Jambands.ca

Great boxing match on Saturday night!

Jaimoe

He's a fraud Roller. Did you see the Holyfield fight?

Self-righteous about boxing? Boxing is often a mess, even in amateur, but I love it as an art form. And it is indeed an art form. I'm partly having fun with the UFC fanboys anyway. I like blood sports, but MMA's is too much for me on most nights, unless I really hate one of the guys competing.

And I didn't even think Booche followed boxing with any kind of passion. We've barely ever discussed the sport in the 30+ years I've known you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boxing is an art form but the techniques in Mixed Martial Arts trump it. Don't let the WWE atmosphere fool you... watching two highly skilled competitors compete is engaging... much the same as two highly skilled boxers.

The prestige in boxing is gone. Just too much crap over the years, they need to fix the sport for it to become a darling of the publice again. Nobody cares that Juan Sam Jones from Timbuctoo is the World Small Light Standardized Weight Champion from the World Boxing League Only Three People Know About League (WBLOTPKAL).

Sort all that shit out, put two trained and skilled guys in the ring and have 1 Champion, then maybe interest will rise.

Don't mistake what I am saying as that UFC fighting is better, I like both.

My point is boxing has lost it's place as a top sports draw compared to where it was. It can be saved but the Don Kings of the world need to be eliminated.

Consolidated sports are succesful pro sports. Look at pre-superbowl Football. Or the current bullshit in the american college game... the BCS "Natty" champ is never fully national or fully tested against the right competition to be proclaimed as the champs, but they'll kick your ass in a bar to prove they won the national championship. Boxing is turning into a freakshow, and sadly loosing the art.

I think it's very possible that the popularity of boxing during certain times has gone along with a popular trend towards behaving "within" the rules, and that the current rise of MMA is related to a societal acceptance of a widening playing field in the economic/work sphere... or not. :)

Guest Low Roller
He's a fraud Roller. Did you see the Holyfield fight?

Nah. I'm just hearing about all the hype about his upcoming fight with one of the Klitchkos.

Yes, I did enjoy the fight. I was astonished at how good Sugar looked. I've seen him fight a lot over the years and last night was his best performance. Sugar was a big underdog and he beat Margarito up pretty good. In fact, Shane won on a TKO, something that's never been done to Margarito.

I also saw the MMA heavyweight match last night. Wicked right hand.

LAS VEGAS -- Georges St. Pierre's strategy against B.J. Penn was simple.

"We wanted to discourage him and then drown him in the later rounds," explained trainer Firas Zahabi.

The strategy worked to perfection. St. Pierre took Penn out of his comfort zone and then laid a beating on him, recording a memorable mixed martial arts victory in a marquee champion versus champion matchup Saturday night at UFC 94 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

Referee Herb Dean, on the advice of doctors and with the agreement of the Penn corner, stopped the bout after four rounds. A battered, bloodied Penn headed to hospital while St. Pierre celebrated a second win over the fighter known as The Prodigy.

"Georges St. Pierre completely dominated the fight," UFC president Dana White said.

Neither man lost his title. Because the fight was contested at 170 pounds, Penn retains his lightweight championship at 155 pounds. St. Pierre emerges with his welterweight crown.

But St. Pierre (18-2) gets all the glory, with the kind of dominant performance that sends shudders down other fighters' spines.

MONTREAL SCORES UFC

The UFC has confirmed UFC 97 for April 18 in Montreal, with middleweight champion Anderson Silva taking on Thales Leites and former light-heavyweight title-holder Chuck (The Iceman) Liddell facing off against Mauricio (Shogun) Rua.

I would love to go see a UFC event.

I finally got around to watching UFC 94.

GSP crushed him. BJ was taken down at will, couldn't get into rubber guard, was passed constantly and got fucking pounded. I would have liked to have seen some more of knees from GSP similar to the ones he buried into Matt Serra but wow did he ever beat his ass.

Machida is amazing. Love watching him.

Clay Guida is rapidly becoming one of my least favorite fighters in UFC, really starting to hate on him for some reason (well one of the reasons is I find him boring, that and his hair).

Oh yeah, UFC 97 ticket prices.......

Tickets for UFC 97 will go on sale Saturday, February 14 at noon ET and will be priced at $550, $400, $225, $150, $100 and $50

I imagine the 100's and 50's are complete shit. I was seriously considering going but now I don't think I will.

I'd love to see Anderson Silva.