Jambands.ca

Martin Picard (Wild Chef)

rubberdinghy

I'm not saying people can't protest. Just saying that Picard should have ignored them. So yeah, this event is ruined by a combination of both the protesters complaining in the first place and then Picard being too proud to still show up.

dammit woman! just agree with me ;)

and i vote yes to heckling michael smith. i really like him and his kindergarten-teacher-esque ways, but i would kind of love to see him lose it.

The Winterlude organizers told him he would not be allowed to serve foie..

Picard didn't cancel because of the protesters, he cancelled because he was told he couldn't do what he wanted to do, and has made his living doing.

I'm sure Winterlude felt the pressures to edit his show.

More goddam censorship. ;)

And I hate Flay too. I still have yet to see that ep, but I heard it was an epic fail.

Edited by Guest

I don't understand why this woman says that she's surprised about Picard withdrawing. Duh...what did she expect? Weird quote...what does she have to think about?

From the Montreal Gazette:

Monday's announcement came as a complete surprise to animal-rights activists, who protested against foie gras on Dec. 14 outside a downtown hotel where the NCC was holding a news conference about planned Winterlude events.

"This is the first I've heard of it," said Sue Lawrence, spokeswoman for the Ottawa Animal Defence League. "I don't really know this other chef. I feel kind of neutral about it. I'd like to have time to think about it."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Montreal+chef+Martin+Picard+withdraws+from+Ottawa+fest/4093490/story.html#ixzz1AyFygTBP

Picard didn't cancel because of the protesters, he cancelled because he was told he couldn't do what he wanted to do, and has made his living doing.

Picard didn't cancel right away though. He initially agreed to alter his menu. Then he had a change of heart.

Personally I would have liked Picard to show up with his foie gras and serve it anyway.

Picard didn't cancel because of the protesters' date=' he cancelled because he was told he couldn't do what he wanted to do, and has made his living doing.[/quote']

Picard didn't cancel right away though. He initially agreed to alter his menu. Then he had a change of heart.

Personally I would have liked Picard to show up with his foie gras and serve it anyway.

Apparently he didn't realize right away because they would only talk to him in English. He is very very French.

;)

Love it!

Picard didn't cancel because of the protesters' date=' he cancelled because he was told he couldn't do what he wanted to do, and has made his living doing.[/quote']

YES. YES. YES!!!

maybe they'd shove a feeding tube down his gullet and stuff him full of food. sweet.

I stole this quotation from OttawaFoodies.com. It suggests that the optics of gavage are much worse than the reality of what's going on.

Much of the outrage being stirred up over foie gras production centers around the practice of gavage, the use of a funnel inserted into the duck’s esophagus to force-feed grain to the duck over the final 15-21 days of its life. Those who oppose gavage assert that the ducks choke, vomit, and suffer greatly because of this process. This sounds reasonable. After all, how would you like to have a tube stuffed down your throat three times a day?

However, this approach is the crux of the problem with an argument meant to play upon human empathy: it anthropomorphizes an animal whose physiology is fundamentally different than ours. Ducks and geese are waterfowl. Their digestive tracts evolved to accommodate swallowing of whole fish, the occasional amphibian, and rocks for the gizzard to assist in digestion. They lack a gag reflex and their esophagus is lined not with the delicate mucus membrane found in humans, but a thick cuticle. Their windpipe opens in the middle of their tongue and they do not breathe using an abdominal diaphragm as humans do. Air passes through air sacs located in the upper torso, prior to entering the lungs. Ducks are able to breathe, even during the brief 10-15-second process of gavage.

Dr. Jeanne Smith, an avian veterinarian who investigated Incanto’s foie gras supplier, Sonoma Foie Gras, in 2004 testified before the California legislature that tube feeding is the medically accepted way of feeding ill or injured ducks and geese, a practice she regularly teaches her clients to perform for home care of their birds. The principal difference between the feeding she saw at Sonoma Foie Gras – compared to her clients’ injured tube-fed birds – was that the foie gras ducks were unstressed by the process. This is inconsistent with the picture of tortured, abused birds enduring an inhumane feeding procedure. Similarly, a delegate from the American Veterinary Association who visited Hudson Valley Foie Gras in 2005 announced that his personal position on the foie gras issue changed to the positive as a result of his visit, indicating that “tube feeding is less distressing than taking the rectal temperature of a cat.†As recently as last month, a journalist from the Village Voice ran a lengthy expose on American foie gras and concluded there is little evidence to support the argument of cruelty and suffering among the ducks.

Shock & Foie

I don't understand why this woman says that she's surprised about Picard withdrawing. Duh...what did she expect? Weird quote...what does she have to think about?

The reporter asked what the person thought about Michael Smith. The person didn't know anything about Michael Smith so reserved comment. Pretty standard.