Jambands.ca

Question of the Day

lara

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...some background info for those not in the know...

the youngest of young minds...did you know that babies can hear as of 5months in the womb? And that they will respond to the same music after they're born?

With that knowledge supposedly we could create infants with incredible musical taste ;)

That is the age I refer to, so what I like so far:

Beatles

Mozart

Garcia & Grisman

Cat Stevens

Dylan

Peter Gabriel

American Beauty

Vivaldi

There are other greats that I saw too...

I'd like to put together choice mixed cd's... I hardly know where to start.

If there are any songs that you think particularly important or beautiful...let me know.

I'm making a list, keep 'em coming...

:) L

B000068C97.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

June 17, 2002 -- In their 20 years of creating innovative rock music, They Might Be Giants have broken many music conventions. But even with all their experience with albums, videos, theme songs, and media appearances, the duo had never before put together a children's CD.

Why children's music? The two Johns --- Flansburgh and Linnell -- explain that TMBG's music already sounded child-like with its simplicity and energy. "There's always been the thing about the spirit of They Might Be Giants as a band that is very childlike . . . Making a children's album seemed like a natural," says Flansburgh.

In addition to music, every track on their new CD -- simply titled No! -- has an "enhanced" animated section, with visuals complementing the music when played on a computer.

The duo had to be careful with the topics of the music for this CD, they told host Robert Siegel on All Things Considered. "Our other records have happy, friendly-sounding melodies, they're very melodic, and there's not very much swearing . . . but they do cover a lot of topics that would really be unsuitable for kids, namely death and deep disappointment and bitterness and things like that," says Flansburgh.

Their new CD focuses on children's topics, including crossing the street safely and getting to bed. "It seemed like a good thing to stick on the record, but the thing that made it sort of different was that it's one of the most raucous tracks on the record," says Flansburgh. "It doesn't really make you want to go to bed."

awesome... we'll add it to the letter to santa :)

Weren't these guys at moedown? A far cry from children's books!?

From their webpage...

As They Might Be Giants continue their illustrious, and very adult, career... TMBG releases "BED, BED, BED" a new book and CD package for the whole family.

On the heels of the phenomenal success of their #1 children's album "No!", They Might Be Giants continue to expand their creative horizons with their first literary effort: a bedtime picture book entitled "Bed, Bed, Bed" along with a CD of 4 new recordings including the title track sung by Kimya Dawson of the Moldy Peaches. Illustrated by the up-and-coming fine artist Marcel Dzama, "Bed, Bed, Bed" is a children's book of imagination and timeless charm.

The way I was really exposed to music was through those Solid Gold tapes that they sold at Shell stations off and on. The one that we wore out in the car was Volume One. Started with Buddy Holly - That'll Be the Day, and continued on with such selections as the Del-Vikings - Come Go with Me, Buddy Knox - Party Doll, Ritchie Valens - La Bamba, Fats Domino - Ain't That a Shame and a few others. Despite the fact that they were a chintzy marketing ploy, those tapes really turned me on to rock and roll, and I credit them with getting me into early rock and roll, which in turn allows me to appreciate nearly every genre of music to crop up since then.

Well, I'd completely endorse No!... very good for the kids. A lot of fun... The Giants are a good band for the younger set as it's pretty smart music. The very youngest will enjoy No! and then when they get older, they might enjoy other albums.

I'm sorry to say that I WAS raised on the dead and it made me resent them (and still do to this day), so, be careful with that

one.

Ween's the Mollusk strikes me as seemingly like it would have some good kids tracks. Not all of them, but... try 'The Mollusk', 'Ocean Man' and 'Polka Dot Tail'... do NOT try 'Blarney Stone' and 'Waving My Dick in the Wind' though.

Also, the Beatles are a fantastic choice to start youngin's on. It's the earliest music I remember listening to and loving dearly.

hmmmm. elo, kinks, beatles, alan parsons project, gordon lightfoot, santana, hall and oates, jimi hendrix, rough trade, bruce springsteen, steve miller, juluka was what i was reared on from before i can remember. (thanks folks!)- i feel pretty balanced. at times.

I couldve used more jazz and funk. maybe old jimmy smith, or soul jazz records would do the trick. I think some dead is key. and some classical. some slip, bela fleck could be good. baby will probably feel most attached to whatever moms and pops are appreciating.

i want to throw in votes for gordon lightfoot, cat stevens, paul simon... my mom always put in the graceland tape when we'd drive all the way to my grandparent's in south florida. if i still like it after that... it's gotta be good!!! i think a little CSNY might be good for a developing little kidzo, too. :)

just a thought-to respond to Gentlemonkey's "I couldve used more jazz and funk."--> no one has brought in a flute player yet- you can not forget to introduce the kid to flute.

I recommend

Yuseef Lateef- anything and everything and Karl Denson- anything and everything.

- eveything else that I have to mention except a great kids album- Carole King sings the songs, Reallly Rosie- I can help in any regard.

chat soon- enjoy