Jambands.ca

17 years gone brah... Phish 7.6.00

Northern Wish

That was one hell of a show, the weather was perfect and this tour started without me ruining tungsten's favorite Stereolab shirt. We did this show through to the end of tour and saw some really great music and experienced awesome weather the whole way (except for the Columbus death cloud on 7.14). Favorite memories include:

-waking up at my parents house in St. Catharines to see my mom sitting on the deck cutting our giant box of sticker rolls into individuals

-Racoon Ridge State Park afternoon hike the day after the show on some great boomers

-hearing P+Friends and Dylan from outside Deer Creek with a mountain of goo balls, free stickers and Blow Pops. We were quite popular that day

-Moby Dick!

-picking the night of the Columbus death cloud as our first night in a hotel all tour, worth every penny (at 1.52 exchange!)

-DwD -> WMGGW on the last night of the tour

I'd love to hear about your memories! Was it your first show? Did you bring others for their first time?

[1] Unfinished.
[2] Small vocal jam during the intro.
For his vacuum solo in I Didn’t Know, Trey introduced Fish as “Mr. Ralph Blowenstein.” Limb By Limb was unfinished. Trey made several comments during the show regarding his affinity for the venue. Hood included a small vocal jam during the intro.

At first glance i thoight this was my first show. Partying it up like a green young thang. Admittedly set two is particularly foggy for me. The YEM to close out first set also stood out to me. A lot of new songs to my ears in those days. I was trying to remember whether that was the show where Burt Neilson Band played at the Atlantis post show on the water with the revolving dance floor. But after consulting the interwebs it seems that was the year prior in 1999. So nevermind....this was not my first show. Blurry times....

Back in those days the amphitheatre brought in so many good acts. Allmans being another regular staple favourite that blew my mind and soul open to all that's out there. Sadly I haven't even been to what is now the Budweiser stage in a long time. I believe the last time was moe and DMB and prior to that it had been a long while too.

Grateful memories 

About six months before this show Doug (eventually from The John Henry's) was at my place and heard YEM (NYE '00 I think?).  It was his first time hearing Phish.  "I feel like I just heard Hendrix for the first time," he said, and he asked to borrow the cassette.  

Three months later he's at my place again and he says, "Oh, I have that Phish tape to give back to you."

I asked him if he learned anything from it and he told me he had learnt YEM.  "Show me," I said, handing him an electric guitar.

Now if you know Doug, you know he learns things right, and this was in an era when the two of us did nothing, and I mean nothing but play/study/teach guitar.  He had spent several hours a day for months working on the tune by ear and he sat on the couch in front of me and played along with the tape for the entire twenty minutes without missing a single guitar note.  I swear it was as exciting to watch as being on the rail at a Phish show.

And so I brought him to this show in Toronto, and all I wanted was for the band to play YEM.

They did, and it was awesome.

Early rows of the 2000's on Rage Side..........slowly stepping across people with "scuseme"s as we made our way to our assigned seats...........pied to the fucking nines with sunglasses on so I could hide my true shape from the world...........tug on my shirt as I located my seat "BOOCHE!" - it was my old across the hall neighbour from 90 Curtis. Steve. Right there. In the flesh. Our mail order tickets were processed with us sitting right beside one another.

I blew up one of the pictures I took at that show and framed it for my brother's bday. Crappy camera, excellent results.