Jambands.ca

so now what's this all about....

bONES

it can't be the same band as some of you went to see in Hamilton a couple weeks back...is it?

The Australian pink Floyd Experience

notes :: “The best tribute show in the world” LONDON TIMES. “I never thought I would hear this music live again, you must go and see this show” LOS ANGELES TIMES. The greatest rock music ever written comes to life again as the stunning AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD SHOW visits Toronto on March 13th at the Hummingbird Centre. Having conquered Europe, now it's time to rock North America. The show is a phenomenon. What started out over ten years ago in Adelaide, Australia, has evolved into a truly magnificent sound and lights spectacle performing to hundreds of thousands of people at major venues around the globe. David Gilmour, Pink Floyd's guitarist, is a fan himself, having witnessed the AUSTRALIAN PINK FLOYD SHOW three times. In November, he joined thousands of Pink Floyd fans in London's at the famous Royal Albert Hall for what was described as a show that truly embraced the Floyd legacy. These Aussie kindred spirits have amassed a dedicated crew of over twenty like-minded obsessive, all addicted to the gloriously pioneering psychedelia of Gilmour, Waters, Barrett, Wright, and Mason. Together they travel the planet putting on this spellbinding re-creation of the cream of the Pink Floyd catalogue, fulfilling the desire of Floyd fans everywhere who crave to hear these amazing songs performed live once again. It's a tantalizing voyage, from the trippy Barrett era to the mystery of Dark Side of The Moon, from the majesty of Wish You Were Here to the twisted intensity of Animals, from the relentless power of The Wall through to the lush grandeur of The Final Cut and The Division Bell. Floyd fans that haven't yet witnessed the show are seriously missing out. Believe the hype, it's as good as everyone says!

This is all about yet another band that makes it's living and gets it's kicks off of another bands hard work. Lots of these popping up now. Keep supporting this type of band and that's all we'll have left.

In my opinion supporting this shit is doing live music a dis-service.

Agreed Velvet.

I heard yesterday on Q017 psychedelic sunday that theres a AC/DC "experience" out there already.

Seems like theres a couple guys sitting someplace somewhere hiring the "best" of the cover bands and trying to make "super" cover bands outta em all.gettin fat pockets doin it to.

These all get the ever growing popular Esau "3" thumbs down review.

---

Just to play tributers' advocate, I'll note that there are times when I find such bands acceptable. I bring up as an example the band, "Bitches Brew". This is an outfit composed of some of Eastern Ontario's best jazz musicians (including members of Chelsea Bridge, IIRC) who get together once in a while to do the music of Miles Davis from the "Bitches Brew" and "In A Silent Way" period.

I never got a chance to see Miles in that time (being only about 2 or 3 years old...), and, while I know the music quite well, it's still exciting to see/hear this stuff made live in front of me, up close & personal.

So, I think "tribute" acts have their place, if:

1. It's not a full-time thing for the musicians involved (i.e., they do other things outside of the tribute act).
  2. They're performing music that doesn't get played often (live or on the radio).
  3. It doesn't swamp out other bands making non-tribute/cover music. (Barrymore's, for example, seems to have such acts once or twice a week. [Mad] )

Aloha,

Brad

I'm all for cover bands... at the bar level maybe...I've had some good times seeing 'Back in Black' and 'Van Whalen' but yeah I find this type of band strange. I'm sure lotsa bands or musicians started playing covers, and maybe even had gigs that paid them for this...

I can also understand an emulation of a certain era of a theatrical band - ie Floyd or the Genesis one that comes around every now and then...it is a bit more of an 'experience' with the staging, props, lights, etc....but in the back of my head is the notion that it's a cover band up there. I guess it's an opportunity by those of us that are 'age-challenged' (ie didn't get to experience this thing the first time around) to see what it may have been like.

The 'Phix' one doesn't fall into this category.

They are simply a cover band with some financial backing apparently. Now what about Project Object? Very talented, and Zappa isn't about to play anytime soon....

As for an ACDC one, why? KISS sure why not, i'd pay bucks for the makeup and explosions...

quote:

Originally posted by Velvet:

This is all about yet another band that makes it's living and gets it's kicks off of another bands hard work. Lots of these popping up now. Keep supporting this type of band and that's all we'll have left.

In my opinion supporting this shit is doing live music a dis-service.

so, you've heard them then, and they sound like shit?!?!?

I have no problem with cover bands...but these are corporate

made cover bands.

Quite a difference if you ask me.

I go see many a cover band,example: Rose Garland..awesome GD cover band,as is Caution Jam another great GD cover band.There was/is Screamer (Led Zep)Bayou Boys (CCR)Night Prowler(AC/DC) to name three more..although Screamer was seeming to think they really were Led Zeppelin after awhile and it made for quite an annoying show....the last three bands I have been seeing since the late eighties and they still only play bar gigs.

Usually cover ranges between 8-10 bucks for anyone of the last three I mentioned and you all know what the range is for Rose Garland & Caution Jam usually.

Just look at the ads for this shit also.

"Note for note..word for word..."

Thats how they describe these bands.

I talked with an electrician at my union hall about this shit,since he worked the PF show here in Hamilton I guess...he thought the music was butchered...lacking anything new or original.He's about 50+ and seen PF many times.."this was quite a disappointment,I am glad I didn't have to pay" he said.

Now its entirely up to ya'll what you want to pay to go see a band,I know I would pay large for the right band or a really talented band I didnt know even.

But paying 45-50 dollars to see this shit..come on.

My measely two cents.

Does anybody else remember the Pink Floyd cover band that headlined Saturday night at a CTMF, with nero coming on before them? nero broke out "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", and it was infinitely more exciting than the Floyd dupers, whose music (which was largely pre-programmed, esp. the "Dark Side Of The Moon" snippets and edits) was incredibly bland.

Aloha,

Brad

Fuck off sparky.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the music - either they sound like who they're ripping off or they don't. If they're really good at it all the more reason to stop doing it and try to make a living creating music.

Really though, no sense arguing with someone whose 'dream job' was selling t-shirts for a cover band. Keep dreaming man - it's what you do best.

"That dark star you've hung with care over your head

Is just a cardboard facade, or a memory at best."

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I never got a chance to see Miles in that time (being only about 2 or 3 years old...), and, while I know the music quite well, it's still exciting to see/hear this stuff made live in front of me, up close & personal.

Aloha,

Brad

If it was advertised that it would be: "Note for Note...Word for Word" would it have the same effect or excitement level for you?

I ask because,it doesn't and wouldn't for me.Atleast not for 45-50+ dollars,I would like some originality to at least show in it or at least their own interpitation of the music would be better IMHO.

....maybe its just me I dunno.

quote:

Fuck off sparky.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the music - either they sound like who they're ripping off or they don't. If they're really good at it all the more reason to stop doing it and try to make a living creating music.

Really though, no sense arguing with someone whose 'dream job' was selling t-shirts for a cover band. Keep dreaming man - it's what you do best.

"That dark star you've hung with care over your head

Is just a cardboard facade, or a memory at best."

so what exactly is your problem with me anyway?

i can't really remember ever giving you a reason to dislike me Todd...was it the clothes/music i sent up after the fire? was it putting you on the guestlist at DSO and sharing my fungus, herbs, DSO's beer from their green room?

Oh wait, it was loving a girl that i've known a lot longer than you, and not willing to "pass her over" (as you put it) to someone like you!

and not that i care if you know my reasons for working for DSO...but, it was meeting Bill Kreutzman, Mountain Girl, John Barlow, Vince, Betty-Cantor Jackson, and other GD family that was the dream.

i paid 8-10 bucks in sarntuckey(sarnia -if your looking for it on a map of ontario) to see a PF cover band In the Flesh. was it worth the 8-10 bucks? oh ya! light lazer smoke the works.

but what made it more worth it was to watch swifty move his chair right up front center stage

and proceed to rock out all night. swifty even played some of his legendary high style air guitar.

did jen take that guitar away from you after you got married swifty????

quote:

I hate sparky.

Cover bands suck.

Whatever, no biggie.

Back to the suppression.

sounds like you're stuck betwix pre-school and kindergarten you immature sore LOSER

and my name is Scott...only girls i sleep with call me sparky

seeing how it's a reference to how electrifying I am in bed, you may want to stick with..."I hate you"

oh and btw....dido!!!

because i did 3 yrs in a N.Young cover and countless yrs covering other groups/people AS WELL AS writing original music...

..i kinda hate the 'if you aren't writing original music, then you suck' mentality that occasionally pops up in various shapes and forms.

any one can write (not well mind you). not everyone can play a cover and pull it off. covering a song provides a benchmark to which you can measure the quality of musicianship as well. i appreciate (although in different ways) the gifted original-music player as much as the gifted dude pulling off someone else's chops well.

covers and tribute bands AT THE BAR LEVEL (as someone already said) are totally cool and are not a dis-service... unless of course i'm wrong, in which case please ignore the preceeding statements and tweak my nipples..

Part of this started to remind me of the Bob Moses letter to the Boston Phoenix:

quote:

A being's life and their music are one in the same. A person's music is their blood. Their compositions their children. It's all we have and all we leave behind. One must go deep inside, on a long difficult journey to find your own voice. Your own song. Your own language and vision. Each beings inward spirit quest is a sacred and singular path. It can't be shared, borrowed or stolen. That's acting as in pretending. Masters like Mingus were not acting, they were being. They knew that one must only play what's theirs. What you like is not yours; only what you live is yours....There is a basic flaw in the thinking of many people who believe that liking something justifies and entitles one to take and use it as you please. This thinking is what enabled the first colonialists to come to the "new-world", plant a flag and claim it as their own. It's the same shameless attitude that allows Kenny G to think its okay to duet with Louis Armstrong after he's dead (hooray to Pat Metheny for blowing the whistle on that one) or bass players who think it's okay to play Jaco's licks verbatim, albeit without the soul, groove or power of the original. Similarly, the Napster Generation who feel that because they like an artist its okay to come to a gig, record them without asking and with no compensation and distribute it freely to any other so called fans around the world....Play and write your own music based on your experience. Work hard to master the elements of music i.e. melody, harmony, rhythm and Spirit. The more discipline you have the more freedom you have. The results may not be "jazz" (except in the improvisational aspect), and it certainly won't have anything to do with Mingus or anyone else you have never met, played with, heard live, and who are light years removed from you in every imaginable way. But it will be unique, it will be yours, it will be honest, it will be real and in that sense it will be closer to the essence and path of those great artists you profess to admire.

And for the jamadoodlers:

quote:

This part is addressed to many of you in the so-called "Jam Band" scene. If any of you are serious about mastering any form of "black music". Here it is. Don't just play with other white college kids your own age. The clueless playing with the clueless will only add up to massive cluelessness. Play with black musicians, Latino musicians, Brazilian musicians, older musicians. Play with the masters if they will let you. If you are lucky enough to play with a great musician (and its not just luck, you have to seek them out) don't play what you already know, that's the worst mistake. Come empty so that you can fully listen, learn, absorb and inhale the essence, the feel and the spirit of whom-ever is the strongest player there. When I played with Mingus I never took my eyes or ears off of him. Start at the bottom. There's nothing wrong with playing the compositions of Mingus, Miles and Coltrane but if you do, before you can make a simple half note groove it's just self delusional. Join an R&B or Gospel group. (Mingus was a master of these styles.) Play for non-white audiences. Do it for years until you can get the people dancing by yourself.
If you only play for jam band, 99% white college age audiences, you'll never get the critical feedback you need to learn
. Master several forms of simpler, but not simple black music, like zouk, calypso, reggae, samba, afro-cuban, funk, r&b or hip-hop. Then you might be ready to take on "jazz" the most harmonically complicated and virtuostic form of black music. Spend twenty years mastering that which for starters means knowing all the standard's and jazz compositions in every key, at any tempo, without ever owning or looking at a Real Book.

As I read over that I realize (and I'm gettting way off point here) how much of this advice The Slip has already taken to heart.

On the cover issue I am the biggest hypocrite really (well on many issues really). On the one hand I really want bands to challenge themselves and push the boundaries. On the other hand I love a well rendered cover and would agree that they serve as a good benchmark of a bands abilities.

Oh and way to taste the waste boys. Can't you feel how strong the force is over on this side- it just surges and courses through your veins don't it. Don't worry sparky tons of folks hate me (although admittedly the lion's share of them are tools).

Well well, lots o' passion here on this topic. Seems to me that this discussion might be a wee bit of a red herring. All, (and I mean ALL) great artists (painters, musicians poets etc.) start creatively from a point of reference that is directly in homage and influenced by their mentors and or their environment. Finding ones own voice takes time, but, as Velveeta and Bob Moses point out, it is important, especially if you want to respect your art seriously!!!!! to find that voice that is yours. You will never find that voice only playing music written by other people.

However, to agree with 6ftgroove to some extent about the 'if you aren't writing original music, then you suck' problem. There is nothing wrong with run o' the mill weekend warrior tribute or cover bands like Rose Garland, Caution Jam playing beer soaked pubs and having a great time with appreciative partiers. However, as a player in this scene I've seen this issue cut both ways, with some of these weekend warrior types taking themselves and what they do wayyyyy to seriously, it is comical.

My only real issue with cover bands is that after a while it all just seems boring to me. I'll take the thrill of watching someone struggling, swirling through their own stuff, finding themselves over an expertly played cover any day of the year. Witnessing a journey of discovery is far more enjoyable. Dont think I'd ever truly enjoy visiting a gallery to see a copy of a Group 7 painting or the Mona Lisa

Archived