Jambands.ca

Random acts of music!!

Esau

My cat just stepped on my remote to my disc player and look what came on!! Gotta love it when that happens.

The first thing I remember, I was lying in my bed

I couldn't've been no more than one or two

And I remember there's a radio, coming from the room next door

My mother laughed the way some ladies' do

Well it's late in the evening, and the music's seeping through

The next thing I remember, I am walking down a street

I'm feeling alright I'm with my boys and with my troops, yeah

Down along the avenue some guys are shootin' pool

And I heard the sound of acapella groups, yeah

Singin' late in the evening, and all the girls out on the stoops, yeah

Then I learned to play some lead guitar, I was underage in this funky bar

And I stepped outside to smoke myself a J

When I come back to the room, everybody just seemed to move

And I turned my amp up loud and I began to play

It was late in the evening, and I blew that room away

First thing I remember when you came into my life

I said I wanna get that girl, no matter what I do

Well I guess I've been in love before and once or twice have been on the floor

But I've never loved no-one the way that I love you

And it was late in the evening, and all the music's seeping through

[big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

That's weird Esau - I think I was boogieing down and listening to that song at pretty much the exact same time last night. I was loving it! ...hadn't heard it in a while.

I was listening to it with my friend Scotty who used to play trumpet in Burt Neilson and he was talking about how they used to play that song...

BNB need to pull that song out again!

'ersh - if you read this - when was the last time you played it?

..the burt neilson guitar dude (jeff?) excuse my ignorance, played solo/acoustic late in the evening at the circus room, kitchener, about a year ago... he had trouble remembering the words.

i listened to this song this morning...

Ten years ago on a cold dark night

There was someone killed 'neath the town hall light

There were few at the scene and they all did agree

That the man who ran looked a lot like me.

The judge said, "Son, what is your alibi?

If you were somewhere else then you won't have to die."

I said not a word though it meant my life,

I had been in the arms of my best friend's wife.

She walks these hills in a long black veil.

She visits my grave when the night winds wail.

Nobody knows, no, and nobody sees; nobody knows but me.

The scaffold was high and eternity near

She stood in the crowd and shed not a tear

But sometimes at night when the cold wind moans

In a long black veil she cries over my bones.

She walks these hills in a long black veil

She visits my grave where the night winds wail.

Nobody knows, no, and nobody sees; nobody knows but me.

Qu'est-ce que c'est?,

quote:

Ten years ago on a cold dark night

There was someone killed 'neath the town hall light

There were few at the scene and they all did agree

That the man who ran looked a lot like me.

Correction : Long black Veil was not written by Johnny Cash, It was written by Nashville songwriters Danny Dill (composer of The Streets of Laredo) and Marijohn Wilkin (the writer of Jimmy Dean’s two hits, the JFK-mythologising P.T. Boat 109 and Big Bad John) in March 1959.Cash has covered it along with Dylan,The Band,Cheiftians,Stones and countless others.

I thought this was common knowledge [Confused]

No expectations was indeed written by Jagger/Richards.

[big Grin]

Beat me to it Esau. I have to say that perhaps the finest musical moment of my life was seeing The Band play that in the Poconos at the Gathering On The Mountain in like '95 or '96 (Zero, Richie Havens... also on the bill). I had seen the band 4 or 5 times and although they varied stuff a bit they played a fairly standard set. So when Rick dropped the bass and picked up the acoustic guitar, stepped to the front of the stage and started the Long Black Veil, I just lost it- bawling tears. Still stands out as perhaps the finest musical moment I've ever experienced. Also they encored that show with the standard but brilliant Genetic Method> Chest Fever then came out for another encore which was Chuck Jackson's I Don't Wanna Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes - just like they do on the double disc from the Academy of Music shows ('71).

Beat me to it Esau. I have to say that perhaps the finest musical moment of my life was seeing The Band play that in the Poconos at the Gathering On The Mountain in like '95 or '96 (Zero, Richie Havens... also on the bill). I had seen the band 4 or 5 times and although they varied stuff a bit they played a fairly standard set. So when Rick dropped the bass and picked up the acoustic guitar, stepped to the front of the stage and started the Long Black Veil, I just lost it- bawling tears. Still stands out as perhaps the finest musical moment I've ever experienced. Also they encored that show with the standard but brilliant Genetic Method> Chest Fever then came out for another encore which was Chuck Jackson's I Don't Wanna Hang Up My Rock and Roll Shoes - just like they do on the double disc from the Academy of Music shows ('71).

I stand corrected.

I remembered Doug saying he picked Long Black Veil up from Johnny but probably started talking to someone by the time he brought up who actually wrote it.

oh well, might as well start drinkin [smile]

quote:

Just the men.

Women would be Jagger-Fräuleins

lol

you're funny this week Esau

Tungsten.... it is indeed Mr. Scott Farmer. He's back from out west and is actually living right near me (Bloor and Christie area) with Lowell Binstock (old BNB drummer).

Scotty is the newest member of Mike, Jer and Lowell's project Spincycle. He's sitting in on trumpet but mainly keys... they've also added a female vocalist and pedal steel guitarist to round out the line-up. They're playing this Saturday at Clinton's... opening for Hiway Freeker... should be an awesome show.

I'll tell him you say hi!

Originally posted by paisley:

I remembered Doug saying he picked Long Black Veil up from Johnny but probably started talking to someone by the time he brought up who actually wrote it.

Sure. Because when Doug talks for three hours in between songs, it's easy to stop paying attention to what he's saying. [Roll Eyes]

Archived