Jambands.ca

Prince says "The Internet is Over"

bouche

This is the kind of promotion you don't want. It's the kind that killed Jessica Simpson's singing career and Lindsay Lohan's acting career. Suddenly, you're a laughingstock

this putz is comparing Prince to jessica simpson and Lindsay Lohan? Please...find a better way to make your point.

Part of Prince's bitterness with Internet is that last year he launched his official website and it cost $77 to join (yes' date=' that's SEVENTY SEVEN DOLLARS). Needless to say, very few people signed up, and Prince now has no 'official' web presence. [/quote']

Funny thing is he launched that site the same year he had went on an internet wide hunt demanding all fan-websites remove not only all photographs of him but also any & all photos of fan artwork that bore his likeness: pics of drawings, pics of tattoos, pics of custom painted guitars and even pics of t-shirts.

No surprise his $77 to join fan-site didn't take off.

Sounds like it's not so much that the internet is dead as that Prince is trying to kill it. Die, internet, die!

You might want to look up the reasons behind that.

The first step I have taken towards the ultimate goal of emancipation from the chains that bind me to Warner Bros. was to change my name from Prince to the Love Symbol. Prince is the name that my mother gave me at birth. Warner Bros. took the name, trademarked it, and used it as the main marketing tool to promote all of the music that I wrote. The company owns the name Prince and all related music marketed under Prince. I became merely a pawn used to produce more money for Warner Bros... I was born Prince and did not want to adopt another conventional name. The only acceptable replacement for my name, and my identity, was the Love Symbol, a symbol with no pronunciation, that is a representation of me and what my music is about. This symbol is present in my work over the years; it is a concept that has evolved from my frustration; it is who I am. It is my name

He signed a deal with warner in 1977 for 3 albums, all of which he was given 100% creative control over and ownership of the publishing rights. He stayed with warner until 1999 - it seems the real issue was his decision making (or lack thereof) when it came to resigning those contracts! loljb.gif

I smell a red herring.

Seems to me, and I am just going by this thread of course, the only thing one gets out of purchasing the 77 dollar membership is a strong desire to defend Prince at all costs.

We've got a winner! Imagine if Prince was IN the Star Wars movies.

Isn't this more like saying "gold chains and Kangols are over" than saying the internet doesn't work? I think his point is that you can be cool and not giveafuck what some dickhead beating off in front of his screen thinks of your marketing decisions. m2c

• 4 years later...