Jambands.ca

dollar

tigger

I know it is beneficial for the manufactoring sector; but seeing as our banks seemed to come out fareley well compared to the majority of all the other first world Nations' Banks .How did our dollar take such a nose dive so rappidly?

Edited by Guest

I wonder if currency traders are maybe seeing Canada as a more chaotic (or less attractive) place to invest (across the board, not just in the banking sector), and so aren't buying dollars on the currency exchanges; the reduced demand drives the price of dollars down.

Aloha,

Brad

All currencies are diving. Plus, I think the money is being poured into the American dollar right now. Even though their economy has crashed the American dollar is still the most important currency in the world (like it or not). It's a safe haven to have it on a currency that will always exist. Whereas some other currencies in smaller countries could vanish. And which currency would they then rely on?... The U.S.

what basher said.

...i'm wondering if in 10 years the most widely used currency won't be the Euro. US better pull up their socks or they won't even have their own money.

Here is some light reading, not a long article but it'll get ya thinking.

Collapse of the American Dollar

Oh, and it was written in '04. funny to see how much of what they predicted has come true 4 years later.

Edited by Guest

The Canadian dollar is tied to commodity prices, which have nosedived. We are also exporters, and when your customers can't get credit it is bad.

Agreed. Although I would have thought that the various U.S. bailout packages would have devalued their currency.

I may be wrong, but as I understand it, when our dollar was highest in the past year or two, it was actually still going down in value on a global scale. It was only worth more versus the U.S. dollar because it was doing even worse. I would have expected the same, even with the decreasing commodities prices.

[and boy oh boy am I kicking myself for not changing my "show savings" account to U.S. 3 weeks ago when it was at $.96 and I was in the bank and the buyout was in Congress or the Senate and I hypothesized as above. In other words, don't take financial advice from me.]

thanks ,I also wondered about the idea that some way currencies were tide loosely to the future potential that a particular Nation or Nations had to generate bussiness .Still with all our resources which is like money in the Bank still wondering.Also not all currencies can go down isn't like the scale in Lady of justices hand.

Basically its all a mess right now and changes day to day. I would think the Euro would be stronger than CAD or USD - but thats based on nothing more then Europe '72 being a great tour.

I'm hitting the US in a couple weeks. My strategy right now is to check the rate a few times a day - if it gets back up to $0.85 I'll head straight to the bank and change my money over. I don't think its going to happen though.

The euro is dropping as there's speculation the European central bank is going to cut interest rates again. If I were converting to euros I'd do it now... it's the lowest it's been in four years... or so I seem to recall reading somewhere. I'd speculate it's not going to gain *much* ground, if any before you have to cash in your dollars.

I just converted some money into pounds for a trip over to England on Saturday... 49cents = 1 pound... OUCH.

In one way I couldn't be happier - converting USD to CAD right now is like the old times: free money.

On the other hand, Americans are having trouble pulling together the funds to send out those cheques, and that is scary.

Edited by Guest
stray apostrophe

I saved about $80 by watching the currency closely on Friday and then converting my money online to US funds as soon as the CDN dollar started to dip again. I paid $1.1960 to buy my US dollars, and right now it costs $1.2716 to buy the same money at TD EasyWeb.

Crazy how fast this stuff is moving.