Jambands.ca

Conservative Minority = Bye Bye Harper

can-o-phish

CBC just called it and I wouldn't be surprised if Canada's first coalition government is formed and they sidestep a non-confidence vote because sure as shite the opposition isn't going to let Harper continue with his government for another 2 1/2 years...

So bye bye Stephen, bye bye Stephane, hello country in chaos ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it seems this is the lowest voter turnout in history...approximately 1 out of 2 Canadians voted and the on-line chatter points that people are angry that it wasn't time to go to the polls, there were no strong leaders and at a time when the economy is fragile there were more important things to be doing than electing a second minority government...

Why would anyone outside of Quebec want to see a coalition with the Bloc?

Because the Bloc have one of the best platforms going and would garner an aweful lot of support outside Quebec but for the seperatism.

Why would anyone outside Alberta/Saskatchewan want to see Stephen Harper. period.

Because they don't realise that Alberta is a nation and Ontario is not, it is several and would garner little support, funding or attention as several little nations... Alberta however.

People can go ahead and think I'm paranoid but Duceppe is far more concerned with the survival of his party as a seperatist entity than he is with defeating Harper. Harper's platform, while in the short-term weakening the need for Quebec seperatism, ultimately creates a political platform from which to claim historical legitimacy.

And from there we have nations, vast and potentialy feudal, and no more Canada to boss Harper's Albertan grandchildren around.

Or until Kingdom comes.

But no one who spends their days reading fiction would ever believe that a politician would have a secret or long term agenda.

I don't think you are paranoid at all, but I don't know how secret it is .. Harper is no fan of federalism. He's an incrementalist, and happy to take his time to empower provinces against the federal state.

This, from where I stand, is what really remains in the way of a consistent distinction between the Liberal and Conservative parties (if you subtract campaign rhetoric). Whatever else they may be, the Liberals are for the most part, genuinely federalists.

The Bloc is a separatist party' date=' first and foremost. The rest of their platform doesn't matter because they're a separatist party![/quote']

Not being rude, but what you wrote is the very definition of ignorant.

No, it's not.

The Bloc wants a disunited Canada, first and foremost. If they were to form a coalition government, which they wouldn't, they would have to cede this fundamental backbone of their political existence to work together for a united Canada.

Where the Bloc platform does matter, is when they operate outside of a coalition in a united Canada and serve to hold those elected governments accountable.

If they were to form a coalition government, which they wouldn't, they would have to cede this fundamental backbone of their political existence to work together for a united Canada.

This is totally true and the Bloc is very upfront about this. They will work issue by issue in opposition, they will not form official alliances.

I think that maybe you got misunderstood. I can't speak for anyone else, but I do know that I initially misunderstood what you meant by "doesn't matter". You didn't mean that the Bloc's policies are irrelevant in the general sense, but rather that it doesn't matter how much they have in common with the other parties when assessing the likelihood of them forming a coalition with those other parties, because their central tenant precludes them from taking part in such things. Yes?

I think it's laughable that a separatist party are officially part of a federal election.

It doesn't make sense to me and I resent our laws that allow it.

On the other hand, the Bloc have done wonders for Quebec and should pave the way for more geocentric parties.

It's not really all that hard to sway the rural/bedroom community, and blue collar vote. It just takes persistance and hitting those fear button issues.

The Conservatives have failed in every MAJOR urban centre...places where cultures and social classes overlap and people more freely communicate with people that are different than they are.

A lot can be said for the media socialization of urban/rural voters and also the advantages and luxuries that modern voters have that they don't want to think about giving up (big car, kooshy job, freedom to not address a need for a change of lifestyle and ideals)

While this isn't the end of the world it's also not entirely positive. It could be worse, but that's what most of the country voted for because it *could* be worse. Too bad most of Canada isn't willing to take a chance on being much better. A few years of hardship isn't really the worst thing for us.

I don't even want to imagine how luke warm the next term and few subsequent terms will be because of the lack of progress an Economist as PM is bound to bring.

I think we need someone that snowboards to run for PM. Somebody that can get people to take chances.

It's about time for everyone to send out some good vibes to get what we want.

New Seats for the House of Commons?