Jambands.ca

One for the "Phans" - Coventry website

Esau

Yeah the site is done rather well in my opinion except that the rules are really small on my computer,although it could just be how I have my screen resolution set.

Side Note:

I find it extremely funny how all I had to do was put "phans" in the title with a smirk ( :: ) and next thing I hit "who's online" and see 8 Anonymous users and 3 registered users hit this thread in seconds....expecting somthing else I guess... lol.gif

Side Note:

I find it extremely funny how all I had to do was put "phans" in the title with a smirk ( :: ) and next thing I hit "who's online" and see 8 Anonymous users and 3 registered users hit this thread in seconds....expecting somthing else I guess... lol.gif

i don't get it?

Check out the "past events" photo gallery (note: quotation marks used to denote a link title, thank you - The Management) on the site from previous festivals, with Mike Gordon's comments - man that guy is just so sweetly fu©ked! Hilarious!

Why do you always put "quotation marks" around the word "phans"?

Same reason I put "quotation marks" around other words.

Why do you care?

Just "wondering"....

Since you asked...

Let’s look at the uses of the quotation mark, shall we?

The first use of quotation marks is to indicate speech, as in: John said, “Let’s go for a walk.”

A second use of quotation marks is for: titles of short or minor works, such as songs, short stories, essays, short poems, one-act plays, and other literary works that are shorter than a three-act play or a complete book; titles of parts of larger works, such as chapters in books; articles in newspapers, magazines, journals, or other periodical publications; and episodes of television and radio series.

A third use is for words used ironically, with reservation, or in some unusual way, as in: Cheesehead was greatly valued for his “intelligent” contributions to the discussion board.

Now, let’s take a look at this…

“Phans” is not a quotation, nor is it the title of any of the above types of publications or literary works. It isn’t being used unusually – at least not in a jamband forum. So, either you’re trying to be ironic somehow, or else you’re using the word with reservations, known as the apologetic quotation – which is used to try to distance oneself from the word, or to suggest that it isn’t something that you would want to be associated with - thus, judging yourself to be above the rest of the ilk that you are referring to.

Now, I realize that a big part of what you are doing is just trying to bait Phish fans, but:

1. It’s really getting old;

2. I’m not sure why you seem to get perturbed when people take the bait, and then argue with them, and then complain that you’re misunderstood. You seem to be “misunderstood” an awful lot. Perhaps you should examine why that is.

3. I have no idea whatsoever why creating a post about an upcoming event that many people are interested in, and then actually having people read it, is amusing. I mean, if I posted a thread about Dylan, why would I find it amusing to check who’s on-line and see that a lot of people were interested to see what I had posted regarding an artist that is clearly enjoyed by a large portion of the forum? But, hey – as qu’est-ce que c’est said, whatever melts your butter, right?

Hope this helps!

Well,I see private messeges or straight up man to man in person is not your strong point or forte eh? Or is it cowardice of one to one...I can't tell.

A third use is for words used ironically, with reservation, or in some unusual way, as in: Cheesehead was greatly valued for his “intelligent” contributions to the discussion board.

We have a winner.

thus, judging yourself to be above the rest of the ilk that you are referring to.

I realize your point and realize that is how you must percieve yourself,I myself do not think I am better then anyone,hence why I do not continually pick apart your grammar or posts ("obviously"),unlike yourself with others not only mine.

Come on was that not why you posted this drivel right?

Notice the pattern

1. It’s really getting old;

Then why participate? Seems easy enough to ignore,as most people do.

2. I’m not sure why you seem to get perturbed when people take the bait, and then argue with them, and then complain that you’re misunderstood. You seem to be “misunderstood” an awful lot. Perhaps you should examine why that is.

I haven't mentioned being misunderstood,most people,especially my friends realize what I am doing,as do many people who have not met me.Also,I don't get perturbed at all,I laugh my ass off sitting here watching people get upset at the old comments I make even though its more then clear they are attempts to upset or egg-on.

3. I have no idea whatsoever why creating a post about an upcoming event that many people are interested in, and then actually having people read it, is amusing. I mean, if I posted a thread about Dylan, why would I find it amusing to check who’s on-line and see that a lot of people were interested to see what I had posted regarding an artist that is clearly enjoyed by a large portion of the forum? But, hey – as qu’est-ce que c’est said, whatever melts your butter, right?

As mentioned it was an inside joke.Mentioned online yes,but intended for one person based purely on a PM I recieved about posting this,and so I did.Not my idea.I will refrain from confusing you with conversations to other people while online,my apologys for that...

But I see your point from an outsiders view,but why does it bother you?

Lastly,have I not attempted to discuss this offline at least in a private messege? But You would rather get up on your high grammar horse and attempt to belittle me,now my question is why would you not at least reply or take this into a private matter,as I have attempted to do.

Anyway,I posted this to pass along the info,I made no derogartory comments about Phish or the site but I notice only Paisley,MoMack & Marc0 had anything to say about the website or info within,you seemed to be more caught up on what or how I say somthing.

Seems to me you need to do some re-evaluation here,perhaps let go of some deep rooted resentment that you carry for my incorrect grammar or for me as a person.

Cheerio.

Ps.

Next time don't smile as you stick a knife in someones back and keep my business to yourself,especially since its none of yours.

I know you know what that means so I will not go further into it online.If you wish to discuss this you can speak toi me in person.Loose lips not only sink ships.....

we were right there in front of that mess. the guys was funny as hell...we were laughing hysterically, especially when he started the wresting stuff with the other dude.

although i was pretty fu©ked up and was worried the first time he jumped that he would crack his skull open...but it was all good

1. I don't see how posting something on a public message board, for 1200 people to see and judge on their own, is evidence of "cowardice". Don't worry though, I'm not going to insult your integrity in return.

2. I'm also not being critical of your grammar - in fact, my entire point is that you have correctly used quotation marks to convey a negative connotation (congratulations!! An A+ in Mr Hamilton's Quotation Mark course). This isn't a typo, like entering "form" when you meant "from", or choosing the wrong word, like "weather" when you meant "whether"... you had to consciously use your fingers to hold down two keys to enter the marks around the word. You even said that you were trying to convey a secondary meaning - I believe the words you used were, "We have a winner." If I talk about Britney Spears' music, I might say something positive, negative, or neutral. But if I talk about Britney Spears' "music", it's clear that I don't think much of it - to the point where I would question its being labelled music at all. Only you're not referring to Phish's music, but to people who enjoy Phish's music... a group of people of which I am a part. I can handle all of the jokes about Phish, their fans, and their music that you can throw at me - it's just that I don't see a joke here, only a non-specific negative connotation. Maybe I'm stupid. If you could point it (the joke, that is) out to me, I would be grateful.

3. My real point then, is what is it about people who listen to Phish that you find so objectionable? If you're talking about the type of "phans" that bring a negative vibe to the scene, then your use of quoatation marks is appropriate. But if you are just baiting people for fun, your plan seems to have backfired - because this thread doesn't seem like a lot of "fun" to me. I'm guessing you don't think it's so fun either. I don't think that too many members of this board are the negative type of "phans", anyway.

4. Thanks for posting the link to the Coventry site. It contains a lot of useful information. Much appreciated.

5. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say,"Next time don't smile as you stick a knife in someones back and keep my business to yourself,especially since its none of yours. I know you know what that means so I will not go further into it online.If you wish to discuss this you can speak to me in person." Honestly, I'm not kidding. I don't ever recall saying anything, in this thread or any other, about anything that wasn't directly part of a thread, or that would be construed by you as dealing with something that was none of my business. If you could (privately, as it seems to involve private things) point out to me where I did that, I can either apologize, or explain how you misunderstood what I was posting. As a matter of fact, if you can get me to understand how I have deliberately and negatively involved your private life in some public thread, I have no problem whatsoever issuing a public apology right here.

I'm not looking to start some kind of feud here. We bump into each other all the time, so that would be a pretty stupid thing on my part, wouldn't it? I'm not out to get you, honestly. It's just that unlike Kung, who has repeatedly stated why he holds SCI and their fans in disdain (and, for the record, I agree with some of his statements, and not with others), I have no idea why you seem so bent on ridiculing people who enjoy Phish.

See you Thursday at the Shannon Lyon show!

Well since even my asking to take this private will go unheard I will answer you here.Seems all you want to do is have a publlic dispute,so be it.

To answer your questions in order:

1.Trust me you couldn't.

i)

So,let me get this straight,your whole condensending 3 point ramble about quotations was merely to point out to me that I was using the quotations correctly? Now,why would I need you to point out somthing to me that I already knew I was doing and offering not one but three different

ii)

Remember,I also am a person who enjoys Phish and since the late 80's,which would also make me part of that group,correct?The only negative connotation is the one you percieve.See sub-section one (i) of answer one (1)

I certianly do not think you are stupid,quite the opposite in fact.There is nothing to "point out" to you,it was an inside joke (as mentioned three times,now) directed to one single person (not you).Since we are talking about this thread and not any other one,if you read your first reply.

Also,as mentioned,I apologise for the confsuion.

iii)

If I remember correctly,you said using the word "Phans" ironically,right?Well therein lies the irony,me using a word not usually spelt with a PH,a word created purely because of a band's name,which I do not need to explain since I have on many occasions made very clear my thoughts on spelling words with PH that are not normally spelt that way.

i)

Your real point!? Then what the fu©k was the other post you made?? Just simple bullshit I guess...

I find nothing "objectionable" about people who listen to Phish,I listen to Phish.Please refer to answer two (2) sub-section two (ii).But I do find it funny that people take it so fuckin seriously that one non ass kissing comment gets them fired up into a blind rambling rage,in fact I find it funny when anyone gets that worked up about any band for that matter and once again therein lies the method of my madness,unless,now this is very important,unless they are member(s) of the band or fuckin a member(s) of the band.

ii)

"Phans" are "Phans" regardless of positive or negative vibes are they not?

Actually,this time around I was not trying to bait anyone nor poke fun at people or the band.Although one person (yourself) took it way too seriously and very analitical.So,I am not quite understanding where anything "backfired",except that I wish I had just left alone the fact that the Coventry site was freshly up and waited for someone else to post it and then actually "bait" some people.

I have not once made any comments about anyone from this board who likes Phish as being "negative type of Phans",so please do not attempt to make it out as I have.

4.I regret ever doing so.

5.No comment,private messege time has expired,as mentioned I attempted to take this to private,but you read my private messege then disregarded it and brought it online.

One comment actually,I don't recall,no,in fact,I never once even refered to you saying anything online in a thread or any other thread that would be construed by me as dealing with something that was none of your business.That,is yet another assumption you have made and one based purely on an inside joke I made to another memeber of this board which had nothing to do with "baiting" anyone nor slamming anyone.

I would rather skip the condescending apology that I would expect you to make,nor do I want one from you regardless.

-end-

Yes,I will be at Shannon Lyon but in no way what so ever will you and I being discussing any of this drivel that dwells on this board since I am going to PJC purely to expirence a musician whose music & words from a single show years back carried me through the most tramatic(sp?) and depressing year ever of my life (*Please refer to the Shannon Lyon thread).

Now before this thread was ever posted I private messeged you attempting to straighten things out,you decided to not discuss it politley,quietly and in private but instead disregard it and then create all of this based on a comment I made which I unfortunatley fell for (cudos Brian) and now I actually regret saying it since I meant nothing negative by it.

I apologise to the rest of the board for the demise of what I was figureing was going to be an interesting thread about Coventry.Perhaps a different Coventry thread should be posted since this one is "obviously" ruined and for which I apolgise for my part.

I'm done with this thread and this discussion.