Jambands.ca

New Ron Sexsmith- Long Player Late Bloomer

jaybone

Has anyone heard this album yet?

I have heard a couple tunes on CBC and dig it so far. I am looking forward to hearing the whole thing and hopefully catching a show some time.

The song Eye Candy has been stuck in my head for a couple days now.

April 21st at Lee's Palace too.

Nevermind. That must be the gig I'm thinking of. Not sure how I decided that it was this week.

Sexsmith is one of those artists who I can't seem to leave alone. Rarely does a fortnight pass without listening to at least one of his albums. I've seen him live a handful of times, too; always a good show.

April 21st at Lee's Palace too.

Nevermind. That must be the gig I'm thinking of. Not sure how I decided that it was this week.

Sexsmith is one of those artists who I can't seem to leave alone. Rarely does a fortnight pass without listening to at least one of his albums. I've seen him live a handful of times' date=' too; always a good show.[/quote']

He might be around for CMW or the Junos or one of those big events happening month in the big smoke though.

I have never had an album! But have seen his show and seen him sit in with others and have always been blown away. I need to spend some more QT with his music. What album would you suggest?

Definitely start with Retriever or Cobblestone Runway (some copies of CR also come with a bonus disc of his debut Grand Opera Lane). Blue Boy was produced by Steve Earle and though VERY down tempo is quite good. Time Being started strong but it hasn't held up over time, I find it too Adult Contemporary after a couple of years of listening. Destination Unknown is a great pairing with Don Kerr (former Rheostatics etc. drummer).

If you are ever perusing used cd bins- I've found Ron's cds in the strangest places for $2 or $3.

Fack I just realized I missed his show last night in Kingston.

I think Blue Boy is a great album. I'm quite partial to his first two albums as well; he sounds rather tentative and almost unsure of himself, but that is part of the allure, I guess. Or maybe just because those are the albums that I first knew him through.

There's no real wrong place to start. If you like singer-writers who have good melodic sense, you really can't go wrong with any of his albums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
My buddy just grabbed tix for his show in Hamilton at the Studio Space.

Lee's Palace show in Toronto ... and a "Canadian Songwriters" headlining show this summer at Massey Hall (scored him front row for that one ).

http://www.masseyhall.com/eventdetail?eventId=792

So is that artists covering Ron Sexsmith songs? Or Ron playing the headlining slot on a mixed bill, or both?

I am hoping to go to the Lee's show.. Kinda broke though. I am entered in two different contests to win tickets so fingers crossed.

Sounds like Ron sings along with lots of guests sharing the stage:

NEWS

Luminato Ticket Pre-sale Opportunity!

Before the April 16 public sale date for tickets to Luminato's Canadian Songbook, the all-star event honoring Ron on June 15 at Massey Hall in Toronto, fans will have a chance to get the some of the best seats in the house through a special pre-sale. Starting at 12 Noon EDT on Monday, April 11 and running through 11:59 PM EDT on Friday, April 15, tickets will be available at several price levels: $91.50 (guaranteed to be in in the first three rows for the first 50 tickets sold), $76.50, $61.50 and $26.50 (these are likely to have obstructed views).

If you are signed up to Ron's mailing list you will be sent the password and the link for the pre-sale ticketing site on Monday morning. If you haven't yet signed up for the mailing list, do so now!

http://www.ronsexsmith.com/news/default.aspx#521077eb-0c82-44e1-a6fe-8989f8433bb7:10322

Luminato Salutes, Sexsmith Sings

Ron will be the subject of Luminato's Canadian Songbook show on June 15 at Toronto's Massey Hall. Ron will share the stage with a full lineup of guest artists, to be announced soon. Tickets go on sale April 16 but Ron's fans will have a chance to get tickets first in a special pre-sale. We'll have more details on the pre-sale soon, so be sure to sign up to the Mailing List now to make sure you don't miss anything.

Now in it's fifth year, Luminato is one of the top arts festivals in Toronto.