Jambands.ca

Help!!- computer issue

Groove Fetish

So someone called me this morning and told me their servers were getting a id from my computer that it had a virus and had been hacked. they asked to em to grant access to my computer so I stupidly did and now they are saying they need me to pay them $100 to clean up my copmputer. I shut my computer downa dn restarted and they don't have access anymore but the icons on teh desktop are all gone??? so what do I do to resore my icons? and is this a scam? how to I tell if my computer has been hacked?

Well, you certainly did act imprudently giving strangers access to your machine - but we all make mistakes, and particularly when you are on the spot and put into a panic, it is easy to make bad decisions.

First off, do not have further engagement with these people. It does sound like a scam, however, on the other side of it your machine may well in fact be compromised and it is possible that it is being used for DDoS attacks or other nefarious things.

Get Malware Bytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free) and run that on your machine.

Then run http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Then grab something like the free version of AVG

The unfortunate truth, though, is that once a system has been compromised, you can never be fully sure of its status again without doing a full and clean re-install. That's to say - the best thing to do is to back up your data (documents, music, etc..) and re-install Windows (I'm assuming you are on Windows) from the discs that should have been provided to you with your purchase. And then run *all* of the security updates.

:bonghit: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

• 2 weeks later...

looks like you aren't alone, goove fetish ...

CRTC fines India telemarketers, puts foreign operators ‘on notice’

Telemarketers from India who called Canadians and offered them virus protection for their computers have been fined by the country’s telecommunications regulator as part of an international effort to put an end to a scam that has seen many people hand over control of their computers.

Pecon Software Ltd. and Avaneesh Software were fined a combined $507,000 by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. They weren’t fined for tricking Canadians into giving them access to their hard drives or selling unnecessary software, but for calling people whose names were on the National Do Not Call List.

“The caller would typically warn consumers that their home computer was infected with a virus and encouraged them to purchase online technical support or anti-virus software,†the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission stated. “In certain cases, the callers would request remote access to the computer.â€

The CRTC’s notice said “foreign-based telemarketers have been put on notice†and said the regulator worked with both the U.S. Federal Trade Commission and the Australian Communications and Media Authority to target the companies.

The FTC went further than the CRTC, saying the companies (and several others) “con consumers into believing that their computers are riddled with viruses, spyware and other malware, and then charge hundreds of dollars to remotely access and fix the consumers’ computers.â€

The FTC said after getting consumers on the phone, the telemarketers would claim they were affiliated with companies such as Dell, Microsoft or McAfee and had found malicious software on their computers. They would then offer to fix the problem for up to $450, and would then have consumers download a program that gave the telemarketers access to their computers.

“FTC papers filed with the court alleged that the scammers hoped to avoid detection by consumers and law enforcers by using virtual offices that were actually just mail-forwarding facilities, and by using 80 different domain names and 130 different phone numbers,†the FTC stated.

The charges were filed in New York, against 14 corporate defendants and 17 individuals.

They called me last week.

She said she was calling from Microsoft though my caller ID said it was unknown caller, so I figured scam. Also (admittedly this was in retrospect) I thought how much it would cost Microsoft to call people with viruses and figured there was no way.

The kicker was when I asked to be taken off the call list and she asked, "Why, we're just trying to help you." That right there is an immediate fine so I figured she was calling from another country.

She then asked if I was sitting at my computer. That's when I hung up.

Best of luck Groove Fetish, and don't feel bad for trusting people. Hope it all works out for you.

how can we be sure that's even Groove Fetish now? Could be the same people. I don't even trust ollie right now.

It'd be best to be hidden behind a router and turn on all windows firewall settings until you can get malwarebytes or something similar to give your pc a clean bill of health.

if there's anything there, it should find it (with the latest version of course). as for missing icons, it's possible you aren't logged into your regular account. if that's the case, go to control panel > user accounts and see if your regular account is there and log into that one.

I just got one of those calls that convince you to take off your clothes, go stand in your front window and jump up and down. Third time I fell for it but I really think that I could start a club.

where do you live? I drive the van at a seniors home and we are always looking for daytrips. perhaps mrs. mcarthur might have a stroke.

LOUISVILLE, KY.-A U.S. Army veteran claims that a nurse repeatedly put ice packs on his penis after surgery, causing frostbite and gangrene and ultimately leading to amputation.

Michael D. Nash sued the federal government in U.S. District Court in Kentucky on Tuesday, seeking $10 million in damages for what he calls medical malpractice.

Nash went to the Veterans Administration hospital in Lexington for the surgery. His attorneys say a nurse packed his groin in ice for 19 hours afterward. The attorneys say a significant part of his penis later had to be amputated. Attorney Larry Jones says Nash will require reconstructive surgery.

A message left for the Veterans Administration was not immediately returned

Yup- she is up and running. I found some great help on the FBI site that had some cleaning programs. Found all the stuff and deleted it. I did not reinstall windows but I have like three virus protection software's on my computer now so i should be good.

Also, software is already pluralized. :bonghit: