Jambands.ca

Conservative Minority = Bye Bye Harper

can-o-phish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Liberals need a new leader and with the economy failing the Conservatives will probably be in a much worse spot when we go to the polls again (in December).

I think the title of this thread is quite appropriate.

Without question the Liberals need a new leader. The numbers say it all. Down 27 seats, only the second Liberal leader possibly not to become Prime Minister. The Liberals still have the very dark cloud of the Sponsorship Scandal covering them and not very many, if any, apolgies were made to the people of Canada for the theft of tax payers money...Dion just wasn't the person for this role...Kennedy should have been the person to lead the party and I'm sure that we'll hear much about him in the days & months to follow...

The low voting turnout speaks in VOLUMES...Harper was too deaf and arrogant to hear it and believed in "the polls" hoping for a majority government when most Canadians DIDN'T want to go back to the polls. He has probably signed his own walking papers for that blunder...

It's not hard to determine the low voter percentage as there really wasn't a leader who was worth voting for 47% of registered voters...

And for many people in busy cities having an election following a long weekend definitely played a factor into making it to the polls...some of you may laugh or find that hard to believe but it it was a question asked and many responded that it wasn't a perfect day to have a federal election...

And it's not just bye bye Harper, it's also bye bye Dion...

And possibly bye bye Layton? He's a strong leader but one has to think that this was his absolute best shot he's ever had at it, yet he still falls within the same range.

I think this government is going to sit for awhile. The Libs are most likely going to come under a leadership review/convention in the near future and then will need to start rebuilding yet again. Sad to say, but I think we're going to see more of the same with them saying one thing and voting the other. I only hope those who predict Justin Trudeau as the new liberal leader are wrong. They certainly have a big job in front of them.

I also think this campaign was a huge eye-opener for the Conservatives, especially regarding Quebec and arts and culture. Surely Stephen Harper was thinking that to himself last night as his party did absolutely nothing there. While he made a lot of progress Canada wide and should be happy about it, every politico knows you're not going to get a majority without Quebec. Hence the whole courtship that's been going on for at least my 30 years. Should be interesting to see how he realigns himself with the French-Canadian vote.

Stephane Dion had an excellent speech last night.

And possibly bye bye Layton? He's a strong leader but one has to think that this was his absolute best shot he's ever had at it, yet he still falls within the same range.

didn't the NDP pick up 8 seats or something? including their first Quebec seat and even a seat in Alberta (defeating Rahim Jaffer?)

Layton will stick around. Your analysis doesn't seem right to me.

It wasn't really an analysis, just a possibility amongst many. Yep, the Dippers made some grounds last night, but in reality, they're still where they normally always fall. And if the Liberals get their shit together and rebuild like they hope, I don't know what that will mean for Layton. I'm assuming he picked up those 8 seats primarily from the Liberal camp.

Why the government believes that Canadians could possibly have changed their minds so drastically since our last annual election I do not know. I predict the election to be very similar to last and therefore also predict that we get to do this all again very soon. Hopefully I am so, so wrong.

Damn.

I suspect Harper may realise that advertising money=votes while stating policy loses votes.

ergo, next election he'll start the attack ads even sooner and announce his platform even later, with a continued muzzling of his party members potentially including himself, and if he can get away with it he won't take part in the debates.

Or perhaps I'm bitter.

Y'know, ironically I've thought all along that the best candidate for me personally is Harper because the only real thing he's offered Canadians (things like youth crime plans and arts cuts are taking things away in my opinion) is a tax break on music lessons, my bread and butter. But I'm disappointed because frankly I do well enough and I don't want to pick my leader solely on how it helps me personally, but how it helps the whole country. Bottom line is I want someone in power that adds to my Canadian pride. When I travel internationally I always feel great when someone mentions how they wish their country was more like Canada. That happens less and less, what with Afghanistan and Maher Arar and stuff like that.

sigh

Time to get on with enjoying life. I'm going for a bike ride to see the leaves.

Can you please stop referring to Stephen Harper as an economist! He makes us look bad. As far as I can tell, although he did obtain an M.A. in economics, he doesn't seem to have ever applied it or worked in the profession. He doesn't seem to believe the economic evidence on issues such as climate change and taxes.

from "The Economics of Climate Change"

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=29189887901

CANADA's LEADING ECONOMISTS CALL FOR ACTION ON CLIMATE CHANGE.

As of Oct 7, 2008, more than 240 economists teaching in Canadian universities have signed an open letter to federal political leaders calling for economically coherent action on climate change. By joining this group you're showing your support for this very worthy cause. We are aiming to have over 1000 members by October 14 (election day).

“Economists disagree on many things, but on what needs to be done about climate change there is considerable agreement"

The signatories agree on these 10 principles:

1. Canada needs to act on climate change now.

2. Any substantive action will involve economic costs.

3. These economic impacts cannot be an excuse for inaction.

4. Pricing carbon is the best approach from an economic perspective.

- Pricing allows each business and family to choose the response that is best and most efficient for them.

- Pricing induces innovation.

- Carbon is almost certainly under-priced right now.

5. Regulation is the most expensive way to meet a given climate change goal.

6. A carbon tax has the advantage of providing certainty in the price of carbon.

7. A cap and trade system provides certainty on the quantity of carbon emitted, but not on the price of carbon and can be a highly complex policy to implement.

8. Although carbon taxes have the most obvious effects on consumers, all carbon reduction policies increase the prices individuals face.

9. Price mechanisms can be regressive and our policy should address this.

10. A pricing mechanism can allow other taxes to be reduced and provide an opportunity to improve the tax system.

Can you please stop referring to Stephen Harper as an economist! He makes us look bad. As far as I can tell, although he did obtain an M.A. in economics, he doesn't seem to have ever applied it or worked in the profession.

as much as i don't like Harper, as the leader of a G8 country i'm pretty sure he's 'worked in the profession.'

Can you please stop referring to Stephen Harper as an economist! He makes us look bad. As far as I can tell' date=' although he did obtain an M.A. in economics, he doesn't seem to have ever applied it or worked in the profession. [/quote']

as much as i don't like Harper, as the leader of a G8 country i'm pretty sure he's 'worked in the profession.'

the profession of politics, yes. the discipline of economics - not even close.