Jambands.ca

Two turntables...

CyberHippie

So last week I was at my friend's DJ studio, where every week we have a table hockey league going. I got bumped out of the playoffs, suddenly found myself behind the decks and was told to have att'r. I literally had 100's if not 1000's of records to work with. I'd never worked the deck before so it was all pretty new to me. But I began a 5 hour DJ session spinning a myriad of afro-beat, rare groove, funk, soul and a twist of classic house. I didn't know most of the music but I had a idea of what to expect and couldn't pull the wrong record. I was even scratching and doing some wild builds and transistions between decks. Man it was awesome!

Some of the people there were freaking out. Including the guy who's studio it is, he'd never heard some of those tracks before :D.

Man what a rush, all I can think about is buying vinyl.

Who's got my heady DJ gig?

Anyone else sucumbed to the black crack?

Anyone else sucumbed to the black crack?

I love the vinyl, although its been awhile since I pulled any of it out (maybe 8-10 years). I have a Marantz TT140 (pretty low end though) but it needs some servicing to get it back in action. Although, after a evening at Willy's listening to some old vinyl, I'm sorta itchin to get it going again.

What kind of turntable?

I picked up a Pro-Ject RPM 5. It was a toss up between that and a Rega P3 but after listening to a selection of music on each of them we decided to go with the Pro-Ject. I've got an Ortofon 540 MK II cartridge on it right now that seems to do the trick.

What Pro-Ject did you pick up?

tech 12's are the only way to go if you plan to be gigging out...reason being: they're industry standard...otherwise you'll be used to playing on your decks and have a bit of a learning curve at the club/party/venue when trying to beat match on something that feels and responds differently...but for a bedroom DJ, TPG is right, there are lots of options...

yo willister, if i ever get around to grabbin that amp and those cables from esau you should come up and have a listen to the set up i have, it's perty sweet. you'd probably really love the old school entertainment centre i have that comes complete with built in tuner, record player and reel to reel recorder. it does karaoke old school.

yo willister, if i ever get around to grabbin that amp and those cables from esau you should come up and have a listen to the set up i have, it's perty sweet.

I'll try to remember it next time I'm coming by, I had it all ready to bring over last weekend and completely spaced.

I actually saw a guy at moe.down one year, in the taper's section, with a wax cylinder recorder, big brass horn, wind-up crank and all. IIRC, it was a couple of guys who are trying to resurrect the technology, which isn't easy; the key, apparently, was the wax mix.

Aloha,

Brad

Recorded my set last night. I'll have one 80min disc with the compilation that I wanted to play out, and then a companion "B side" disc with some cool tunes, mixes etc. It sounded great live, can't wait to hear the playback.

I wonder what's the best way to track it?

Incidently it was 1200's that I was using. Sweet machines!