Jambands.ca

Matt Osborne has passed away ...

mark tonin

I got this email last night from the Circus Room. I didn't know Matt that well, but he was a great musician and songwriter and will be missed by many I am sure. Here is the email:

----------

Today is a sad day!

I have just been advised that our friend Matt Osborne has passed away, the world has lost a great human being.

Circus Room would like to honour Matt as he gave so much to it.

I was wondering if I could count with your help in putting together an event to honour Matt.

All suggestions are welcome, so please e-mail at your convenience.

Wherever he is, I am sure that he is singing his blues with style!

----------

If you do have any suggestions or ideas for an event to honour Matt, please feel free to email me or Irene at the Circus Room (circus@primus.ca).

I don't have any details about Matt's death but will post an update if and when I get some.

Life is precious ...

Peace, Mark

Hi all.

Mark, thanks for posting this. I've been a bit distracted since I heard the news on Friday night but it's starting to sink in. As many of you know, Matt was a very great friend to my band Uncle Seth and a close friend to me personally. I'd known Matt for over 10 years, and he was not only an extraordinarily talented musician and songwriter but also simply a terrific person. Although he made his living solely as a musician in the last few years, he would still never hesitate to give generously of his time to play at jams or guest spots that paid little or nothing, or of his advice or encouragement for fellow performers. I always considered him an inspiration and a role model as well as a friend. A number of his friends in Toronto gathered last night at Free Times to share memories of Matt, and I can say that a lot of my feelings were shared among the group assembled.

I host Matt's website on my server at www.musicface.com/matt. I'll be updating the site with information regarding visitation and funeral arrangements, and with memories of Matt. I also hope to add additional songs and images to the site in the days ahead.

Mark, last night we had also spoke about putting together a night in Matt's honour. In fact, it might be appropriate and fitting to do a night in the KW area as well as a night in Toronto. I'll be in touch with Matt's girlfriend and the members of a couple of his bands in the next little while, drop me a line and we'll go from there.

Take care my friends,

Jay Moonah

a.k.a. Mr. Musicface

Hey Jay,

When I got the email from the Circus Room I immediately thought of you and Uncle Seth. I knew that you were close to Matt and I remember that he sat in with Uncle Seth and played bass with you when you played at the Circus Room. Really sorry to hear the sad news.

I'll help out in whatever way I can with a show in the KW area, by spreading the word and/or playing a few songs. I'll email you ...

Peace, Mark

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've posted the visitation and funeral details on the website at www.musicface.com/matt

Mark, I was just thinking about that Circus Room show and that's a great example of how Matt was. We didn't have a regular bass player in the band at that time, and we were doing that show in KW, and Matt said "sure, I'll do it no problem". He even drove into Toronto one day for a rehersal, and he did stuff like that for us other times too, live and studio stuff on his own time. Matt would play with anybody, come in and do a great job, and not bitch about getting paid a minimum or anything even though he was a professional musician. We knew he made his living doing that so we'd always cut him in for a decent share when there was money, but you know how it is, a lot of those gigs you play and you make 20 bucks or something and there isn't a lot to go around. The rest of us go back to our day jobs and don't worry too much about making the rent. I know Matt struggled to make ends meet sometimes, but I never heard him bitch about it or get uptight about not getting paid enough or whatever. He loved to play, he loved to help out his friends, and those came first for him. And he just never acted like it was a big deal. The fact that he was one of the most talented guys I knew on top of all that just made him that much cooler in my books! :D

It's looking like there will be a couple of musical events in memory of Matt, but I don't want to speculate too much about how those will look until we've talked to the family. Stay tuned here and on the website, I'll post more details as they become available.

Peace,

- M.

Thanks again everyone for your wishes. I've been getting emails and calls from all over the place about Matt, not surprisingly he was much-loved across Ontario and the country.

Scottie, if there's any WLU folks that you think might not have otherwise heard about this that would have known Matt, could you please pass along the info? He still lived in KW and we've been in touch with many of his university friends, but if there's anyone that might not of heard we'd appreciate you helping spread the word.

I'm really sorry to hear this sad news. It's really too tragic to understand how things like this can happen to great people with kind souls. However, it sounds like he reached plenty of people in his life to make it a full one.

I'm sure that his spirit will continue to reach people with opportunity, guidance and support.

Hey everyone. Thanks again for the kind wishes, it's been a rough few days for those of us close to Matt but it's also been amazing to see how many people he touched, and to hear and read many fantastic stories about him that I never knew.

I've been updating Matt's website with information on a Trust Fund set up in his honour, and with memories of Matt:

http://www.musicface.com/matt/

If you have any memories you'd like to contribute, please drop me a line.

Also, we're trying to collect any recordings of Matt. If by any chance anyone here has or knows of recordings that exist, please drop a line to Arun Pal at palstudios@rogers.com or by phone at (519) 744-6148.

Finally, it's looking like there will be a number of shows happening in the fairly near future to benefit the Trust. The details are scant at this point, but at a minimum it looks like there will be at least one show happening in Toronto and one in the KW area. I'll drop a message on here when I have more details, we'd certainly appreciate some help in promoting etc.

Thanks,

- M.

Hey Mr. M. -

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. :(

I work in KW, and the station that we have on in the office (105.3 KOOL-FM) mentioned Matt's passing late last week, and gave a link to your website. Then they played one of his tunes... it was kind of funny, as one of the women in the office said, "Did someone change the station? This song is kind of weird..." Personally, I thought it was a wonderful change from hearing the same 20 songs every day...

I just got this email from the Circus Room:

-----

In light of Matt's premature death, we felt that it was important to consult with the avid Jammers if the Jam Night should continue.

I am very pleased to advise that the Circus Room will continue to host the Jam night on Tuesday. The Jam night will be called Matt Osborne Jam Night. The fee that used to be paid to Matt to facilitate the Jam will be donated to the The Matt Osborne Musicians Trust Fund". This was the best way we found to carry on Matt's work.

-----

Peace, Mark

Yeh, Irene from Circus Room emailed me about that as well. I thought that was amazing of them to do that.

I'll be talking to some of the folks who will be working on the Trust fund within the next week or so, we really need to think seriously about exactly what is going to be done with the money, but there have been some great ideas floated so far.

- M.

Here's another email I just received about Matt:

-----

Friday April 30th

CKMS FM 100.3 tonight 8p.m.-10p.m.

Discussion about Matt Osborne plus some of his music will be played.

Host: Jenn Brown

Contact Jenn Brown at heyjen@porchlight.ca today to share stories and feelings about Matt.

If your radio cannot tune into CKMS for tonight's discussion about Matt Osborne from 8-10p.m. go on-line to:

http://watserv1.uwaterloo.ca/~ckmsinfo/webcast.html

-----

Given the emails, posts, etc., Matt obviously was a very special man who touched a lot of people in his lifetime.

Peace, Mark

Jay - I'm glad to be able to help by sharing the info that I receive about Matt.

Here is a link to an excellent article about Matt that appeared in the most recent issue of ECHO magazine. It's written by Brent Hagerman, a friend of Matt's and the magazine's editor. A very thoughtful and heartfelt piece of writing ...

Matt Osborne article

Peace, Mark

Thanks again Mark.

Things are starting to shape up with the tribute shows. It looks like one will be organized in KW by the aforementioned Brent Hagerman, one will be organized in Guelph by Craig Norris of The Kramdens, and one in Toronto organized by myself and some others. Details as far as dates and locations are still up in the air, but we're looking at no sooner than the end of this month or early June for these to happen.

Mark or anyone else, if you'd like to pitch in for either KW or Guelph, please contact Brent and/or Craig respectively. I don't want to post their emails but if you need them contact me at jay@musicface.com and I'll set you up. And of course if anyone wants to get in on the Toronto, drop me a line as well.

Also, in addition to keeping the Tuesday night jams going in Matt's name, beginning Tuesday, May 4th and continuing for the next 15 weeks, a finished mix of one of the tracks from the album Matt was working on just before his passing will be played at 11:00pm at Circus Room (729 King St. E., Kitchener).

It's great that he's being remembered in so many way, he was a talented and much loved guy, and deserves every bit of it and more.

- M.