Jambands.ca

3-28-06: Question/Debate Of The Day

MarcO

this place would be fine and dandy, and this thread probably wouldnt even exist, if many people were capable of mature discussion and would keep their negative energy for themselves to bask in, regardless of the thread, the poster, the band your about to say sucks, the person you're about to ridicule/insult/wish death upon, etc etc.

in short, the word is respect. and it doesnt cease to exist because you're face to monitor, not face to face.

I have to ask guigsy, are you referring specifically to the recent Dima-related shit that went down? I read those threads pretty avidly but I'm pretty sure I didn't leave any comments. The way I see that whole situation - and many other soured discussions/arguments I've seen unfold on this board over the last little while - is that there is often a few people or a group who know each other well in the real world, and a series of comments are tossed around that they all understand are in jest. Then one of those people, or perhaps somebody who has met a few of them but doesn't really know them, or perhaps somebody who hasn't met ANY of them and is taking the conversation at face value, hurls a real insult and things explode from there. Half of the original folks still think it's all a big joke, new people join in with ugly things to say, and it deteriorates from there.

Respect is big, for sure, but I also think a big part of it is remembering that the board isn't just a document of conversations with friends and a few acquaintances. I have met a lot of people on this board - enough that I could probably attend any So-On show and run into people I know from the skank - but when I sit down to think of how many handles to which I've never put faces, that number is astounding. This board is a literally like a big cavern - we're all sort of meandering around in and out of different conversations. If there's a group of old friends in the corner being obnoxious, screaming out a bunch of loud insults at each other, it doesn't matter if it's in jest: some of us are going to creep closer and watch, a few might join in, but most of us are going to slowly creep towards the door and eventually leave. Of course there is still room for those kinds of conversations, but with the knowledge firmly in mind that everybody in the room can hear you, and not everybody knows what you're talking about.

Anyway, I'd say I'm at about 30-40%. I don't know if I consciously avoid a thread because of the author, but I guess I'll avoid a title that doesn't sound interesting. That's why my thread titles are always so damn long, I try to be really clear so people can avoid if they don't care, or open if they think they would care. As for content on the board...I don't know, I feel that this is still a place that I can come and blabber on about a particular band or artist or album or song that has blown my mind that day or week, regardless of the genre. Sometimes the threads sink like stones, and other times there are some replies, that's just how it is. I guess it kind-of deters me from posting more of that stuff if nobody replies, but I don't seem to be slowing down, so maybe I don't care.

As for politics...I would read and sometimes get involved in those threads when they were in the Cavern, but I haven't once ventured over to the new forum. So I guess that's an argument for the abolishment of that forum. I don't think of myself as having great interest in politics, but as Marco implied, politics do not exist in a vaccuum, and often spark debate on all manners of social and moral issues, so that's discussion that I'd be taking part in that I'm not now. Am I an idiot because the discussion is only an extra click away? I don't think so. It's not the kind of thing I'll seek out, but if somebody brings it up and I have an opinion and a few minutes to type a response, I'll do it.

I have to say though, I very rarely open a QOTD thread unless it appears to have a lot of responses. Don't know why, maybe it's the lack of eye-grabbing topic.

I have to ask guigsy, are you referring specifically to the recent Dima-related sh!t that went down?

nope. just how i've been feeling about the board in general lately.

i chose not to answer how many threads i open or participate in, or whatever, because i think it's irrelevant - what is relevant is why i dont open more, or dont participate more. i sure would, but more and more im discouraged and disheartened by this board.

I'm all for scrapping the politics forum if it's killing so many people's interest.

There are a lot of times I think, the Sanctuary sucks this week. Then there are weeks like this when synchronicity shines on an otherwise boring Tuesday. Our network was down at work so we had the afternoon off... headed to a bar with bouche, FreakByNight and our friend Randy from work... out-of-town Blane (whom I'd never met before) happened to walk by our window seat and joined the party... then just as Blane lamented that he hadn't seen Andre in a long while, who should walk by the window but fucking Andre and Lynn!

What does this mean? I don't know. But I love this place.

I have to ask guigsy, are you referring specifically to the recent Dima-related sh!t that went down?

nope. just how i've been feeling about the board in general lately.

i chose not to answer how many threads i open or participate in, or whatever, because i think it's irrelevant - what is relevant is why i dont open more, or dont participate more. i sure would, but more and more im discouraged and disheartened by this board.

before i found this place, i was a rec.music.gdead reader/occasional poster. i eventually lost interest due to the nonsensical turn that most discussions took...ad hominem attacks spurred on by the sense of anonymity that you get from never having to deal with these people in public.

flip to this place...people actaully look forward to seeing one another in real life, and mostly treat each other well. the meatspace component to this community is what i realy like about it. i can go to a show and be pretty sure that i will meet some cool folks there who i may already have something in common with...

i think that this place is cyclical, and there are some days where i pop in for a minute and suddenly it's an hour and a half later and i know some new stuff, or know about an upcoming show. maybe this is a wave trough. the fact that lots of people have chimed in makes me think that people do seem to care...

Question: Roughly what percentage of threads on the board do you actually open and look at?

I'm currently operating at about 20%. I'd say I ignore (don't even bother to open) about 4 out of 5 topics based simply on the topic and/or the author involved.

That makes for some pretty slim pickings as of late (say, the last 6 months or so).

Debate: As an aside, I personally regret the creation of a separate politcal forum. It makes this main page far less interesting and hides away some of those discussions to the detriment of the board. Sports, I can understand, as that is a parallel obsession that unfolds constantly. Politics has more of an ebb and flow to it and otherwise compelling discussions based on social or moral concerns have the potential to languish in the mini-forum. Discuss.

You're all invited to create interesting topics. Right here and right now. Use the internet, find stuff and share it with me and everyone else.

Go see a show and write about it. Buy a camera and take some photos. Use Flickr to host your images.

The politics forum...if you liked all of the political talk, then visit the forum and participate in those posts. That's the point of it. Those political posts were getting lost in the cavern.

I'm actually quite impressed with the way the political forum worked out. It's quite active.

I usually check out about 20% of the Cavern, plus 75% of the politics and bittorrent posts. I'd be all for shutting down the political forum too as it seems to limit the number of people participating in those threads, even if it does make them easier to find. And as Birdy pointed out, it's difficult to define what is political and what isn't. I question the use of the east and west forums too. It seems like they're used so infrequently that the threads there might see a little more action if folded into the main Cavern.

I usually check out about 20% of the Cavern, plus 75% of the politics and bittorrent posts. I'd be all for shutting down the political forum too as it seems to limit the number of people participating in those threads, even if it does make them easier to find. And as Birdy pointed out, it's difficult to define what is political and what isn't. I question the use of the east and west forums too. It seems like they're used so infrequently that the threads there might see a little more action if folded into the main Cavern.

A long time ago, there were complaints from east and westies that the cavern was too localized. That's what prompted the creation of the other forums.

Getting people to post from the east and west in those forums can't be done from Ontario or Quebec. It's all about you guys on those coasts to share the link and get people posting about things related to your area.

Mind you, I completely FOR merging the caverns back into one. However, what does someone on the west coast care about a show happening in Ottawa, or the Gyro someone had at Greco's in Halifax? (maybe velvet and Rubberdinghy do).

Common threads that become very popular have to be taken out of the big glob that is the Cavern because they really need their own home to be cuddled and grown to fully formed categories. Nothing would change for the better if there was just one forum for everything. I'm all about growing and change via baby steps. This forum has been running for many years and I am well aware of what topics can be grouped together and I have also taken suggestions to make that happen.

IMO, the political forum is a great place to talk politics. If you want to get involved in that, please take advantage of that forum.

Who here is glad that the sports talk is now in a sports forum, and any geek gaming talk has it's own home? It's not all that easy to segregate interests, but it is necessary to keep things manageable.

Cripes, I came back home from a day disconnected from the internet and I had 3 pages in the Cavern to catch up on WITHOUT political posts, sports posts, food or gaming to deal with.

I don't know how much of the Cavern I read.. Whatever grabs me from the subject line and also I'm a big user of putting your cursor over the subject and seeing the first 10 words or so. (best message board feature ever!)

Theres always lulls and then high times around here, its normal. I haven't cared to pay any attention to the arguments going on the past few months.

I tried to get the OiNK forum going, but no one was as into it as me. }:(}:(}:(

Fooodeze forum is intriguing.

Common threads that become very popular have to be taken out of the big glob that is the Cavern because they really need their own home to be cuddled and grown to fully formed categories. Nothing would change for the better if there was just one forum for everything.

This is an argument I just can't wrap my head around. I find this strangely hard to understand.

As for changing for the better, I can't remember ever saying to myself: "Geez, I wish the sanctuary did THIS instead of THAT."

I sure do miss the old style board.

Yeah, I kind of forgot that there was a political forum as well. Which is too bad, because I am sure that I have missed out on many discussions that would have been of interest to me.

Yet many of the threads that end up in the cavern seem political in nature to me. I personally don't see the point of making a distinction...