Jambands.ca

Beatles rooftop concert live stream on Friday

MK

this might be of interest to a few folks on here...

On Friday at noon, London's top Beatles cover band will be recreating the rooftop concert that was to be the Beatles final live performance - 40 years to the minute from the original.

I work at the London Free Press and we plan on streaming the whole thing live online.

Check out www.lfpress.com on Friday at noon - these guys are good!

Not to mention the fact that I've been busting my ass on the logistics of the whole thing...including a conference call that just ended with sunmedia copyright lawyers finally giving me the green light (they decided that it does in fact qualify as a news event.)

I will gratuitously bump this on Friday.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup London Ontario...interestingly the original concert was in London England...so the concert is figuratively "to the minute."

Bouche, as far as a link goes, it will be all over our home page on Friday...www.lfpress.com.

Yuri Pool is the "McCartney" and he has lived all over the world paying tribute to the fab four...lucky for us he is in London now.

If this embed works, here he is joining James Reaney and I in this wasteland of a newsroom previous to his Harrison tribute:

yeah schwa I'm on camera...it's pretty sloppy in that one...Reaney refuses to do more than one take so it's all improv - the lighting sucks ass too, but hey, we're building a TV station from scratch here...you gotta start somewhere.

I don't think letting the cat out of the bag on the rooftop thing taints the authenticity too much...there were insiders that knew it was going to happen, no?

that's noon today on lfpress.com

Downtown London gets back to The Beatles with a history-making noon-hour concert tomorrow.

"This is great. This is the only concert like this happening in the world. That's really exciting," says London musician and Beatles expert Yuri Pool.

Tomorrow, at 12:15 p.m., Pool and friends will re-create the last public appearance by The Beatles 40 years to the day after it happened. For free.

The Beatles, with guest artist Billy Preston, hit the roof of Apple Records in London, England, on Jan. 30, 1969.

The set began with Get Back. So will tomorrow's show, which will closely follow The Beatles' list 40 years ago.

"We will be playing every song in the exact same order as The Beatles did 40 years to the day (later)," Pool says. "We might even get the same grey skies that they had hanging over London in 1969."

The buzz on Facebook and elsewhere has been huge.

The Jan. 30, 1969, concert was historic because it marked The Beatles' first public performance since 1966.

The concert came to be seen as the end of an era. After dominating rock 'n' roll and pop culture during the 1960s, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were about to part ways as the iconic British rock band broke up.

"The rooftop concert was a coming together of minds just like the old days," Pool says of the concert's place in Beatles' history. "The Beatles had fun again."

Helping the feuding superstars make history and find a temporary unity once more was American keyboard player Billy Preston.

Born in the Netherlands, Pool, 32, has been making Beatles music for years.

In Britain, he was part of a major Beatles tribute-styled group, taking the McCartney role.

Tomorrow's lineup is different.

"I've got four young lads willing to jump on the roof in the middle of winter and join this crazy Beatles guy," he says.

Joining Pool for Get Back, Don't Let Me Down and more are Will Armstrong, drum instructor at the Sweet Music Centre; keyboard player Darryl Lahteenmaa and guitarist/vocalist Patrick Hughes of the Lotus Theory; and Chasing Arcadia guitarist/vocalist Darryl McCarty. Bob Hulme is sound technician.

Pool has been checking the weather forecasts. Light flurries are predicted. No problem.

"There's going to be five guys on that roof unless the sky will fall upon us," he says.

IF YOU GO

What: Re-creation by London rock musician Yuri George Jan Pool and friends of The Beatles' final public performance, on the rooftop of Apple Records on Jan. 30, 1969, in London, England.

When: Tomorrow, 12:15 p.m.

Where: Rooftop of Coffee Culture, 260 Dundas St. (west of Wellington)

Details: Free; visit themccartneyyears. net for more information

THE SET LIST

1969 and 2009 set list:

Get Back*

Get Back

Don't Let Me Down

I've Got A Feeling

One After 909

Dig a Pony

I've Got A Feeling

Don't Let Me Down

Get Back

* The Beatles played some songs more than once because they were recording and wanted the best version possible.

Yep, as mentioned on both the site & this one, hence my comment. The link I posted was from clicking a link on THE MAIN PAGE. The streaming link was only posted 21 minutes ago, I guessing since the show starts at noon and probally was in the process of being set up. Although, from your comment its rather unclear you "didn't have time to read", also a reason for my comment. (which bt the way was meant in fun)