Jambands.ca

Daniel Lanois to play Christie Lake concert *update*4/28

Esau.

I have family that works at Christie's, I'll be there.

The Hamilton Conservation Authority is partnering with a local concert promoter to present a daylong music festival Aug. 27 featuring “Daniel Lanois and Friends†at the Christie Lake Conservation Area in Flamborough.

Promoter Jean Paul Gauthier said Tuesday he is negotiating with several acts to perform in what he hopes to become an annual event called the Harvest Picnic.

Gauthier, who is also founder of the Hamilton Music Awards, hopes to announce more concert details and ticket information in the next few weeks.

He did confirm, however, that Lanois — an internationally known record producer, singer, guitarist and songwriter — would perform with some unspecified “friends.â€

Lanois, who was raised in Ancaster, has won multiple Grammys and Junos, producing such artists as U2, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Peter Gabriel and Neil Young.

“Daniel (Lanois) has toured the site and is extremely excited about it,†said Gauthier. “We were there last week.â€

Christie Lake offers swimming, fishing and picnic areas. Gauthier says the Aug. 27 event will also feature local artisans and food.

Garnet Cowsill, HCA marketing and sales manager, says the event represents the first time the authority has partnered in promoting a music festival at Christie Lake.

“We’re trying to put something together here that will be sustainable through the years,†Cowsill said. “We want to make it a family event.â€

Cowsill added HCA also hopes to profit from the event, as well as raise the profile of its parklands.

“Yes, we’re trying to create revenue for the Christie Conservation Area itself,†he said. “I’m really pleased that our (HCA) board is fully supporting it.â€

The conservation authority has been looking for ways to boost revenues, HCA board member Jim Howlett said, so the concert proposal makes sense.

“We’ve lost some major ticket items in the past few years,†Howlett said. “We don’t have the Dofasco picnic in July at Confederation Park anymore and that was something that brought in revenue for us.â€

Brian McHattie, one of four councillors who sit on the conservation authority’s board, said that it is a bit of a departure from what the HCA has done in the past, “and for that reason we are going to need to monitor it very carefully to see how it goes and if we want to continue using Christie conservation area for others.â€

http://www.thespec.com/arts/-daniel-lanois-to-play-christie-lake-concert

Edited by Guest

Nice to see there is some teeth to this rumour. Was talking with a friend that had heard about some other "big" acts, of which Lanois was one. We'll see how it pans out. I know its kind of uncool to say anything without being more specific but I just don't know how credible the info I got was. Hopefully so...This could only be the beginning of great news to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo-hoo sweet Emmylou!

Tickets on sale saturday morning.

Emmylou, Lamontagne and Gord Downie, too

Ray Lamontagne coming to...

Alt-country queen Emmylou Harris, Grammy-winning roots rocker Ray Lamontagne and Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip are among the acts being assembled by superstar producer Daniel Lanois for a music festival Saturday, Aug. 27 at Christie Lake Conservation Area.

Billed as the Harvest Picnic, the daylong festival will also feature performances by critically acclaimed American alt-rocker Rocco DeLuca, Canadian singer-songwriter Serena Pryne and Lanois himself.

Jean Paul Gauthier, whose September Seventh Entertainment Ltd. is co-promoting the Harvest Picnic with the Hamilton Conservation Authority, said Wednesday he was still signing more acts for the show and would make further announcements closer to the event.

Tickets are $59.50 (plus applicable service fees) and go on sale Saturday at 11 a.m. through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.ca or 1-855-872-5000) or at Picks and Sticks Music (140 Locke St. S.)

As well as music, the Harvest Picnic will feature a farmers’ market, horticultural workshops, art vendors, fishing, swimming and food and beverage areas. Gauthier said the fishing area would be specially stocked with trout for the event.

Lanois, who was raised in Ancaster before founding Hamilton’s Grant Avenue recording studio, said that he hopes the Harvest Picnic will become an annual event.

“I am pleased to announce that my longtime friend Gord Downie will be performing,†said Lanois, who played a key role in programming the event with Gauthier. “Ray Lamontagne and Emmylou Harris have also kindly agreed to travel north of the border to participate in our celebration of quality Canadian fine foods.

“This is our first year with this celebration. Let’s make it a success and an event that we should definitely revisit annually.â€

Lanois, who has worked with international stars such as U2, Bob Dylan and Peter Gabriel, produced Emmylou Harris’s 1995 Grammy-winning album Wrecking Ball.

Harris, one of the most respected singers in country music over the last 40 years, released her latest album Tuesday to rave reviews. Although the 64-year-old singer was born in Alabama, she has developed considerable musical ties to this area.

Her new CD, Hard Bargain, is named after a song by Ron Sexsmith, a St. Catharines native. Harris is also one of several guest singers on Blackie and the Rodeo Kings’ upcoming CD, Kings and Queens. Colin Linden, a member of Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, is Harris’s guitarist and band leader.

Lamontagne, a 37-year-old New Hampshire native, has become a star in the American roots movement in recent years. His latest CD, God Willin’ and the Creek Don’t Rise, won a Grammy for best contemporary folk album. The track Beg Steal or Borrow was also nominated in the prestigious song of the year category.

Gauthier said the conservation area could comfortably hold some 12,000 for the concert.

“We want people to have enough room for a blanket, cooler and their lawn chairs,†said Gauthier, who grew up fishing at Christie Lake, “as well as to be able to find some quiet space if they’d like to chill out. I want this to be a good, old-fashioned picnic.â€

The 830-acre (336-hectare) Christie Lake conservation area, located on Highway 5 just west of the Flamboro Downs racetrack, contains 10 kilometres of trails, a wildlife management area, a 360-metre sandy beach and picnic areas.

http://www.thespec.com/music/emmylou-lamontagne-and-gord-downie-too

Yup amazing. Emmylou is a very pleasant surprise addition. Gord was one of the other rumoured acts I had heard about. What the hell, I'll leak the other given that it seems unlikely at this point, and we have another thread on this board already that was entirely rumour based. The other I heard as being a 'likely participant' was Robert Plant!!!!! Actually it was presented as being an almost sure thing. But I'm skeptical. Regardless this sounds too good to miss given its almost in my backyard. It will require re-arranging some family plans. Hopefully they all will agree that this is a great alternative plan.

Here's a copy and paste from Ticketmaster. Read the bottom for the cost of kid's admission.

Tickets, purchased in advance through Ticketmaster, cannot be picked up at the venue. It is strongly recommended that tickets be picked up at least one day in advance of the show at your local TICKETMASTER RETAIL LOCATION

Hamilton Conservation Authority presents Daniel Lanois and Friends at the inaugural Harvest Festival, a day-long celebration of everything local - music, food, farmers market and art! Load up your picnic basket, blanket, beach towel and fishing rod and explore Hamilton's best kept natural secrets - Christie Lake Conservation Area.

Children aged 0 years to 9 years are allowed to enter the event free of charge and do not require a ticket.

Wow. This is looking gooood. I wonder if there will be overnight camping on-site. If not I guess there is some other spots near by.

dude.... you live like a fifteen minute drive away. I am sure us West-end crew can make some arrangements.

This one is a bit of a no brainer for me, having grown up in Dundas I've spent many happy days and hazy days at beautiful Christie Lake. And if the HCA gets a cut of profits, it's like an investment. Let's just hope the weather holds up!

HCA will definitely be getting a cut from what I understand, so investment indeed. Camp-out in our backyard folks? Can almost roll home from there to our place.

And I can't believe in my haste the other day that I forgot to comment on my happiness of seeing Lamongtagne as part of this bill. Every time he comes around there has been a conflict for me, so I am long overdue to absorb one of his shows. Seeing him at this venue is icing on the cake.

Wow. This is looking gooood. I wonder if there will be overnight camping on-site. If not I guess there is some other spots near by.

dude.... you live like a fifteen minute drive away. I am sure us West-end crew can make some arrangements.

I would much rather camp for this and look what happened ;)

Camp-out in our backyard folks? Can almost roll home from there to our place.

awesomeness.