Jambands.ca

Tea Drinkers...

CyberHippie

I was a big orange pekoe growing up until recently trying the earl grey. Tastes sweet if you ask me (might be the amount of sugar), i think perfume would taste more paint thinner, you know, getting perfume in your eyes burns like hell, and some people believe bathing in tea is, well, something good which doesn't burn in the same sort of way.yup.

Somethings good being soaked in tea?

Turns out Earl Grey is just black tea with the flavour Bergamot added. Seems like Bergamot is a citrus fruit and can be associated with certain flowery scents. Guess that's where I was getting the perfume from. It's not working out for me at all, the smell of my empty cup is making me nausious. What a wierd flavour/scent.

Back to the Irish Breakfast for me...

Bergamot is an American perennial; it is 2-5 feet tall, very erect leafy, tubular stalk topped by a fuzzy flower cluster, brilliant scarlet. The paired leaves are dark green, growing 4-6 inches long. It has a dense, rather shallow root system, with any runners. The plant sets seed which are light brown ovals. Flowers June to September.

Bergamot or bee balm is a part of American history; it is a source of tea which was a popular substitute for the imported variety amongst the mid-Atlantic patriots in the wake of the Boston Tea Party. That period was probably the best in bergamot's history, though it retains its mystique, thanks to a striking appearance and the richly American nick-name, Oswego tea.

The entire plant emits a strong fragrance similar to citrus, but most like that of the tropical tree, orange bergamot, hence the nickname bergamot. The scent is suitable for use in potpourris and other scented mixtures. The bright red flowers attract bees, hummingbirds, and butterflies and make striking, long-lasting cut blooms. The blossoms provide the flavoring for the famous Earl Grey tea. The flowers are also edible. bergamot

yeah i drink loads of the Twinnings earl grey in a tin...you need a teaball for it. I love the smell, but it is similar to Lavender so that might be throwing you off. It's one of the few decent loose-leafs I can get without hitting a specialty shop. Another one I came across is stranger - it's from Lee Valley Tools(woodworkers and craftkiteers will know the place) Anyways, it's a tin of high-grade Ceylon Orange Pekoe. Yummy. I usually only put 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in a cup of either...and no milk. That's just wrong.

When I lived in Edinburgh at the Princess Street West Backpackers, myself, Anthony from Ireland, Peppe, Massimo, Damien, from Italy, drank Earl Grey everynight before the first person would go to bed, and in the morning before the first person would go to work... everytime I have a cup, it puts a smile on my face!!! (in fact, i think I will go and make one now!!!) thanks-- Cyber hippie!

quote:

Originally posted by CyberHippie:

Back to the Irish Breakfast for me...

My brother's a tea drinker (whereas I'm a coffee drinker), so I got him some Scottish Breakfast tea for Christmas.

If you're in Toronto, you might check out Dinah's Cupboard (50 Cumberland, just West of Yonge) for a good tea selection; it's where I got the Scottish Breakfast (and something called "Blue Hawaiian" tea).

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

The best tea by-far is
cold tea
, served in most Toronto Chinatown restaurants... after-hours.

Aww yes.....I recall a few of those once after a silver dollar show one night.Couldn't drive home after that..lucky I was still driving the van then.

I fully agree with you cyber hippy....bergamont in my tea make me sick....I know many people who love it but I can't even sit near some one drinking EarlGrey....the smell gets in my mouth like perfume ...arg its upsetting me just thinking about it! Otherwise I love tea!

i love tea too. i think i might marry it if benicio del toro doesn't call back.

awake tea by tazo is good, and om by tazo but it's hard to find nowadayz...

also i once had this licorice tea from aveda...damn good.

also an aside: bailey's in the coffee. holy crap that's good.

from the looks of it i need to expand my vocabulary. sorry about that. my name is meggo and i love teaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Whoever thought Tea would be such an interesting topic of conversation...........somone should write a song about it............then we can glorify this tea we all speak so passionatley about.........as for me gimme the lemon tea and I'll even dip a hot dog in it!

Archived