Jambands.ca

Phish Catapult in Vegas

secondtube

Jam band displays awe-inspiring cohesion, but zero character

From the Magazine that brought us that amazing cover? Never!

quote:

failure to return to the stage for a second encore prompted an unusual wave of boos Sunday night. Fans want a little more than the band is giving.

How quick the media will turn on you...and maybe your fans...

Not me, i'll give them Cincy first to prove they can still rock my sawks off. [big Grin]

Rest of Article

not entirely, but its like, we'll put you on the front of our magazine for ratings, but then we'll talk crap about ya a week later.

doesn't matter, i'm sure they don't care (phish). Whats up with the crowd booing? Thats just an example of what i mean by the magazine trashing the band. why put that unless you want to paint a bad picture...i'm listening to the LA show and its sound pretty good, i'm sure they sounded great in LV..

Cincy is gonna rock.

Guest Low Roller

I was there, and in fact the crowd did errupt into a chorus of boos when it became apparent that Phish was ending this epic two-night stay in Vegas with "Friday", a song hardly worth the placement it was given.

don't think i've ever heard any "boo's" at a phish concert....

hmmm...i guess i'd be less than stoked to see Friday end the Vegas run...

It reminds me of when Phish ended Deer Creek 2000 with Wading in the Velvet Sea. I loved it, but many didn't...

Of course they closed Big Cypress with Wading too... [big Grin]

Welcoming the First Sunrise of 2000 with Page singing Velvet Sea

-

[Roll Eyes] Three months ago, people would have cheered for hours if Phish had played "Oops! I did it again" at a barn dance, but let them showcase one of their finest new songs on a full-fledged tour and the precious "fans" feel slighted.

Sorry, but there's something to be said about being ungrateful. [Mad]

Guest Low Roller

That is true. Not to be ingrateful, I loved the two shows. I have nothing against that song being played somewhere in the middle of the set, or as a first encore, but to end the Vegas run? It was horribly placed, and obviously a real big error in judgement by the band. You want to send the fans home happy and hoping for more, not bring them crashing down from an incredible high of a KILLER second set.

moe. on the other hand knows how to finish a show for sure. Sweet Emotion on the first night, and Karma Police the second night. Good God the crowd left stoked after that.

hey Low Roller - hey just to clarify so you know, I certainly wasn't calling *you* ungrateful. Not at all. It's fine to be disappointed by what you think is a bad call on the band's part but when someone finds themselves booing the band for a song selection..... now, *that's* ungrateful!

It's *always* a band's perogative to play what they want to play, when they want to play it.

Sorry for the ranting but that kind of stuff gets me nutz!

I can't believe that happened.

Isn't that a bit selfish to booo?

People go to great lengths to see phish in Vegas, and in that, they expect what they want to hear.

Can't people just be happy that they went to Vegas, and saw Phish with friends again?

That attitude doesn't align with this scene of wonderful people we are all supposed to be. I would have been ashamed to be in the audience of people booing Phish.

Guest Low Roller

MarcO, I gathered you weren't singling me out, rather you were talking about the crowd. No worries.

Although I agree that it's the band's perogative to play what the hell they want to play, at the same time I think that it's their job to make sure the crowd goes home happy. Although Sunday's show was fucking stellar, it's hard to look past the disapointing encore.

Maybe I'm not one to talk since I only saw Phish for the first time this past week-end, but as a rookie Phish Head I can't help but feel let down by that encore.

Selfish or not, people pay the bucks to see Phish and just like anything else you pay money to see, you want to leave on a happy buzz (like the moe. shows)

I'm slamming Phish way too much, I should stop before I get lynched.

....funny....in the past reporters would trash Dead/Phish heads b'cause they would cheer and love EVERYTHING their idols did....ie. "Trey could fart, and the place would go nuts"....

I dunno...there's so much "it's all good" kinda attitude in our scene, I kinda think a bit of honesty can be alright!! I've heard people say, that if a few people had've been a bit more honest with Garcia the last couple years, "hey Jerry! wake up!!" maybe things could've been different...

If it sucks, then it sucks. Maybe it's alright to let 'em know!

As a musician, I would rather hear honest opinions of my craft, so that I can improve, than all praise - (except in regards to my hair [Wink] )

quote:

Originally posted by Low Roller:

MarcO, I gathered you weren't singling me out, rather you were talking about the crowd. No worries.

Although I agree that it's the band's perogative to play what the hell they want to play, at the same time I think that it's their job to make sure the crowd goes home happy. Although Sunday's show was fucking stellar, it's hard to look past the disapointing encore.

Maybe I'm not one to talk since I only saw Phish for the first time this past week-end, but as a rookie Phish Head I can't help but feel let down by that encore.

Fair enough. I guess my thing is, I love that song so it's hard for me to understand anyone slamming it live.

Let's let it go. [smile]

Guest Low Roller

quote:

Let's let it go.
[smile]

NEVER!!!!

well, alright.

On the flip side the following songs kicked buckets of ass:

- Llama

- Wolfman's Brother

- Reba

- 46 Days

- It's Ice

- Run Like an Antelope

- Waves

- Bug -> Ghost -> Free

- Harry Hood

- Sample in a Jar

- David Bowie

- Pebbles & Marbles

- Down With Disease > Seven Below > Down With Disease

- Piper > Down With Disease > Makisupa Policeman

- Character Zer0

I remember people getting just as upset when the ended the Great Went with Guyute... a little too slow and calm for all the muddafukahs. But I agree with letting play whatever the fuck they want. I mean, who really called for an "I fought the Law" encore back in the day?

The reality is that the crowd is too volatile anymore to have a rocking encore. They have to end it calm and collected (I don't know the tune Friday yet, I'm assuming its somewhat calm) so that people can keep there shit together and keep it real.

That may be why Panic does the double, you can rock one and then calm it down...

just my random thoughts on encores...

For those that complained about Phish ending the Went with Guyute, I say this:

You left after the 4th song of the 3rd set?

Ya'll missed this:

Dirt, Scent of a Mule > Prince Caspian

E: Circus Comes To Town, Tweezer Reprise***

Oh yeah, and they burned down that big ole wooden art thingy during Tweeprize

Archived