Jambands.ca

BEER!!

ollie

Beer is food right?

I picked up a couple of new beers this week.

Right now I'm having a Taps Lager from Niagara-On-The-Lake. Like most beers from new, smaller breweries it has quality control issues. It's not balanced at all. That might be a result of their system, they way it's shipped or the way it's stored once it's shipped. There's a quite an "off" fruity quality to this beer.

This might taste great from the brewery tap, and maybe I just got a bad batch, but I won't be buying this one again.

premium_bottle.jpg

Next review after I finish this bottle.

Have you tried the Scotch-Irish Sgt. Major IPA, ollie? IIRC, it's available at the LCBO at Rideau & King Edward, and if you like IPAs, it's wonderful. (Note to those who aren't familiar with the "IPA" style of beer: Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is not representative of the style. A British or American IPA is maltier, and a lot more bitter, due to having a lot more hops.)

Aloha,

Brad

St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is my favourite beer of the moment. McAuslan is one of the few micro's that NB Liquor stocks (hell, we don't even get a full line of Propeller or Garrison from Nova Scotia here). They have St. Ambroise on tap at Doc Dylan's, where I play my regular solo gig.

stout.jpg

It is very close to good ol' No. 9 (one of my fav's too). Unfortunately NBLC doesn't stock the McAuslan Apricot Wheat either.

If anybody is looking for Xmas gift ideas for their favourite New Brunswicker, please send some tasty micro-brews... ;)

And more BEER talk please!

I brought back some beer from Boston last weekend, haven't touched any of it yet, but wondering if anyone has tried them and has opinions...

Cisco Brewers, Nantucket - Whale's Tale Pale Ale

Cisco Brewers, Nantucket - Bailey's Ale

Berkshire Brewing Co - Lost Sailor India Pale Ale

Harpoon Brewery, Boston MA and Windsor VT - Frankenfest Lager (single batch limited edition)

Smuttynose Brewing Co, Portsmouth NH - Portsmouth Lager

Wanna drink them all!!!

I love some of the beers the Kingston Brew Pub brews. White Tale is one of the best beers I've ever had. Dragon's Breath (available at some liquor stores) isn't bad. They also have some nice darker ales, but it's all about White Tale. I believe Davey Boy has polished off a keg of the stuff at one sitting on a number of occassions.

where does someone buy yummy beers in ottawa? is there a specialty store?

i've been sorely disappointed with the beers that are sold out here (ie. beer store). it's so close to my house but i always end up with guinness.

i can't drink lager.

want some yummy microbrews...hoppy, dark, or smooth. where can i buy?

where does someone buy yummy beers in ottawa?

You can buy beer at two places in Ottawa: The Beer Store and the LCBO. The quality of selection will depend on location.

The biggest LCBO, and I assume best selection, is at King Edward and Rideau.

A Beer Store with good selection is the one on Scott St., near Holland. It's also the kind where you get to pick your own beer versus ordering it, so there's more opportunity for browsing.

Actually, you could cruise on over to Hull for a 3rd option. There's a depanneur at Victoria and Laval that has a good selection of Quebec microbrews.

• 2 weeks later...

On a whim, I picked up a six-pack of Tankhouse Ale, from Toronto's Mill St. Brerery. It's really good, and I think it'd qualify as a good IPA (it's a bit maltier than what I think an IPA should be, being almost a copper or red ale).

Mill Street Tankhouse Ale is a deliciously complex and spicy ale. We use a staggering amount of hops and five different malts to produce a rich, fiery pale ale, copper-red in colour, and truly satisfying in flavour.

(Well, if you've had some of the American micro-brewery IPAs, the amount of hops in Tankhouse Ale might not stagger you, but if you think Alexander Keith's typifies the IPA style, you might be taken aback by this beer.)

Their Coffee Porter (made with actual coffee beans) sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to commit to a six-pack. It also looks like their beers are only available in Toronto and surrounding areas. :(

Aloha,

Brad