Jambands.ca

digital camera

The D Funk

the canon powershot SD's are a good series of cameras. I have an old SD600 and it took a licking and kept on ticking while backpacking around wiht it. It takes great pictures as well...I bot it about two years ago so I am sure the quality has just improved. I recommend the SD series because it doesn't take batteries, it uses a lithium battery and charger....

thats not the only difference i have done my research and it looks like the canon sd 950 is, is the best one they got out now, apparently the three new models dont have as nice and easy controls but who knows!!!

Canon cameras are actually hackable, which can unlock features that may be listed as unavailable on certain models:

http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-point+and+shoot-into-a-super+camera

Aloha,

Brad

ive always been of the mindset that its better to spend money on a better lens and on a brand name known for photography than to spend on bells and whistles. now, how to apply that approach given the hundreds of cameras out there, that's the issue.

ive had a small kodak digicam for years now and am still going strong with well over 25,000 pics taken. the only thing i'd have liked is if it took better low light pics, and if it was faster between shots (I have to wait sometimes). i also find the dock invaluable.

If you're using your camera to do nothing more than takes pics to put on facebook and stuff like that, I don't see the point in spending more than $100.

Phorbesie has an Olympus. I have a similar model. I think my next camera will be a Nikon though.

Here's one a bit cheaper, but a private sale:

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-CANON-SD-950-IS-12-1-mp-CAMERA-W0QQAdIdZ50522029

I'm looking at getting a new camera too. I have an older Canon, but am ready to upgrade to something smaller, yet still takes great shots (which mine no longer does on a regular basis). That 870 is looking pretty damn good.

i have the sd 800 and love it. it takes great shots. i like the fact it has a viewfinder especially because i shoot a lot of outdoor pics. my only complaint is the when the battery icon flashes you have maybe three more shots, compared to sony where it tells you exactly how many minutes you have.

• 2 weeks later...

basically you are looking at the Class rating on SD cards. The higher the class rating, the faster the memory is, and more suitable for higher bandwidth (Megabytes per second) applications. I believe a Class 6 SD card is suitable for HD full motion video transfer with no lag.

SDHC Ultra - Class 2 - 2 MB/sec

SDHC Ultra II - Class 4 - 4 MB/sec

SDHC Ultra III - Class 6 - 6 MB/sec

I've purchased only Class 6 cards recently for my nikons. YOu can get good deals, but you should be fine with Ultra II.

Thanks for the details. I did go with the Class 4. Charging up the batt right now. Should be good to go by the time i'm outta work. Should keep me occupied on the GO Train ride home :)

Oh yea, and i'm definitely going to use that 'hack' that was posted as well. Looks cool:

http://lifehacker.com/387380/turn-your-point+and+shoot-into-a-super+camera

Edited by Guest