Jambands.ca

New LPC Leader?

Birdy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CTV saying now that the Rae faction isn't so happy with the idea of McCallum and is pushing for Ralph Goodale, while the Ignatieff camp continues to push for McCallum. And that Dryden is in the mix as a relatively neutral option, but there are concerns that his french isn't up to par.

CTV saying now that the Rae faction isn't so happy with the idea of McCallum and is pushing for Ralph Goodale, while the Ignatieff camp continues to push for McCallum. And that Dryden is in the mix as a relatively neutral option, but there are concerns that his french isn't up to par.

Why are they getting all out of sorts about who's going to be the interim party leader? Or are people suggesting McCallum for the permanent as well as interim leader?

Aloha,

Brad

Honestly, I'm not sure why it is such a big deal to them. I don't think McCallum is being considered at all for a permanent leader. Maybe it is just sour grapes because McCallum supported Ignatieff in the last leadership race and the desire to reward Goodale, who seems to want the job.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it is such a big deal to them. I don't think McCallum is being considered at all for a permanent leader. Maybe it is just sour grapes because McCallum supported Ignatieff in the last leadership race and the desire to reward Goodale, who seems to want the job.

Maybe the interim leader has some authorities (where and when a leadership convention will be held, for example) that'll be relevant in the selection of a new permanent leader? (Hux, your input would be appreciated here.)

Aloha,

Brad

I just caught a report on CBC Newsworld on the interim leader situation, and they mentioned how, while some are pushing for Goodale, he doesn't speak French (while McCallum does), and since they're looking to the interim leader to make a strong impression in parliament, Goodale's lack of French will reduce how effective he is in that role.

Aloha,

Brad

Maybe the interim leader has some authorities (where and when a leadership convention will be held, for example) that'll be relevant in the selection of a new permanent leader? (Hux, your input would be appreciated here.)

When and where is already decided, but yeah, I think you are right in that there is probably the worry that some sort of preferential treatment could be extended in some way, or maybe that whoever is selected will get to set the tone of the party going forward (which would indirectly favour the leadership candidate with the most compatible ideology).

I'd totally love to hear from Hux on this as well as his thoughts on the upcoming leadership race overall, if he is willing to be public with it.

The Liberal national executive is scheduled to meet at 3:30 this afternoon to decide on it.

Now that Stephane Dion has mercifully agreed to get lost, prominent Liberals and influential Canadians of all stripe are burning up the phone lines to Frank McKenna, practically begging the former New Brunswick premier to jump into the Liberal leadership race.

"He is being utterly flooded with calls from all over the place," says one of McKenna's closest confidants.

But is he even thinking about running?

"He is certainly not oblivious to all the people who are calling on him -- I would put his odds (of running) at 49-51."

If that's true, Dion's demise could soon lead to a dramatic change in the political landscape unimagined even a week ago.

Realistically, if McKenna decided to run, odds are the Liberal leadership race would quickly become a coronation.

ottawa sun

Yeah, and McKenna's platform: You can't blame me for how fucked up the Liberal party is. I wasn't here. I'll fix it.

I think he was asked to leave in the first place probably for this very reason.

McKenna and Iggy are the only two candidates in Harpers league... no surprise they are outsiders/newcommers in the current Liberal regime. I know how sad many of you read this as, but it's true... and even then their inheriting such an inbred, dysfunctional party, that it's unlikely they'll be able to rally significantly with so many new parties trying to light a fire under the 50% of Canadians who didnt vote IMO.

Still job one for the new liberal leader is to fix the party before they have any chance at losing their backward momentum... and quite frankly I welcome it... I like having a kaleidoscopic minority parliament. Even if all those boobs haven't figured out how to work together well yet, it'll come. Events will grind the gears, and hopefully a new, more mature parliament will evolve out of the upgraded machine. I think I have the bitter taste the last 15 years of Liberal leadership left on the electorate to thank.

I hope it's McKenna.

Or Iggy.

No Bob Rae. Please, no Bob Rae.

Bob Rae doesn't really sound like a Prime Minister's name either... Prime Minister Bob Rae of Canada... nope.

Prime Minister Michael Ignatieff of Canada... maybe.

Prime Minister Frank McKenna of Canada... not really, but maybe.

Second time you've mentioned Manley, I'm intrigued - why the love? (Not a trap, just raw curiosity)

Because he looks a bit like Beaker from the Muppet Show.

I dunno. I guess I think he did a good job on all three of the portfolios he held during Chretien's government - especially Industry, which is an essential but curiously underappreciated portfolio. And he seems likeably modest without being dull - exactly the sort of politician that Canadians like to vote for. A policy wonk with more personality.

Having said that though, I think Frank McKenna has a better chance of being Liberal leader.