Jambands.ca

Places to eat in Hamilton

MamaPink

Food? I like food!

La Luna - my favorite restaurant, basically. Fine, affordable lebanese food. Can't go wrong.

The Pheasant Plucker - pub food but better than you should expect. Eat meat? Try the bison burger. No meat for you? Try the veggie nachos (yum!). The daily specials are excellent and they always have the best soups on offer.

Mex-I-Can - low-key, cafeteria style hole in the wall servig the tastiest authentic Mexican food like you'll never have at a chain restaurant. I think they only serve food until about 7pm.

Pepper Jack Cafe - seriously. Great food, come for the calamari salad or the chicken tenders and stay for the recreational drugs and jambands.

I'm too lazy to give the addresses but a 411.com search will do the trick and they're all within a 5-minute drive from downtown. Enjoy! Probably won't see you tomorrow night [Frown] but we'll catch up soon enough!

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

The Pheasant Plucker
- pub food but better than you should expect. Eat meat? Try the bison burger. No meat for you? Try the veggie nachos (yum!). The daily specials are excellent and they always have the
best
soups on offer.

I'll second that.I have had the bison,before I was veg..very very tasty.Awesome atomshpere there also.

Originally posted by bradm:

On first read, and with another topic being a high-runner today, I had a completely wrong interpretation of this topic's subject...

[Eek!][Eek!][Eek!]

My chest cavity is a pretty comfortable place!

On a more relevant topic, there's also The Bean Bar in Westdale, 1012 King Street West. Great food, not too expensive. I had a burrito there one time that was so big I couldn't finish it... and I like to eat!

Originally posted by tatterdemalion:

there's a great authentic mexican joint downtown that i recall. also near there is a good vietnamese place, can't remember the name, but it's a bit of a chain too (one in london and i've seen one in mississauga).

does la luna still make those killer falafels ?

The authentic Mexican joint is Mex-I-Can, mentioned by MarcO. It's on James Street North, just down from the Eaton's Center. Good food, and groceries, too!

The Vietnamese place you're thinking of is the B&T (Ben Thoc Thun? I can't remember. There's one in London, too.). It's on James Street North and Cannon.

And yeah, La Luna still makes great falafels.

If you go to the Bean Bar and you like salads you have to try the bean bar salad, it's really good. I worked there for a few years and it was pretty much the only restaurant that would hire me because my dreads were past my ass. Also good is the British Raj, if you like Indian. It's on John Street across from Pepper Jack.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of La Luna but most people seem to really like it. If money is no object, I'd suggest, in order of expense from reasonable to extreme: The Rude Native, La Cantina, Shakespeare's. If you go to The Rude Native, have the Pad Thai. At La Cantina, make sure you try the grilled calamari appetizer. If you're at Shakespeare's, go exotic and have the wild game or something.

I'd make ya both dinner but I'll be off Stomping with PalacePrincess and Schwa. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by hamilton:

The Vietnamese place you're thinking of is the B&T (Ben Thoc Thun? I can't remember. There's one in London, too.). It's on James Street North and Cannon.

The thing with that place is that they absolutely heap MSG onto everything that they make and they will tell you that they cannot make it without.

My Thai is another good one.

even after 10+ meals, i never knew the name of that place was Mex-I-can. huh.

haven't had pad thai at Rude Native, but i think that this place puts more of its efforts into its appearance. i was under the impression that they knew how to do caribbean-style food good, but the roti i had was crapola. coupla other things i had there were also uninspiring, and that's prolly why i don't even remember them. menu does look interesting though - really varied.

i once ate at the indian place across form peperjacks,, it was amazing,, it was also the first time i ever at indian. the had a guy playing one of the sitar things and everything the food was served on fancy silver disher and everything, i went with you on nye before fat cats and it was some of the best food i ever ate.. and i came out to like 20 bucks a person, it was definatly worth it, plus they had a huge vegitarian section on the menu

Yep I agree jared,although I forget the name of the place right now for some reason.Heard lots of good things about that place.

I'd watch eating at My Thai, 4 out of 6 people we went with before christmas all got sick eating there,myself and a friend only had a spicey rice dish,so we were ok..expect it was rather cool when it arrived at the table. [Mad]

I get pad thai all the time from My Thai and have never had a problem.

The food is best at Pheasant Plucker on Mon, Tues, Thur and Fri nights. Different head cook on other nights! They have some fantastic salads there and their curries are amazing too.

For cheap lunch time falafels, there is a little place in the Wilson Street plaza across from Dr. Disc called Nabil's Grill run by some really nice people. The have specials on falafels Tues and Fri - $1.99 each and they are great. Mon and Wed they have Chicken Shawarma specials too, althought the falafels are better.

They close around 7:00 PM though.

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

quote:

The thing with that place is that they absolutely heap MSG onto everything that they make and they will tell you that they cannot make it without.

[Roll Eyes] Uh... yeah. Here's my experience at B&T:

me: "I have an adverse reaction to MSG. What can I get where I can avoid getting MSG in it?"

server: "Nothing. Everything has MSG in it."

me: "Thank you very much."

And then Julie (from Shady Grove) got conned into ordering a durian shake. Durian, if you don't know, smells like a million dirty diapers.

Note to self: don't go back to B&T. [Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

quote:

B&T is a few blocks west of James on Cannon St.

My Thai is on John Street, just north of King Street. Also on that block is the great Capri Pizza restaurant!

Archived