Jambands.ca

Fuckoffy the Dog?

Velvet

The City of Ottawa's bylaw department is trotting out a new mascot and offering children a chance to give it a name.

Bylaw Services issues parking tickets and shuts down noisy parties, making it unpopular among some residents. It hopes the new mascot, a soft and fuzzy hound dog, will help change that.

The head of Bylaw Services, Susan Jones, says the idea is a new twist on an old dog, Municipal Max, and is meant to promote responsible pet ownership.

However, the new pooch is nameless so far. The city is sponsoring a mascot-naming contest that is open to children only. Details of the contest, which ends in the fall, can be found at the city's website (see link at top right).

People on Elgin Street weren't shy about offering a CBC reporter suggestions for a name, including Bylaw Badass, Growly and Detective Poop 'n' Scoop.

When asked whether the mascot would make the bylaw department more lovable, one person said "anything to improve their public image, I guess, is a step in the right direction. I'm not quite sure how a dog mascot is going to cut it, but McGriff the Dog took a bite outta crime, so maybe we could take a bite outta bylaws."

City council's resident ham, Rick Chiarelli, had several suggestions, including his favourite, Scooby Don't.

Other city councillors, including Maria McRae, were taken aback when told of the mascot.

"Shocked that we're doing it," she said. "I had no idea. Very ironic that we actually have a hound dog going out to go after residents. I guess the idea is that we hound residents for money, and dog them if they don't pay."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2010/07/14/ott-bylaw-mascot-naming-contest.html