees to the Celtics.

If we're going to compare, we should probably compare the Canadian system to the British one - at least then we would be comparing two different varieties of oranges.

:) It was an overly productive day.

I hear you and I cease my case. I'm watching 90210 and thinking it's the most ridiculous thing ever. Did Brenda get cheek implants? She looks different. My favourite part so far was the dramatic deletion of Dylan McKay's contact details on her cell phone.

If we're going to compare, we should probably compare the Canadian system to the British one - at least then we would be comparing two different varieties of oranges.

Thanks hamilton, that's what I was getting at. It's like comparing the quality of the fairways and greens on a public golf-course and a private one ;)

I have family living in the Parry Sound area and they have a brand new hospital up there. There are minimal wait times and service is relatively quick. I reminded my Dad that this wasn't because it was superior to the hospitals in Toronto, but rather because it is servicing FAR FEWER people. It's good that they plan for future growth, but eventually it will be bogged-down with wait times, etc. unless a better funding system is discovered.

Edited by Guest