Jambands.ca

"Phishy" auctions on eBay...

tweezer2001

Phish tickets on ebay

Be wary of 'Phishy' auctions on eBay

BY MATTHEW STURDEVANT | 757-247-7874

October 3, 2008

The top story for several hours Wednesday on Google News under the "Entertainment" section was that Vermont-based jam-band Phish is planning three reunion concerts March 6, 7 and 8, at the Hampton Coliseum. The buzz started slow, just seven articles on Google News at 10 a.m. Wednesday, but it mushroomed to 417 articles by 7:20 p.m. Many were written not by a wire service like The Associated Press, but by bloggers or staff writers for Web sites, newspapers and magazines, including those at MTV.com, Chicago Tribune, the Los Angeles Times' blogs and E! Online. Lots of writers felt the need to give the story a personal touch, which says something about the draw of this band.

From the 1990s to the time the band split in 2004, Phish attracted an estimated 60,000 to 85,000 people to a handful of multiple-day concerts in upstate New York, Vermont, northern Maine and the Florida Everglades.

Hampton Coliseum's capacity is less than 14,000.

It didn't take long for two economic realities to settle in: the demand for Phish tickets will outdo the supply, and the city of Hampton is in the money. On Wednesday, the day the reunion concert was announced, 25 separate sets of tickets were being auctioned on eBay for as much as $799 a pair and none for less than $285 per ticket. Here's the catch: nobody actually has any tickets. The real sale price is $49.50 per ticket, and an undisclosed number of them are available through a lottery on the band's Web site. The lottery ends Oct. 8, and remaining tickets go on sale Oct. 18 through Ticketmaster.

And while there may be something fishy about those scalped tickets, the money that will come to Hampton will be flowing green. Hotels in the city are completely booked for that weekend, and the concerts will be a definite bump in local tax revenue — lodging, sales and meals taxes, said Commissioner of the Revenue Ross Mugler.

"I don't think there's anything else that drives the revenue like this," Mugler said of Phish concerts at the Coliseum. "For some reason, they (the fans) have lots of expendable income."

Mike' date=' nobody has tickets. These are ticket "speculators", that are selling tickets they expect to secure.[/quote']

Doesn't it make you wonder about the owners of the site's connection to being the exclusive seller's of Phish tickets on Oct. 18th ?

Mike' date=' nobody has tickets. These are ticket "speculators", that are selling tickets they expect to secure.[/quote']

Doesn't it make you wonder about the owners of the site's connection to being the exclusive seller's of Phish tickets on Oct. 18th ?

Anybody can sell tickets on the site. The site basically acts as the agent, getting the buyers and sellers together. There's nothing stopping any of us from putting (non-existant) tickets on sale right now. I've sold tickets on a similar site - Stubhub. YOU set the price. They take a commission and make it very easy to sell the tix. (Stubhub even sends you a Fedex shipping label.) There are Phish Hampton tickets on Stubhub right now - $1500 for the first night!

No, not at all. TicketsNow is a site for brokers and fans to sell tickets - not for TicketMaster to sell tickets.

Remove your tin foil cap.

or, if sites that allowed scalping weren't owned by ticketmaster and all tickets weren't sold by ticketmaster, then maybe concert tickets and fees wouldn't be so expensive.

TicketsNow is just one of MANY such sites. Major League Baseball promotes Stubhub (on their website, and during ball games on the radio) which is also a place for people to scalp tickets for ball games.

And trust me, I hate Ticketmaster as much as you do. I find the current system abhorrent.

I only now get that it's Tickets-Now. I keep seeing it as Ticket-Snow.

And as for the ticketbastard employee selling tickets thing - I find it hard to believe I've never made friends with a ticketbastard employee. I think they hire non-social people on purpose.

fight on booche!

agree with ya..there are other ticket 'brokers' out there but they are not the ones selling the 'orignal' tix. CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

personally, have never bought a ticket for more than face...ie. if 32 paid 35 or whatever. also have never sold for more than face/ including nYE 96/97,97/98 which were tough tix at the time...however, have made what both parties consider fair trades.

Edited by Guest

I understand that ticketing for a large-scale arena show is a big undertaking, logistically. I also understand that if fans wouldn't pay scalpers for tickets, there would be no more scalpers.

That said, I am disappointed that Phish doesn't seem to care as much as they should about scalping. They do the lottery, which is a nice gesture and levels the playing field to an extent, but I have a hard time believing that the band does everything in its power to curb the secondary market.

This is part of why I was hoping the first show(s) back would be at a bigger venue. Not a stadium, but at least a decent sized arena, thus increasing supply by a few thousand and easing the squeeze a little bit.

As a bit of an aside: ticket scalping, especially regulated scalping like seen on StubHub and TicketsNow makes me angry. Having said that, I would rather our governments spend their time frying bigger fish. Exorbitant ticket prices to Hampton are a pain in the ass, but I would rather those in our legislative houses fix health care before making sure I can get my heady extra.