Jambands.ca

Silverhearts @ Barrymores

Stapes

The Silver Hearts are like a country choir. It's a variable size (say 8-12) band with alot of brass, woodwinds, strings etc. They play swampy, dirgy sort of originals- a little or alot Tom Waitsish. Actually I think they did a full album cover of a Tom Waits album recently.

I always liken the silver hearts to a New Orleans funeral march crossed with southern gospel, definately a Tom Waits feel

worth checking out even if only to try and figure out how such a band evolved in Peterborough (apperently 90% of the band are cooks as well)

really fun stuff

quote:

worth checking out even if only to try and figure out how such a band evolved in Peterborough (apperently 90% of the band are cooks as well)

no offence Paisley, but Peterborough kicks the Hammers ass [big Grin]

there are tons of eclectric, creative, artistic individuals in this town!

for only 74,000 people, the talent that comes out of here and through here is fantastic!

none taken bones

was actually saying its strange for a northern ontario band to have such an accomplished southern gospel/new orleans sound

I like people from peterborough!

(the hammer has more than its fair share of kick ass talent though, can't be judged from one strange night at the pepperjack [Wink] )

quote:

Originally posted by paisley:

Actually to me, the Silver Hearts are Peterborough in a nutshell. (esp. when seen on a Wednesday night at the Montreal House).

BradM, I liken this cowboy orchestra to 1920's tavern music, the only thing missing is the chicken wire fence across the stage to protect the band from flying beer bottles.

I hope some of you check 'em out tomorrow night!

quote:

Originally posted by bones:

quote:

no offence Paisley, but Peterborough kicks the Hammers ass [big Grin]

there are tons of eclectric, creative, artistic individuals in this town!

for only 74,000 people, the talent that comes out of here and through here is fantastic!

I can see a Peterborough vigilante group in the early stages of formation. hehehe

quote:

I wanted to go...but I just couldn't get out. Now I'm waiting to hear wassup.

What stopped you? Pushing 7 buttons on your phone for a cab? Bastard [smile]

A bunch of us (stapes,jaybone + erin, gentle monkey, asparagus + rosie) made it out, got drunk, had some laughs, survived the cold yadda yadda. Fun night but the sound guy butchered them (the sound at Barrymores can be real iffy - honestly i just think the sound guy at Barrymores is real iffy cuz when other bands bring their own sound guy there never seems to be problems). You could barely hear the two guitars and the theremin was so low in the mix you had to really strain to hear it.

Great turnout for the Silver Hearts though, close to a sell out. They put on a great show (as always) and id recommend them to anyone that wants a night of ecletic, tom waits-esque, country choir(i dont think that statement does them justice). A cool band to watch perform and listen to.

Archived