Jambands.ca

Who likes Jambands?

kung

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I have a direct line set up where I get a wake up call from one the guys everyday!!! today was Travis' turn!!!

So I must ask Kung where does this hatred stem from??? I mean, maybe this is far too personal of a question, but, I wonder how someone can hate a band that passionately, when they haven't even performed a pepsi commercial??

quote:

Actually I have a direct line set up where I get a wake up call from one the guys everyday!!! today was Travis' turn!!!

wow

string cheese is manufactured jam music IMO, they play what the wooks on hepC tour want to hear,, i mean sci tour, while they dance on pharmies, slobber on each others bowls, kidnap my friend jennys kid, hit me in my big fat head with hula's and pass out on our car.

i just cant get into it,, it took me about 3 hrs to find pot on teh lot,, that is terrible,, if i had wanted oxys, vics, percosets, ludes, K, E, Molly, or anything that some guy can pix in his trunk, i woulda been set up in 10 minutes.

i swear i heard some guys discussing ether in one aisle.

im pretty sure i read it on this site,,

sci really put the asss back in bluegrass.

i couldnt agree more

but hey im glad you dig em so much,, we all need something that we dig alot.

Where does this hatred stem from.... I feel my head about to spin around Rosemary's Baby style. I don't want to get too off topic whatever that is but here's a few reasons:

- They seem to have incorporated the marketing strategies and musical styles of the Dead and Phish in a very derivative fashion. It reminds me of McNally's comments about the latter day Dead that the repertoire was reduced to a series of noodle armed dance cues.

- Their songwriting is of the lowest calibre to the point of being laughable. It is likely a sincere expression of their high mountain winsomeness which is detestable to anyone who isn't a skibum living off the avails of theirs or their audiences trustfunds

- Their personal appearances actually really bother me particularly the goofy looks they have on their faces. I know you can't really blame someone for how they look but I do.

- Their talent is not commensurate with their popularity in the least. This suggests a very good organization behind them which they have, and also a culty implication I don't like. I think there are likely thousands of bands that could acceed to the same level as them with the same organization behind them.

- They only embrace the lighter fluffier sides of existence and wholly ignore the darker aspects of life. I think this is really a dangerous approach as they can afford this breaziness whereas their audience cannot. I find it irresponsible to be honest.

- I could go on forever but I just don't find their musicianship compelling in the least. I think Ashley McIsaac could stuff Kang under a carpet in five seconds flat. They are all fairly mediocre players playing mediocre songs to a mediocre audience. The whole exercise smacks of life avoiding delusion which I know all too well.

well, I see I have myself backed in a corner here... (Help me Sloth!!!) anyways, guys, I don't agree with any of you, and guess what, I ain't going to. I think they play as well as a band can together, it isn't to me, all about lyrics, or the talents of this guy or that, (example Cream??--crap) anyways, they play together, like no other band I have ever heard, apart from the DEAD. I love the way they fluctuate from one instrument to another, and don't even get me started on Travis bangin on Billy's guitar!!! -- they make me smile, and they inspire me to write, so I love them!!! and MEDIOCRE FANS???-- Kung, alot of friends of mine are cheeseheads, and let me tell you, there is nothing mediocre about them... me on the other hand, maybe I bring the bar down a bit!!! not sure, guess you have to ask around!

quote:

I know you can't really blame someone for how they look but I do.

Did you check out the thread about Deaners facial expressions, his looks must not be foolish due to his abilities....

[Roll Eyes]

I like Ween

I like SCI

I've seen both, and havent experienced any of these horrific incidents you claim are happening at SCI shows.

I recently saw Ween on back to back nights, I had a blast due to the my surroundings and the good music, but i must say, they played almost identicle sets, which was kind of a let down, considering the amount of songs they have.

I'll go see both bands again regardless if you or anyone else likes or dislike them.

I like music too.

peace.jamesd.

I have to admit it would make it easier if I could get into this band. I too have good friends (Weirdness, Fetish, Heady Gouda) to name a few that love this band and they seem to have otherwise good taste in music. It just dawned on me that the Cheese are like the Entertainment Tonight of music. Mary Hart is a scary fucking bitch if you really look into her perpetually peppy beady little eyes, but if you block that out for a moment you can find out what's really go on with JLo.

I do 'get' what people see in them. But it is so foreign to my sense of good music and the sentiments are so contrary to my experience of life that it's almost impossible. Joy for joy's sake can be depressing as shit.

thought this might be relevent.

Purposes of the Music Critic

To act as an educational medium for the promotion of high standards of music criticism in the press of the Americas.

To hold meetings in which self-criticism and exchange of ideas will promote educational opportunities.

To increase general interest in the growing culture of the

Americas.

The Music Critics Association of North America is a member of the National Music Council, which was formed in 1940 to provide a forum for the discussion of the country's national music affairs, to act as a clearing house for the joint operation and decisions of its members, and to work as a force to strengthen the importance of music in our society and culture. The Council has a membership of 50 national music organizations encompassing every form of professional and commercial music activity.

This post was" Who likes Jambands ",wasn't it?I enjoy the scene, the smilin faces,getting styled with similar minded folk as far as styling goes.

I'm going to music venues of all types for over 20 years.The scene that induced this very site is by far the most continually enjoyed music community I've had the luck to hang in.May it continue forever and evolve and vary as music does,and the folks that don't enjoy it can just bail. [big Grin]

Tigger ... you make me smile and bounce!

If you mean the Dead, Phish, SCI, Karl Denson, nero, Diesel Dog, Fat Cats, ABB, etc. etc. etc. then yes I like jambands!

I also like discussion, critical analysis, honest opinions, etc. However, I don't like it is when the discussion turns into a personal attack on others.

And I wonder ... if I don't like jambands, why am I spending so much time on jambands.ca?!?!? Hmmm, I don't like watching hockey, but I think I'll spend every Saturday night watching a hockey game. I don't like going to the local meat market pickup bar, but I think I'll go hang there every Friday night. I don't like reading the Toronto Sun, but I read it every night. I don't like masturbating in public, but I think I'll go to my local park and ...

Peace, Mark

So instead of putting this one nicely to bed you want to cover it with gas and set it on fire? Alright then. Well here's a private message I sent to number 2 that sums it up well. To answer your question I always thought they were pretty hokey but that incident strengthened my resolve. Since watching their DVD I have gotten a whole new wellspring of content for my 'hate' file. If that is one of their better shows I'm scared- I find they build up to about one halfway decent even really good jam section that lasts for 20 minutes or so usually just in the second set. Plus I really don't get what songs are 'bustouts' if there are any. Back to the whole 'incident' it was really distasteful and I picked up from their publicist that there was some intrepidation on their part. It reminds me of when the jamhuggers pulled MK's moedown pass for using the expression jamhug on this board saying 'sorry buddy just business'. It's when they make the shift from 'it's all about the scene brah and we're giving our time away' to 'it's just business' that gets me. Of course it's business, it's well-intentioned underpaid business but all the same.

quote:

Essentially despite really not liking their music I was set to make the trip out west for their shows and lipped off on the board, someone ratted me out and they got pulled. I feel strongly that I am entitled to say whatever I want in whatever way I want especially on a semi-anonymous message board. They made a bad mistake giving me more legitimacy and more reason to dislike them- it felt alot more corporate and damage controlling then 'all about the love'. I also lost a $300 non-refundable flight which pissed me off to no end. I have always said that if I actually went to a show I would probably enjoy myself and dance and whatnot, as long as I could turn off the 'intellectual' part of my brain which probably wouldn't be that much of a problem at least at the time. I was really offended by them pulling my passes though because I had gone out of my way to give Carrie Lombardi indepth information about media outlets in the west they should target and she was legitimately impressed. I was willing to put my preconceptions aside and head out west on my own dime to cover the shows. I am a good gauge of what is being said and not said over the telephone having dealt with alot of gov't types and I can tell you she wasn't entirely comfortable with the situation. I think they are confident in their position in the scheme of things but also realize that they shouldn't piss off too many people with big mouths. So I'm still willing to give them a chance at some point but know I am not likely to change my tune. I think the thing that bugs me is how cheeseheads don't seem to get how someone outside of their community could find their music reprehensible and if we could just meet each other half way...

kung: not to be dick or anything but I need to know for my part 'cus it effects my understanding of what you just wrote:

"Intrepidation" is not a word I recognize, so I looked it up in the OED and couldn't find it there. The closest words I could think of ("intrepid" and "trepidation") kind of have opposite meanings, so I'm curious what you meant there?

Like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick by pointing out a possible fault in your writing, just trying to understand what was meant.

- M.

That's bizarre. It must be a commonly agreed upon usage of the word because it seems to mean even to my coworkers a hesitancy or sketchiness about a situation. At some point the word trepidation must have picked up 'in' as if to say you are in a state of trepidation. Just searching the word I come up with uses of 'intrepidation' even on a UN website that uses it as I have so it must be fairly commonly agreed on but not recognized by Oxford.

trepidation

\Trep`i*da"tion\, n. [F. tr['e]pidation, L. trepidatio, fr. trepidare to hurry with alarm, to tremble, from trepidus agitated, disturbed, alarmed; cf. trepit he turns, Gr. ? to turn, E. torture.] 1. An involuntary trembling, sometimes an effect of paralysis, but usually caused by terror or fear; quaking; quivering.

2. Hence, a state of terror or alarm; fear; confusion; fright; as, the men were in great trepidation.

3. (Anc. Astron.) A libration of the starry sphere in the Ptolemaic system; a motion ascribed to the firmament, to account for certain small changes in the position of the ecliptic and of the stars.

Syn: Tremor; agitation; disturbance; fear.

Archived