Jambands.ca

Burlington, VT recommendations?

TheGoodRev

Skancs, some of you know that lately I've been lucky enough to be playing pedal steel with Cowboy Junkies. I'm down in the US on my third leg with them. Not really a permanent position, more of a when-our-schedules-allow type of arrangement. Fun times.

Anyhow we're at Higher Ground in Burlington VT tomorrow night and today I find myself on a day off in Burlington. This is a town and venue that I only really know about through reading about them on this board. Anybody been here? What's cool in town? Any cool guitar or record stores to check out? Bars? Restaurants? Suggestions appreciated.

the two best record stores in my opinion would have to be

Pure Pop Records - www.purepoponline.com

115 South Winooski Avenue, Burlington - (802) 658-2652

Pure pop is mostly new vinyl, with a bit of used stuff

Burlington Records - www.burlingtonrecords.com

170 Bank Street, Burlington - (802) 881-0303

this is a fairly new shop. about a year old. But he's got alot of good stuff. i found some phish records their . He has a vintage tshirt section too

this thread from phish message boards. Some useful stuff and some garbage

http://www.phantasytour.com/phish/boards_thread.cgi?threadID=2051643

American Flatbread is ok pizza, Great idea, and the atmosphere in their was great. But the best pizza in burlington is Leonardo's which is right next to the higher ground. Sick stuff. For a fancier meal. a Single pebble is the shit. You have to reserve in advance. So call now if oyu want to go. But amazing food.

Didn't you just learn pedal steel like last year? Yeesh! Do they know? ;)

I've never had a bad meal in burlington. There's an excellent (I mean EXCELLENT) indian place somewhere there, but I have no idea how we got there.

On church street I had one of the most inspiring and delicious pizzas I've ever had at 3 tomatoes trattoria. It was just a rustic tomato, basil with the best fresh mozzarella I had ever had. I think it was the first time I had such good mozzarella. I had been searching fro the same experience since and have learned where to buy fresh mozzarella in ottawa for pizzas.

also, there's a thai place where SMMD and Barr Bros play.

http://www.parimathai.com/

if you can get in touch with dave ables, he's a great guy to hang out with. he used to be on here as vermontdave.

Didn't you just learn pedal steel like last year?

Shhh...don't tell anybody.

In all seriousness though, upon reflection it has been four years since I started on pedal steel. Time has flown! The gig is unbelievable. Great people, cool shows, legendary band. Saturday was my birthday, and the show that night was in Bethel, NY, at this location:

Dammit, having trouble embedding the pic. Here's the link: http://twitpic.com/1m6113

That thai place is right around the corner from my hotel, I'm going there now bouche! Thanks! Also spotted Burlington Records earlier, gonna go pop in now. Magic Hat is apparently in the cards for tomorrow. Looks like there's some livetronica thing at Nectar's tonight which doesn't really interest me; if anybody knows of anywhere else I might catch a cool band I'm all ears.

I'm currently listening to "The Loft" on XMRadio and they have a Live@Sirius segment with the Cowboy Junkies right now and I can surely hear me some pedal steel in the background.

Is this recent? Live right now? (2:30 Wednesday afternoon)

Edited by Guest

Yeah that's me on that Loft session...we did it during the last leg, in April, at the old XM headquarters in DC, the morning before a gig in Falls Church, VA. I also did a Loft session with Tom Wilson (Lee Harvey Osmond) last fall. The XM headquarters is unbelievable.

Sorry to keep you hanging on the restaurant review, bouche! I went walking and knew I was looking for a Thai place on Pearl Street...but I don't know if I missed it or it closed up cause I didn't get there. Found a great Indian joint though, which may or may not have been your EXCELLENT place. It was quite good though. Right in that neighbourhood too, next to a fair-trade coffee type place.

Greetings from Great Barrington, Mass., where I'll play my last Junkies show for a while tonight. Then it's back home and back on the Huron bandwagon.