briguy

KIDP & PJC

presents

Tony Furtado Band

Pepper Jack Cafe, July 29

38 King William St. Hamilton

tonyfurtado.com, pepperjackcafe.com

Advance Tickets

A former Grand National banjo champion, Furtado started playing the banjo at about 12 years of age; by the time he was 19, he had established himself as a gifted musician. His tours have included stints with the likes of Gregg Allman, Taj Mahal, Alison Krauss, Derek Trucks, Eric Johnson, String Cheese Incident, David Grisman, Galactic, Leftover Salmon and Widespread Panic, a list that gives a good indication of his stylistic range.

tonyweb_1030376481.jpg

jambase.com 9/8/2004

A talented multi-instrumentalist, cross-pollinating rambler, and budding songwriter, Tony Furtado is an eclectic musician with a knack for mining musical gold from the American folk tradition while also incorporating the best of contemporary rock music. He's lived in Washington D.C. and Boulder, Colorado as well as in a few different cities scattered across his home state of California, and his accomplishments include winning the Grand National Banjo Championship twice(1987 and 1991) and recording with roots luminaries such as Alison Krauss, Laurie Lewis, Jerry Douglas, Grant Street, David Grier, Tony Trischka, Mark Schatz, and Kelly Joe Phelps. Tony's 15-year recording history includes a variety of studio efforts (Swamped, Within Reach, Full Circle, Roll My Blues Away, American Gypsy) and two live releases (Tony Furtado Kelly Joe Phelps Band and Live Gypsy) as well as a freshly minted songwriting/vocal debut titled These Chains (see TonyFurtado.com). He now resides in Los Angeles, where he recently participated (along with Keith Richards, Lucinda Williams, and a host of others) in A Tribute to Gram Parsons, a live homage to the late father of the alt-country tradition. The tribute shows played to full audiences at the Universal Amphitheatre in July.

Read more at jambase.com

tonyfurtado.com

Edited by Guest

Yes, most definitely in agreement with Cully. For those of you thinking about this, don't think, JUST GO!!!

My parents were the ones who suprisingly introduced me to Tony when one of their stockig stuffers a few X-Mas's ago was his "American Gypsy" CD. When I pulled it out I didn't know who this guy was or what it would be like because the cover itself had very X-Mas kind of colours on it. But I threw it in the CD player and was blown away that this music was so great and that my folks had stumbled upon this.

GO SEE TONY!!! He's GREEEEEEEAAAAAAT!

Saw Tony and his band play down in Hood River, Oregon last 4th of July and had a blast. The live stuff doesn't stray too far from the album cuts but they are great songs, instrumentally and lyrically speaking. I would highly recommend picking up "Tony Furtado and the American Gypsies, Live" as it is a good indication of what you'll be getting yourself into. He is a really nice, down to earth guy if you get a chance to talk to him...This show will be worth whatever the ticket price will be..Enjoy! I hope to see him out West some day.

• 3 weeks later...

Furtado_Jambands.jpg

Thought some of you might want to read this article I found.

An Addictive Musical Experience With Tony Furtado

by Jay Mouton

June 17, 2005

I’m always amazed at how much music there is out here that I’ve not heard, or heard about. And, so it was with the Tony Furtado performance Thursday evening at Riverbend, 2005. I truly admire the talent and practice involved in the quest for mastery of the acoustic guitar, and Furtado comes about as close to mastery as I’ve heard. His dexterity and skill is not restricted to the acoustic, but it certainly shines in the brilliance of his performance.

I don’t write about every band I hear at Riverbend. I try to restrict my meandering for those acts that I actually feel transcend the average. I’m not knocking average. Thousands of nightclubs and bars throughout our country would be lonely, soundless liquor swills if not for the presence of average bands and performers everywhere. But when we catch a performer that we perceive as breaking up and away from average, we like to share that find with others. Tony Furtado has made that break and I’m compelled to share.

Somewhere, apparently rather deeply buried, in my mind I’m sure I’ve heard Furtado’s name. Perhaps a music magazine, a fleeting comment at a party, a marquee strategically situated along the vast highways and byways of this expansive nation? I simply don’t remember where, but I’m sure I’ve heard his name. When my eyes first perused his name I had a caul of déjà vu’ descend over my being, so understand I had to check the guy out.

Unassuming in look and demeanor was my first thought when I walked under the Budweiser tent and set eyes upon Furtado. I had that gut feeling I was going to like this guy’s show from jump, but I still did a double take when it was apparent that I was about to listen to a 3-piece band. As one who has spent time listening to and playing in bands, I know that the 3-piece band is that most difficult of melodic entities to excel within. The bottom line seems that 3-piece bands are unusually superb, or unremittingly bad. My pique peaked.

Furtado and his band opened with the coolest cover variation of standard Stagger Lee that I’ve ever heard, and I’ve heard dozens. Furtado played this on acoustic guitar and set the pace for his blend of finger picking and flat picking throughout his set. Not only was I immediately impressed with the virtuosity of his guitar skills, the man possesses an exceedingly pleasing voice. But wait, there’s more.

In any triad three elements must be present in order for purity of form. Furtado’s back-up musicians for the show were perfect fits. Bass player phenomenon Myron Dove (of Santana) and drummer Darian Gray (of Curvature) fused seamlessly with each other and Furtado. Unlike bands with four, five, and more musicians there is never a moment for laxity in one’s performance in a 3-piece band. If one musician is absent in any pertinent moment, the bottom falls out — period. If any one in the trio had fallen short of their shared desired goals in performance, the triad would have been corrupted and diminished — that did not happen.

During the show Furtado flitted from instrument to instrument, like an insomniac savant. Furtado’s precision on banjo, his first instrument, impressive, his taste and exuberance with electric guitar, evident, and his expertise picking and plucking the acoustic, impressive. His string work on his song Saint John’s Fire was in a word, impeccable. Gray and Dove’s contributions, flawlessly delivered note by note, were superlative in the most literal sense of the word.

While Furtado’s show suffered a blown fuse in some aspect of the amplification system, Tony didn’t skip a note. He simply picked up his acoustic again and played another song, and, while the techies worked around him, the show went on. In short order the glitch was fixed and the band back on stage. The lead guitarist from another Riverbend act, Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi All Stars, joined Furtado and crew and kicked some musical butt on a ripping slide guitar jam with Furtado. Again, the audience went ballistic. I might add that Furtado’s audience numbered several hundred — the largest number of souls I’ve encountered under the Budweiser tent at any of the shows I’ve attended.

Living in a country full of William Hungs singing She Bangs in thousands of Karaoke bars, albeit having a blast, it’s always pleasing to hear the real thing. I highly recommend Tony Furtado to anyone with a quest for addictive musical experiences.

totally amazing... had me captivated the entire evening... totally relaxed but 100% professional, an obvious natural at every instrument he plays... makes it look effortless, even when he's totally rippin it apart

was really impressed as well by the bass player who got asked to play only the night before the show(the Santana guy couldn't get across the border I believe)... he stayed up late learning the material and was not only on but fit like a well worn glove (Mike 'somebody' from Toronto, session player)... before I found that out I thought for sure he had been with the band for at least the whole tour

TonyFurtado_PJC_2005_01.jpg

TonyFurtado_PJC_2005_02.jpg

TonyFurtado_PJC_2005_03.jpg

TonyFurtado_PJC_2005_05.jpg

thought Caution Jam really laid down a solid set as well... loose and welcoming, perfect groove to start such a night

CautionJam_PJC_2005_07_29b.jpg

CautionJam_PJC_2005_07_29.jpg