Jambands.ca

Who likes Jambands?

kung

quote:

No that's maybe a bit much, if you aren't into twisted humour, depravity, sodomy, useless drug taking and insane larks their probably not for you. Just as if you're not into patchwork, patchouli, sodomy and phatty grill cheeses with the garlic salt the Cheese aren't for you.

For someone who claims to be such a music buff, you sure break out your fair share of sterotypical quotes.

I like Ween and I like SCI, I dont wear patchwork or patchouli, I dont sell phatty grill cheeses, I have a twisted sense of humor...

You need to find a new band to hate this much, the SCI thing has been overdone.

quote:

what is wrong with this scene is the lack of critical points of view.

Why is there a need for fans to hear these critical points of view?

Why must I keep asking this, is there no real answer other than the need to complain in search of a feeling of self worth?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Why is there a need for fans to hear these critical points of view?"

Because without critical points of view, there'd be no need for a public forum. Especially on subjective matters such as art, in this case, music.

"Why must I keep asking this, is there no real answer other than the need to complain in search of a feeling of self worth?"

[Roll Eyes] Who knows???

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

Actually, I should qualify that: there *is* critical pov around here, no doubt. But the idea that the moniker "jambands.ca" should prevent people for complaining about bands they find lamentable doesn't fly with me.

To be fair MarcO, I think the only time anyone has said anything sweeping along those lines is in regard to the bands who's members actually hang out here, and I think that's more just out of just common courtesy and human kindness.

As far as the SCI thing, I think the point c-towns and others were making is that aren't we flogging a dead horse here? Kung and some other folks here think SCI suck, fine, good, let's get on with our lives.

For instance, as much as I've tried to get into them, I truly don't get all the fuss about The Dead - I mean, I understand it but I certainly don't feel it in my soul like a lot of folks here do. I don't think they're bad, but I personally wouldn't consider them the great influence on me that many people here do. BUT I don't use every opportunity to cut up the Dead 'cus it's pointless - it's not gonna change anybody's mind and it doesn't lead to anything constructive.

I agree the "if you don't have something nice to say..." thing is a too-wussy attitude 'cus sometimes it's worth it to stir a little shit - but I'd definitely go with "if you don't have something useful to say..." Saying SCI sucks over and over, even if you believe it, well what's the point, it's obviously just for the effect of pissing people off and accomplishes nothing constructive.

- M.

WOW...such a debating. I must say, I am a fan of almost ALL aforementioned bands (aside from the Disco Biscuits), but I am glad that this forum boasts constructive, well-informed, and heated debate. I, personally, have been listening to the Roots for the past 3 hours and, therefore, will be walking like all slick for the rest of the day. If your in the K/W area and see and oversized whiteboy acting gangster, gimme a shoutout. WARNING: I May Bust a Cap

PEACE

Greg (The New Shady Groove Feb 14th, @Velvet Elvis, Oshawa)

...don't forget about Kung's personal run-in with the SCI gestapo. I believe this may be the source of his lactose intolerance.

quote:

Bad songs + bad jamming = the Disco Biscuits.

I used to think so too, until I saw a Bisco VCD recently that changed my mind. They don't suck. (d'load it here)

To me, Jambands are bands that put on a REALLY GOOD LIVE SHOW. One that you would want to see over and over. That's it.

so my first few cheese shows....were good not great....then radio city music hall, ....been a smiling happy fan ever since.

just got back from a 20 minute JSB set, which rocked, at the east coast music awards. strange influx however of all these weird media people with things around their necks and sporting the latest fashions from wherever they came. not bad just way different for st. john's.

kung...aren't you part of this media scene? it looks strange to me. just wondering if you could comment?

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

quote:

I'd like to have critical opinions of bands like the Disco Biscuits, New Deal, SCI and GTB but I don't care enough about their music. For me, these bands barely register.

This i agree with 100%

--you know, I actually know exactly how you feel, when I think of Tray and fish-- it just doesn't register.

"Thank-you Booche, you made my point right there."

Glad to see subtlety isnt lost on you bud. You know, I used to have this theory that being a deadhead required a certain higher level of understanding life, and generally a much higher IQ than the norm.

Good to see my theory is still alive......... [Wink]

(By the way, before ya'll get yer panties in a knot, I am kidding around folks)

Archived