Jambands.ca

The End Of An Era

zero

The great thing about this, 'scene'- is that it is perpetual, and continues no matter which bands fold or explode. Or get driven crazy by stereotypes and decide to become decidedly non-jammy.. Everyone seems to waiting for this final stake to be delivered to the heart of the scene with the next downfall, whatever, it can be dead right now if you want. it could be said it died with jerry or phish. But it continues all the time. Its perpetual, and changes constantly in (the listeners) own mind's eye. as evidenced by this thread... maybe ill get sick of it one day and get into polka.. i dont know. or care!

polkaroo!! I missed him again..

no ...your'e wrong ... your'e depressed...you;re projecting... and stop posting your morose neurotic musings you over-literate a$$hole...kid-ding!...keep up the good work ...great investigative reporting...By Jove I think he's got something

on the other hand...could be man...depends on how things look in your world ... the sky's blue and the earth is round in mine...not kidding...

I don't think this scene can really die... I mean, the term "jamband" might become a fossil at some point, but, in my opinion, this is a genre of musical artistry, and as long as individuals value art over $$ then you will have wonderful, improvisational music.... Bands will come and go, however art is infinite.

songs for songs sake or songs for jam's sake?? ...does the song ask for a jam?...if so give it some...if not ...don't...

let's hope the end of indulgent soloing is nigh...but real conversational group improvisation is probably the next step ...you hear it in jazz music and now more conventional/popular forms have adopted it...thanks to the Dead et al...Phil and Jerry ...

I believe that an increased fearless sharing of the sonic canvas is the way things are going ... mistakes are opportunities...perfection is just a concept not a reality...good songwriting will lead us to good jams ...better jams...more inspired collaboration ... it's just around the next corner...

Having caught Contact and JSB in Guelph the other night I realized my ignorance was based on absence from the 'scene'. Gawd if Contact don't just slay- Nero and the New Deal leave big shoes to fill and Contact's power pulse undefinable sound may just have what it takes with the right push. Contact got everyone going and JSB just brought the house down- truly impressive.

I like what people were saying about the 'insert jam here' approach though. I think we just need to explode the 'jam' genre once and for all- as long as that is the best label to apply all of these bands won't get the due they deserve.

you got it.

only musicians and music lovers (not song lovers) tend to understand jamming.

the trick is pushing the bands to write better, play better, live better, and love better. they need our support when we can give it.

positive encouragement and sound comments.

we need to be honest and supportive. by having the best time we can...the more we dance and party, the more everybody else does that's not in the scene...

lead by example, people.