Jambands.ca

Any CFL fans?

DevO

Every year, I tell myself I am going to give the CFL another chance, but I can't seem to get past the whole 3 down thing. Plus the way that the NFL schedule works, I am able to condense all my passion into one wife-accepted wife-tolerated day. I wish the CFL all the best though!

Very nice diplomacy, Punk! ;) Well within the next 5 years or so, you could be seeing a team in Moncton. The game that they had there this year was a big success.

I am heading out to Edmonton for Grey Cup this year and wanted to see if anyone else on here would share or comprehend my excitement. And the icing on the cake is that Helix are playing in town on the night of my arrival!

A Moncton team would help my interest for sure!

I am heading out to Edmonton for Grey Cup this year and wanted to see if anyone else on here would share or comprehend my excitement. And the icing on the cake is that Helix are playing in town on the night of my arrival!

Fantastic KevO, that is some hardcore Canadiana that almost brings a tear to my eye!

I'm a fan. I used to cheer for the Rough Riders during the J.C. Watts's pre-Republican years and I liked Tony Gabriel right up until he retired. I've been an Argos fan for 20 years, but I'm no diehard. The CFL is culturally important and when I travelled to Quebec and the Maritimes a few years ago, I was dumbfounded how big it is outside of Toronto (but the Argos do have a good TV audience). I follow the CIS too. Go Gaels (although they suck this year).

Big CFL fan. It's in my blood, with my grandfather having been a CFL referee many moons ago and the league's first director of officiating. He's in the league hall of fame, and my Dad operated the scoreboard for the Riders for years and years. I worked in the press box for the Riders for the last couple of years of their existence (when they were still the Riders).

I actually prefer the Canadian game to the NFL. I like the shorter play clock and bigger field, and the one less down tends to make for more explosive offenses.

Don't follow it as much as I used to, as I've been moving around a ton in the past few years and haven't lived anywhere that's had a team in a while. Still get pumped when I find a game on, though, and have toyed with the idea of heading to Edmonton from Yellowknife for the Grey Cup this year.

This will be my first Cup outside of Toronto - having gone to the one in Hamilton (1998?) and in Toronto about 3 years ago. From what I gather, Saskatchewan, Edmonton or Winnipeg are the finest hosts of Grey Cups so I am very pumped for this. It doesn't hurt that the Cats are currently on fire and could actually make it. Come on down Harto! I'll be meeting up with my brother and his gang (who run this site), it will be their 19th Cup in a row.

B&T of BTO are playing the half time show. :doh:

I'm a bit out of the loop but how far is Ottawa towards getting a team back? Isn't that a big part of the restructuring at Lansdowne Park?

Edited by Guest

Not a fan anymore. I don't even know where to begin but the whole NFL on Sunday/my girlfriend tolerates a day of it thing is pretty major and the most civil thing I could say. But hey, I work for the province of Saskatchewan and back there they eat it up...then again they don't have a ton of options.

Last time I was at a game Dexter Manley (ex-Redskin legend) committed an outrageous personal foul where he grabbed the opposing by his helmet/head and swing him around, airplane-esque, until the guy popped out of his helmet and flew a few yards, then Dexter threw his helmet at him. Pretty glorious, probably my last great memory of the Riders.

I'd probably go to a couple games if we got a franchise but I'd just be getting super drunk. Back in the day we used to smoke bottle tokes in the upper reaches of the empty North side...guess that's another great Rider memory.

I've been a Cats fan for a long time but hadn't had seasons tickets for over 10 years - until this year, I won a pair at a stag! That and living within an hour of Hamilton for the first time in a number of years has brought me back onboard. It will be a sad day when Ivor Wynne Stadium shuts its doors in a few years!

Sounds like some good memories Sloth. I never saw a game at Lansdowne but have always wondered why Row 1 (on the South side I think?) starts about about 30 feet above the ground. Did they have temporary fold-out seats for game day?

Edited by Guest

Nope, straight drop. I believe, I can't remember exactly because I was young, could have been north side, there was a huge accident at the Panda Game (Carleton vs UofO football) where a bunch of students went over the edge after a rail broke.

The old endzone seats used to be amazing, rickety as hell, terrifying (1 part the rowdy patrons 1 part the structure), they always felt like they were about to come down and we always got free tickets as kids because we delivered the Citizen. Goods times.

OSKEEEEEEE WEE-WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

man, i miss the end zone seats at Ivor Wynne, it would just get fucking ridiculous! used to see a lot of games growing up in the Hammer and have a lot of good memories... was at Earl Winfield's TD Trio game (punt return, kick return, reception), i remember an insanely long "wave" that got up into the 40+ rounds - at one point bob bratina started calling them out ("35.... 36... 37... ") as they went around, and i think that, more than the game, is what kept it going - i dont even remember anything about the actual game, hahah. i was also there the last time hamilton hosted the grey cup, i got to play on the field in my youth, and saw Angelo Mosca make a pansy-assed under hand ceremonial first pitch at the canadian little league championships this year.

i love the Ticats. i hope they can make it to Edmonton for ya, Kev - that'd be pretty nuts.

Guigs I think I was there for every one of the things you mentioned except for the Little League Championships. I played there once too! (High school flag football).

Too bad the Cats lost on Friday. No bad consequences really, but we were on a roll.

This weekend I came home to my parents' house to find a giant 3.5' x 4' flashing blue neon light ARGOS SUCK sign, I shit you not! Apparently my brother bought it on eBay from a closed down Tailgate Charlies restaurant.

Oh and THE CATCH will never be forgotten. :)

Edited by Guest