Jambands.ca

Your Top Albums of 2017?

c-towns

Come on out Lurkers, share your musical prowess. I always look forward to seeing and exploring this sites musical suggestions.

Here are a few of mine;

Fruit Bats - Absolute Loser (Thanks to SolarGarlic for this beauty)

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Anyway you love, We know how you feel

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Let me get by

Greensky Bluegrass - Shouted, Written down & Quoted

I'll second the newest Fruit Bats effort. It is solid from start to finish. Great to see them (him) back!

Drive By Truckers - American Band. I think I love this album mostly because it finally gave the Drive By Truckers the press and respect they've deserved for well over a decade. It's not even in my Top 3 DBT albums but it was solid and brought the band back closer to their political masterpiece 'Southern Rock Opera' than any other record since 2001.

Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker / David Bowie - Blackstar. While neither of these efforts will lay claim to the Top 5 or maybe even 10 of each artists deep catalog they sure were fantastic efforts and deserve a listen or four.

The Lemon Twigs - Do Hollywood. Perfect pop/ prog/ rock music that harkens back to a lot of my favorite bands from the late 60's and early 70's. Even if you don't like the music you will love the rebirth of Keith Moon on the drumkit.

Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate. Deeper and grittier than his first release this one keeps getting play in the car even after many listens over many months.

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth. This was not as groundbreaking or as engrossing as Metamodern Sounds but assuming that will be Sturgill's high water mark this year's release was a pretty awesome follow up.

John K. Samson - Winter Wheat. Another lyrical masterpiece from John K. As though we should expect anything less, ever from one of Canada's finest.

I'm sure I've forgotten about or didn't get around to many many more. Looking forward to everyone else's notes!

My favourite (and most listened to) albums of 2016 in order:

1) Marlon Williams > Marlon Williams - I met Marlon & The Yarra Benders on a flight from LA to Portland this fall.  Great guys that invited me out to their show the next night.  Before I went, I checked them out on YouTube and was blown away by his version of "When I Was A Young Girl".  The show was amazing and I have become a big fan.

2) Daniel Romano > Mosey - this album is golden.  Love his voice & style, and I listen to it really loud when I'm driving with a big smile on my face ??

3) Woods > City Sun Eater In The River Of Light - the horns are a great addition to this bands sound.  Saw them live in LA and they were great!

4) Steve Gunn > Eyes On The Lines - thanks for this recommendation in a thread months ago by c-towns.  

5) Anders Osborne > Spacedust & Ocean Views ??????

6) Felice Brothers > Life In The Dark - Sally & Triumph `73 among others make this one a hit for me.

7) Radiohead > A Moon Shaped Pool - I'm a huge fan of this band, but their latest took me a bit to appreciate.  Love it more & more with each listen.

8) White Denim > Stiff - every time I have iTunes on random and one of their songs come on, I think...who is this!?  I ❤ it all.

9) The Low Anthem > eyeland - this is one I bought and forgot about.  Been digging in lately & it's growing on me.

10) Lucinda Williams > The Ghosts of Highway 20 - Lucinda never disappoints.  Enjoyed her show in TO over the Easter weekend too.

11) The Lumineers > Cleopatra - produced by the amazingly talented Simone Felice, this album is a great follow-up to their hugely popular first release.

12) Red Hot Chili Peppers > The Getaway - ???? 4 peppers for this effort

On 12/19/2016 at 2:58 PM, Northern Wish said:

The Lemon Twigs - Do Hollywood. Perfect pop/ prog/ rock music that harkens back to a lot of my favorite bands from the late 60's and early 70's. Even if you don't like the music you will love the rebirth of Keith Moon on the drumkit.

This deserves a second watch...

My picks, roughly top to bottom:

Robert Ellis – Robert Ellis
Brent Cobb – Shine On Rainy Day
Daniel Romano – Mosey
Beyoncé – Lemonade
Drive-By Truckers – American Band
Andy Shauf – The Party
Lydia Loveless – Real
Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
William Tyler – Modern Country
Sturgill Simpson – A Sailor's Guide To Earth

A few good ones that I forgot to mention.

Most were recommendations that I had purchased on iTunes, yet got lost and forgotten about in the library.

Listened to a lot of them on my drive out to Nova Scotia & back this Christmas.

13) The Hip Abduction - Gold Under The Glow

14) Day of the Dead - Various 

15) Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Pond Scum

16) Charles Bradley - Changes

17) Bob Dylan - Fallen Angels

18) Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros

19) The Strumbellas - Hope

20) Michael Franti & Spearhead - Soul Rocker 

21) Mexrrissey - No Manchester