Jambands.ca

Hammond funksters...

CyberHippie

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

I have a few Jimmy Smith albums, including Root Down. I had thought he was going to be much more funky than he actually is. I find most of his stuff to be kinda contemporary dinner time jazz. Do I just have the wrong albums?

I think he's considered more of a jazz artist. The AllMusic profile of Jimmy Smith is here.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey hey!

Definitely not funky, but Keith Emerson & Jon Lord were always two of my favorite Hammond players. Both had such aggressive attacks to their sound.

A great jazz Hammond favorite album of mine is Smokin' by the sax player Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis with the organist Shirley Scott. Fantastic old-school Hammond playing!

Tom Waits makes great use of the Hammond in a very cool, moody way, check out some of the stuff on Swordfishtrombones.

Garth Hudson is a classic rock organist, although he's actually associated more with using I believe a Lowery organ than a Hammond. One quirky thing about the Lowery is the "glide" pedal, which allows you to pitch bend it down a step. I believe it was designed to emulate a Hawaiian guitar. You can hear that in his leads for "The Shape I'm In" among other tunes.

Peace,

Mr. M.

for older stuff, Lonnie Smith(blue note guy)

For newer stuff, Larry Goldings...this guy is incredible, he played in Scofields band for awhile but he's in all the neu-bluenote sessions in NY all the time. Look for a Scofield show from Italy, maybe 98/99...fuggin unbelievable.

As for old and new, i'd say check out Reuben Wilson. his new band 'Rargroov' plays in NYC every now and then but he's been around for a long time...

Benevento Russo duo

Marco Benevento on organ, Joe Russo on drums, wicked Led Zep covers

the show below does have some special guitar guests

normally it's just the duo and is surprisingly enjoyable, but if you know Joe Russo probably not so surprising

cool Jambase article about this show:

http://jambase.com/headsup.asp?storyID=4141

to download it, go here

DISC ONE - Set One

1) Intro

2) Abduction Pose *

3) Big Whopper #>

4) Impact@>Batman Theme>Impact

5) Selma’s March>

6) Seven Nation Army>

7) Selma’s March &

8) High Noon

9) Four Sticks

10) The Wizard *

DISC TWO - Set Two (Entire Set With Scott Metzger on Guitar)

1) Intro/Happy Birthday to Jake

2) The Song Remains the Same

3) Heartbreaker

4) Moby Dick

5) Rain Song

6) Ramble On +

7) What Is & What Should Never Be>

8) The Crunge>Out on the Tiles>The Crunge>Out on the Tiles>

9) Black Dog ^^

DISC THREE – Set Two Continued

1) Bring It On Home^^>

2) Good Times, Bad Times +>

3) Bring It On Home^^

Encore:

4) Paranoid Android

5) Mephisto **

Filler: 8.12.03 Bowery Ballroom, NY, NY RAD NMS III

6) Benny the Jet ++

7) High Noon

8) Paranoid Android

9) Four Sticks

10) Big Whopper

11) The Wizard %

12) Impact%>Bring on the Clowns%

* W/ Heartbreaker Teases

# W/Four Sticks, Heartbreaker, & What Is & What Should Never Be Teases

@ With Rock and Roll & The Crunge Teases

& W/ Immigrant Song Teases

+ W/ Audience on Vocals

^^ W/ Joe Russo on Vocals

** With Eric Krasno on Guitar

Filler Notes:

++ With Louque Trio (Dustan, Paulie & Josh) Louque Song, 1st time Played

% With Skerik on Sax

Greg Allman

He's not the most accomplished musician, but Greg's hammond playing combined with his soulful voice adds so much mood and depth to Allman Brothers' songs.

" Dreams " stands as an eery blues organ classic. Take away the organ from " Elizabeth Reed " and the song loses it's sadness and haunting groove.

Garth is the man. More of a Lowery player than a Hammond as seth said. Lonnie Smith is the guy with the turban right? I'm pretty sure I'm not toally confused, I think I saw him with Lou Donaldson at the Senator once. With a japanese guy on drums who could play like a hummingbird.

Nice! I grabbed a Soulive show from the etree archive today. I'll have some good listening at work tomorrow!

btw - it doesn't have to be just hammond b3, but I love that sound so however they get it is all good. Can't beat the B3 with the leslie though. The Orbit Room in toronto is one of my fav. rooms for that reason!

quote:

Originally posted by Crystal_Tears:

I am a Hammond
[smile]
!! Hehe Does that mean I'm funky???

Depends. How often do you shower? [Razz]

Another funky keyboard outfit: OM Trio. I saw them at moe.down (in the beer tent), and they blew me away. Keys, bass, drums, all seriously funky and fun, with the keyboard player running his righ through a bunch of Line 6 effects and using samples and loops to add just a touch of "spice" to the mix.

Aloha,

Brad

love jimmy smith . . he started the whole funky hammond thing. hammonds sound soooo nice when played correctly, i've never yet got the opportunit to actually play one ( a B3 that is). i dotn mind kyle holingsworth's playing when he switches to the organ, and though he plays a farfisa and not a hammond im a big fan of ray manzarek. and garth hudson! If you want to hear some of garth at his finest check out "chest fever' by the band.

Yeh, Ray Manzarek is another classic player. FYI in the early days of The Doors he mainly played a Vox Continental organ, and also a Fender Piano Bass for the bass lines which is basically the lowest notes of a Rhodes. You've got to respect a guy who can play killer leads like that AND hold down the bass.

Also while we're on great non-Hammond organists, Steve Nieve's Farfisa playing on the early Elvis Costello stuff is essential. Check out "Radio Radio", or pretty much anything from the first 3 albums for that matter.

- M.

i saw this really funky keyboard player at the Gordon Best Theatre in Peterborough

at times it sounded like he was wailin' on an organ [Cool]

it was a band called Funk Odyssey

i believe he goes by the name "sticky fingers" [Wink] but his jams were soooo slippery smooth

and those vocal lessons seem to be paying off too

he was the core of the band in my opinion, and has a BIG future ahead of him

one day i'll be telling folks...ya i partied with that guy [Cool]

Archived