Jambands.ca

dog farts

phishtaper

Thankfully my 23 month old black lab doesn't fart much. He does however burp, (loudly at times) and it can make you move in a second.

I've been successful in reducing the frequency of the burps by changing foods, altering his eating times & amounts. He eats and drinks just way too fast according to the vet, most likely due to being part of an 18 pup litter. Well, it was actually two nine pup litters (same father) born within a half hour of each other and the mothers just shared duties.

Esau: When my lab Arlo was younger I had problems with the gorging food and water aspect of the breed. I started putting tennis balls or rubber toys/kongs in his food dish while he ate his kibble and because he had to eat around them it slowed him down. Maybe see if this helps with yours.

I think that my dog has figured out that burping dogs is really funny to humans. He always seems to perch himself right in front of me before doing so and wags his tail furiously while I laugh and laugh. Smart boy...

ReDD, I was about to make that exact same suggestion.

Esau, another thing that helped our beagle with his excessive gas and the fact he ate too quickly, we raised his bowl off the ground for a little while.

That has worked a little bit for the stinky Boxers too.

Thanks ReDD & Bouche, I've done both those as well already. The vet recommended not putting anything in his bowl though and suggested getting a kidney shaped type bowl. His bowls have been off the floor since he became part of the family, he's got one of those two bowl adjustable stands for his food & water.

I personally think one of the main causes of the gas is him taking in a lot of air - what I mean is, Silas does not go anywhere without something in his mouth, ever. Either his kong, basketball (yep, that's his ball) or 3ft pull rope, it doesn't matter he'll search the house for one of those before even greeting me or anyone who walks through the door. Even just wandering around he'll grab one of those.

ps. ReDD - I swear Silas does the same thing, right in my face. I can't laugh though as I'm usually gagging..lol

I'll be turning mine on at midnightish tonight

"A talking, computerized weighing device that tracks how quickly food is gobbled off the plate could be a solution to childhood obesity, researchers say," BBC News reports. "The Mandometer keeps tabs during meal times and tells the user if they are wolfing down meals too fast - a habit experts have linked to weight gain." In a study with obese children, after 12 months of use the youngsters weighed less and ate smaller portions. The Mandometer, designed by scientists at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, plots a graph showing the rate at which food disappears from the plate, compared with an "ideal" graph programmed in by a food therapist. If the user is eating too quickly, the talking machine will tell them.

I wonder if it is the same for dogs on raw meat (like the humorously named BARF diet) vs. kibble? I find carbovores -- the beer and bagel types -- of humans are pretty darn stinky and gassy too.

The fast eating makes a lot of sense though, too. Swallowing air. Luckily my dog is mostly flatulence free, but she does occasionally have her days. I don't feed her anything special, just 'decent' kibble stuff. But she's pretty tiny so I might just not notice most of the time. I do love that when she farts she scares herself and looks around for the source of that strange noise. She's a dummy. Much hilarity.

If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can get going without pep pills,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains.

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can ignore a friend´s limited education and never correct him,

If you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liqour,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can say honestly that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, relegion or politics,

Then, my friend, you are almost as good as your dog.