Jambands.ca

I have a question??

ggrtrhhrtgg

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

oh dude....you have got to change that avatar, e christ its only 8:30am and i'm looking a poo....

here here jon

I wander into every thread hoping number 2 hasn't "posted" there [big Grin]

(who the hell showed him how to put up a custom avatar [Wink] )

quote:

Originally posted by numero dos:

Generally speaking...

Why are the people involved in this scene so utterly pleasant, and warm, and giving???

and why isn't everyone else like that??

[big Grin][big Grin][big Grin]

Actually, in my experience, everyone else is like that, provided the conditions are right.

number2 mentioned jamband people and backpackers, and their "uninhibited generosity and kindness". My parents were (avid) square dancers, and I heard my Dad say on many occasions how dancers were the nicest people in the world; my Uncle was an avid ham radio operator, and would say the same thing. If you needed help (emotional support, a physical object, a place to sleep, even money) it was given as a matter of course.

There are, I think, two characteristics that all these groups share: they're voluntary, and they're non-competitive. (As an example of a voluntary competitive group, just look at your local little league baseball or minor league hockey games to see how competition helps bring out the worst in people.)

The voluntary aspect of these groups means that the people are in the group because they want to be; if it turns bad, they can leave at the drop of a hat. As a result, there's a selection process (akin to evolution) that weeds out the groups that don't take care of their own. Also, being non-competitive, there's no need to get "ahead" of the other guy, because there's no individual "winner" payoff; everyone has fun at whatever "level" they're at in the group. (I've noticed this at Phish shows: the people up at the top of the lawn are having as much fun as [if not more fun than] the people down in the front row.)

(I'm not sure that the combination of voluntary and non-competitive is enough to make a group a pleasant experience to be a part of; it may be necessary, but not sufficient.)

Sharing pain to lessen it,

Sharing joy to increase it,

Brad

Originally posted by number 2:

favourite Phish song-- Wilson

what I take from that song is the obvious reference to the movie Castaway, which is a prime example of what boundaries the human mind will cross in order to counter lonliness--- Hanks was dependant on the relationship he had with a volleyball... even in true lonliness, the imagination can create a world where you have companionship.

Not to burst yer bubble or anything, but "Wilson" the song was written about 15 years before "Castaway" the movie was released. Not that it makes the general thrust of your point invalid - just me, being a nitpicky little prick.

Also, I would like to point out that I love it when BradM makes his eloquent, thoughtful posts. And that I agree with what he's said above rather wholeheartedly.

quote:

favourite Phish song-- Wilson

what I take from that song is the obvious reference to the movie Castaway, which is a prime example of what boundaries the human mind will cross in order to counter lonliness--- Hanks was dependant on the relationship he had with a volleyball... even in true lonliness, the imagination can create a world where you have companionship.

read post above.

wilson by phish a lot older than wilson by hanks.

maybe it was a chicken and egg story

happy beautiful people in the 60's and out of them came the dead attracting more happy beautiful people..

I mean if you're into the beat literature the dead were surrounded by like-minded groups that existed even before they did... the dead just put it out there, so that every one seeking found what they were looking for... a gathering place so to speak that has just lived on...

btw - MD, my friend...what are you thinking with that avatar.. it gets the two thumbs down from me... I know, I know you're going to say "at least I have an avatar" but I'm holding out for the right one thats all...arguement closed [Wink]

Arcane makes a good point, I was the pretty much the same type person as now when I predominantly listened to punk, blues or Zeppelin, I do have to admit though that I felt like I had "Come Home" when I got to my first Dead show... the crowd where I seem to come across the most like-minded people to myself personally

people seem to appreciate the open mindedness and freedom in the jams, the ambiguity of the setlists, that lack of predictability, environmental and social justice, literature, poetry and art... who try to respect other people's opinions as well

is everyone around perfect, no... but there's usually lots of easy smiles and free spirits... I enjoy myself a lot more at a good jam festival than I do at most other gatherings

i don't know if i would liken the gd community to the beat community. it seemed like the people of the beat community were much more individualistic and dare i say, selfish. it seemed like when people had no more use for each other, they split. there was not very much loyalty or longlasting friendship in the beat scene.(from what i have read, i am way too young to have been there) everyone had very different goals and ideals. although, the literature of the beat generation helped to raise many social issues and began the destruction of many harmful social conventions. i just don't think that as a group the beat generation should be looked at as a model upon which to build a new community. i believe a lot of people got hurt because of some people being quite selfish. people have a duty to back up those with whom they share a philosophy. those people are friends. what could be more important in life than your friends? love is the driving force of happiness. spread your love and increase your own and everyone's happiness.

I feel that it is the music that connects us all and makes us feel a part of something special. Our scene is unique in so many ways, but one of the first things I noticed when entering the scene is that WE DANCE! It doesn't matter how you dance, what you wear or how you look, when the music is playing and your body's moving it is bliss and that bliss spreads throughout the community.

Perhaps that sounds naive and I realize there's more to it than just that, but honestly when I see a good band, I feel close to them and even close to the people in the audience watching with me, experiencing the same thing. When I'm on stage, I feel very connected with the people in our audience, and hopefully they feel connected to us. When I'm around a campfire I feel connected to everyone who's singing, playing or just listening. When we hear music we feel it and if we're all feeling the same thing at the same time, it's a unique and wonderful experience.

Yes there are drugs involved in the scene, they're present in many, many music scenes and obviously contribute just as much to violence as peace. They are not the answer. The answer comes from enjoying something that isn't mainstream, that feels special and open-minded.

I think what really makes the scene, is a vast amount of rockin' music, a huge tendancy towards hedonistic behaviour(drugs, fun...), folks who just won't give up on rock and roll(all of us), HEADY ultra-babes(like ms. hux [big Grin] ), cracked out little freakshows(heady epic - where are ya man?), blistering good guitar players(jerry, trey, buddy guy, derek trucks, hendrix, the list goes on and on)...

not to mention number 2's award winning yet horrifying coiler avatar....way to lay that cable man(please make it go away [big Grin] )

this evening, while downloading a dead show, I decided to read another book I had started a while ago... "Long Walk to Freedom."

within it, I came across this...

"For the next few weeks, I was completely and utterly isolated. I did not see the face or hear the voice of another prisoner. I was locked up for 23 hours a day.... I had nothing to read, nothing to write on or with, no one to talk to.

The mind begins to turn in on itself, and one desperately wants something outside of oneself on which to fix one's attention... Nothing is more dehumanizing than the absence of human companionship."-- Nelson Mandela.

The man upstairs has a huge multi-hosed bong for all ov us(its probably shapped as a lava lamp and the smoke changes its colors as its being passed throught the chamber - i don't know) - when we gettin up there ya know - - aint it funny how we all bring lighters when we go out to these venues(99% folks at least)!!!!!!!

Okay, I really like what bradm said, and Ms. Hux, but I gotta wonder, why do club owners find it necessary for security to do weapons checks at dance, rave and hip hop clubs (not to discriminate against any of those genres of music or the fans of those scenes), when they are also non-competitive and dancing. It seems to me that "heads" are just a different non-aggressive kind bunch of folks...perhaps it's all the sharing of the "peace pipe"?

And, hey selah, I don't think it was the same person, but I'd imagine it's a fairly popular topic amongst our peers. Glad it brought back good memories though [smile]

Archived