Jambands.ca

Panhadler stabs 2 in front of my apartment last night!

The Chameleon

So I was coming home from rehearsal last night (after 12am) and I heard some screaming and when I went inside my apartment from outside the window I could see police cruisers, police tape and general rukus. The police had closed down Queen right by Trinity Bellwoods.

Turn out that 2 men where stabbed in a confrontation involving a panhandler. Apparently a panhandler approached a man and a scuffle ensued and the panhandler stabbed two people. One of the victims is now on life support.

My question is what should Toronto do about panhandling? It is a problem and getting worse. They are everywhere downtown and getting more agressive.

I am torn by the whole thing. One the one hand I feel for people down and out that truly need some help and whatever they can get to get by.

On the other hand it is an intrusive practice that is often abused and creates safety issues and makes the city look bad in general.

In my Travels (in developed countries) Toronto has the worst homeless and panhadeling problem I have seen.

What should be done? .......your view?

Edited by Guest

most panhandlers don't stab people without cause or fear... known lots for years, not far off from being one really (sadly yes, more devil music please)

sounds like a grudge (fake panhandler)... or self defense... or mental illness

all I know is panhandlers ain't the problem... those're just sadder and less pissed off than most of us... bad capitalists (almost bad as me)

crazy can scare me, Booche can scare me, desperate can scare me but down on one's luck isn't scary, just sad, empty, and confusing.. kind that stab themselves before some random (usually, Saddam made it off the streets just fine... but then he read books)

Edited by Guest
no

My question is what should Toronto do about panhadling? It is a problem and getting worse. They are everywhere downtown and getting more agressive.

Do you have professional panhandlers in Toronto? Over the last year in Ottawa they've sprung up all over the downtown core, peddling donations for the likes of the Red Cross, Greenpeace and Amnesty International. To me they're just another stranger asking for money. That they are allowed to ply their trade this way while our mayor calls the homeless "pigeons" is the height of hypocrisy.

Work camps.

Employ them to police the grounds of the blues festival, ensuring that chairs are restricted to only those areas where they're explicitly allowed. If some kind of small fine ($1, say) were levied for violations (with maybe a first-time waiving of the fine, using an issued ticket or something), they might be able to make enough money to support themselves for most of the rest of the year...

Aloha,

Brad

i don't think it's the same activity at all. with the non-profits and charities you're getting knowledgeable people doing a job, talking to people about donating to a cause. with homeless / panhandlers, you get the scruffy sort that can easily intimidate and turn people off. and you have no idea where the money is going, if that is important to you.

i'm not saying one is more important or better than the other

sure the end goal is the same, to hand over money, but i hardly think the activity is the same.

and i'm mr. smartyshorts today, thankyouverymuch

i don't think it's the same activity at all. with the non-profits and charities you're getting knowledgeable people doing a job, talking to people about donating to a cause. with homeless / panhandlers, you get the scruffy sort that can easily intimidate and turn people off. and you have no idea where the money is going, if that is important to you.

I think this applies to both entities.