Jambands.ca

so what time is the world supposed to end tomorrow?

phishtaper

i guess looting wasn't such a good idea afterall.

Heh, maybe not. But this one was:

Some of the ventures hawking post-rapture services don't pretend to be operated by believers. Eternal Earth-Bound Pets, which promises to care for pets left behind, is run by avowed atheists.

"Is this a joke?" That's question No. 1 on the site's list of frequently asked questions.

"No" is the answer. "This is a serious offer to our Christian friends who believe in the Second Coming and honestly care about the future of their pets after the Rapture occurs."

Bart Centre, the New Hampshire retiree who runs Eternal Earth-Bound Pets, said he simply wants to make a buck.

"I saw dollar signs, because no one has more pets per capita and more rapture-believing Christians than the good old U.S.A.," he said

[...]

Centre said inquiries picked up in recent months based on predictions by evangelical radio broadcaster Harold Camping that the rapture will take place Saturday, leading him to boost his basic rate from $110 to $135. For that fee, his crews will retrieve and care for one household pet post-rapture, if it occurs within 10 years of payment.

This, however, was not:

The end is nigh, insists Robert Fitzpatrick.

And he's put his money where his mouth is. If the world doesn't end on May 21, one week from tomorrow, he'll have wasted more than $140,000 on bus and subway advertising.

The 60-year-old Staten Island resident, a retired MTA employee, says he's spent at least that sum -- his life savings -- on 1,000 subway-car placards, and even more ads on bus kiosks and subway cars. They say: "Global Earthquake: The Greatest Ever! Judgment Day May 21, 2011."

"Camping's predictions have inspired other groups to rally behind the May 21 date. People have quit their jobs and left their families to get the message out.

"Knowing the date of the end of the world changes all your future plans," says 27-year-old Adrienne Martinez.

She thought she'd go to medical school, until she began tuning in to Family Radio. She and her husband, Joel, lived and worked in New York City. But a year ago, they decided they wanted to spend their remaining time on Earth with their infant daughter.

"My mentality was, why are we going to work for more money? It just seemed kind of greedy to me. And unnecessary," she says.

And so, her husband adds, "God just made it possible — he opened doors. He allowed us to quit our jobs, and we just moved, and here we are."

Now they are in Orlando, in a rented house, passing out tracts and reading the Bible. Their daughter is 2 years old, and their second child is due in June. Joel says they're spending the last of their savings. They don't see a need for one more dollar.

"You know, you think about retirement and stuff like that," he says. "What's the point of having some money just sitting there?"

"We budgeted everything so that, on May 21, we won't have anything left," Adrienne adds.

Nothing, except for the fervent hope that all of them will be raptured." -snippet from NPR story.

Thats just so sad. I wonder how many peoples lives have been trashed by this fanatical BS...though I notice going through stories like this that instead of 'giving' their money away to the poor bastards they know will be left behind, the popular choice seems to be to spend every last f'ing penny on themselves...hmmmmmm....classy and crazy.

Edited by Guest

instead of 'giving' their money away to the poor bastards they know will be left behind, the popular choice seems to be to spend every last f'ing penny on themselves

That's it, in a nutshell. I feel so sorry for the kids in this case (and to be sure in way too many others) whose parents and subjected them to this future, but this is exactly the kind of self-indulgence that rots Christianity from within.

I liked this piece that went up a few days ago on HuffPost - thought it nailed it pretty well. Desiring the End of the World

For the love of...Camping now says that May 21rst was a 'silent judgement day'

This was one of my thoughts on the day itself - hell, maybe the rapture did happen, but nobody was 'good' enough, so we just never noticed and it was business as usual. But I was kinda sorta hoping that Camping would never be seen from again .. after all his offices were closed and nobody could reach him on phone .. like, maybe, just maybe, only Camping ascended :laugh: Alas, he is stuck down here with the rest of us schmucks.