Jambands.ca

Who remembers "Shrinky Dinks"?

StoneMtn

We were talking about arts and crafts to do with our daughter, who is just getting right into that age. I mentioned we should get her "Shrinky Dinks".

Then it occurred to me - the last time I saw a Shrinky Dink (I just love the name) I was too small to use the oven to make them myself.

Do they still exist? Did their name change?

I know I'm not the only one here who knows of these, but the last time I saw one was in the 1970s, so I suspect they're no longer on the market. Any idea ???

Yes, I remember those big time. I never had them though, but I remember them from the start of the 80's.

One thing I remember fondly is PRESTO MAGIX! Remember those rub-on transfer things?

(if you have the time....read through the article. funny shit)

Presto Magix: 1, Freehand: 0. Though I do kind of like how Chewbacca's legs came out. Makes me crave a chicken drumstick. I don't eat drumsticks, so that's a pretty powerful example of suggestion. Go Chewy! Also notice that one of Leia's legs is longer than the other. I got distracted after drawing giant tits on her chest.

thor-prestomagix.jpg

Now kids have things like

to create scenes and shit. Boy have toys and pastimes changed.

Presto Magix??? Thor??

This has officially blown me away. Wow. I always used to accidentally rub a piece of the graphic next to the one I was doing on, and have an extra arm or something floating in mid air.

The dukes of hazzard one was my favourite!!!

And I remember Shrinky Dinks as well.... or at least the name.

My daughter has made hundreds of shrinky dink gymnastics pins over the years. She uses permanent (Sharpie) markers and buys the plastic sheets at Michaels craft store. (Tip: buy the bright white plastic sheets, not the other ones.)

Some of her pins look fantastic. She has sold them in the past to raise some funds, and has given away many as gifts.

Peace, Mark