Jambands.ca

A message from Conan O'Brien (He's leaving!)

Jaimoe

Yeah sorry I went to be that night just hearing a snippet on the news and not realizing he was on at 11. It sounds like Fox who he'd been negotiating with since the part with NBC didn't offer him 12 because their affiliates like to run 'stripped' reruns of 30 Rock and The Office from 11:30-12:00. They also lowballed him offering 2/3 of his budget or $60 rather than $90 million (affecting his staff of course and his $12M salary). I don't think he retained ownership either in the Fox deal.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Are we even gonna get the new Conan show in Canada? TBS no longer broadcasts up here, leaving us with Peachtree TV, which is owned by TBS.

Due to a Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) rule, cable and satellite companies in Canada are only permitted to carry the over-the-air Atlanta station, and therefore most now carry WPCH ("Peachtree TV") instead of the nationwide TBS channel that American viewers receive.

Peachtree TV has different content than the cable TBS, and if anyone else has noticed, does not even air the George Lopez show. Does this mean no Conan for Canada?

I'd have a hard time believing a Canadian TV company won't pick this program up.

I'd put money on it.

The Toronto Star suggested in yesterday's business section that since the $2 billion purchase by Shaw, CanWest will now have the opportunity to purchase better US and international programs. It seems Conan would be a perfect late night fit.

Hilarious show in Denver tonight. More of an old-fashioned variety show than Late Night/The Tonight Show. He played guitar for a few tunes, had backup singers that never left the stage and was without a desk. It was great to see him operate outside the parameters of network television, and by that I mean he said "fuck" more than once. Two thumbs way up.

any guests?

The opener was comedian/musician Reggie Watts. Then after an intermission "The Legally Prohibited Band" came out, which is the same as Jimmy Vivino and the Max Weinberg Seven (or Jimmy Vivino and the Tonight Show Band, if you will). The band played a couple of tunes and then introduced Conan. Andy was introduced by Conan about halfway through and stayed on for the rest of the show (I was surprised that Andy didn't take the stage before Conan). Guest comedian was Deon Cole, who is one of Conan's writers and did a short set partway through the show. Musical guest was piano/guitar pop duo The Fray, who played a two-song set. As The Fray are from Denver, I'm guessing he's picking up local musical acts along the way, but every other performer is traveling with the show.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
If the show was good I would have said so. Have you caught it yet?

Yes I have caught it. IN 2 words.. It's Conan. I STILL LOVE THE SHOW.

Curious, did you watch the show much before he was on NBC? They certainly took the show up a notch on NBC and especially in the last month but this is the same conan I've always enjoyed.

What is different and very well done is their incredible adoption of social networking and breaking down the 4th wall. They're posting behind the scenes stuff as it happens, twittering little trivia bits about the show and creating pretty damn funny content for the internets.

What guests wouldn't have been weak? I thought he has had some fine guests.

My buddy Paul and I saw 2 Late Night with Conan shows in NYC while we were there in 94.... One of the guests was the guy who played Butch on the Little Rascals, the other was Jackie Mason. now THOSE were some weak guests.

It's pretty impressive to see what he's done. Pulled nearly his entire staff with him to another network to build another show and audience from the ground up. Lotsa balls on that lanky irish freak.