Jambands.ca

Q of the Day: Final "Friends" - Do You Care?

MarcO

Tonight, this gift to the world from the American cultural machine winds up 10 years of proud service. Me, I could never get into it. I gave it a good honest try a few times over the years, as people I really respect - friends and writers - suggested it was better than it seemed but I never saw it's worth. In the end, I think I could never get past the actors themselves: I can't stand any of them (esp Jennifer Aniston, grrrrr.....). So smug and self-important.

So, this wasn't meant to be a rant, just an observation on what seems to be an important event (in it's proper context) for millions of people but means less than nothing to me.

Your thoughts?

Finish it already!!!

I've never watched it (my brother does, and likes it, and we have similar tastes in a lot of areas, but "Friends" never really worked for me), and don't really care about it ending (well, they're not showing any new episodes...but it'll still be on in re-runs and syndication, so what's "ending"?), but I've been enormously p!ssed off at the all the attention (on CNN, CNBC, NBC, ET, TV Guide, and on and on) the last episode is getting; it seems like every time I turn on the TV, somebody is going on and on about the last episode, and it's been going on and on for weeks now, so much that I'd swear the last episode has already run...sadly, this is not the case...

This has gone beyond fascination and strayed into fetishism. It's just a sitcom (well, with a bit of soap opera thrown in), people, and it's had a good run. Let it die. Quietly.

Aloha,

Brad

Poo Poo to all of you!!!

Friends was good for many laughs. I watched the last episode of Seinfeld(as disappointing as it was) and I will(probably) watch the last of Friends too. I do agree that they've hyped it up WAY too much but I'm sure it will be good for a few laughs(and maybe a cry) Hahahahahahahahaha

::

la la la

"millions will be watching"

making a point of not ending up in any bar its playing in... have sat through episodes and have enjoyed some but have never thought once "oh shit, Friends is on!"

general indifference

(sorry Super Freak, that wasn't directed at you... just mon opinion on the matter)

I've had a few good laughs at that show in the past, Joey probably being the cause for most of them, but I grew tired of that show years ago. I have no idea what's going on anymore, nor do I care. I can't see how I'd be seeing the finally, unless it was by accident.

" Do I care "? Hell yes! I can't wait for the Friends spin-off show " Joey to start airing in the Friends time-slot next fall.

I'd say lay off the drugs..but I know better,so I'll assume thats sarcasm. ::

" Do I care "? Hell yes! I can't wait for the Friends spin-off show " Joey to start airing in the Friends time-slot next fall.

This raises an interesting question: what successful sitcoms have had successful spin-offs?

For example, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" had "Rhoda" and "Lou Grant" as reasonably successful spin-offs (ISTR a less successful spin-off in "Phyllis"), and "Happy Days" had "Laverne and Shirley"* but others have fared less well:

"M*A*S*H" -> "After M*A*S*H"

"Barney Miller" -> "Fish"

If "Friends" has a spin-off, I don't predict much to be thought of it (much to be said of it, to be sure, but not much though...).

Aloha,

Brad

* No, I don't count "Mork and Mindy" as a spin-off from "Happy Days"...

In the end, I think I could never get past the actors themselves: I can't stand any of them (esp Jennifer Aniston, grrrrr.....). So smug and self-important.

How many times do Rachel and Ross need to get back together. It's so lame! I'm glad it's over.

I admit some episodes were funny. Like the ones with Courtney Cox in a fat suit dancing to disco. But that's about it....

Will there be a heart felt moment with the monkey and Russ or Ross (whatever) where he's saying goodbye crying and some sappy song is playing while all his "Phriends" are consuling(sp?) him?

And....

Theres was an "After Mash"?

Somtimes ya get lucky I guess and miss the 'Real' crap...whew!

As far as successfull spin offs go, are there even any other successfull sitcoms period? Seems to me like it's all crap. That 70's show is alright, but other than that all I watch is Survivor, Simpsons, and whatever Law & Order's I happen to catch...

TV sucks... It's only good for video games and dvd's... :)

This raises an interesting question: what successful sitcoms have had successful spin-offs?

For example, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" had "Rhoda" and "Lou Grant" as reasonably successful spin-offs (ISTR a less successful spin-off in "Phyllis"), and "Happy Days" had "Laverne and Shirley"* but others have fared less well:

"M*A*S*H" -> "After M*A*S*H"

"Barney Miller" -> "Fish"

If "Friends" has a spin-off, I don't predict much to be thought of it (much to be said of it, to be sure, but not much though...).

Aloha,

Brad

* No, I don't count "Mork and Mindy" as a spin-off from "Happy Days"...

The show with the best spin-offs ( and a few bad ones ) was All In The Family:

The Jeffersons

Maud

Archie Bunkers Place

Gloria

704 Hauser Street

As far as successfull spin offs go, are there even any other successfull sitcoms period? Seems to me like it's all crap. That 70's show is alright, but other than that all I watch is Survivor, Simpsons, and whatever Law & Order's I happen to catch...

TV sucks... It's only good for video games and dvd's... :)

As far as sitcoms go, "Malcolm In The Middle" is pretty good IMO, and "Arrested Development" can get pretty twisted at times.

Aloha,

Brad

I haven't watched a new episode of Friends for years. I've seen some relatively new episodes in sindication late at night from time to time, but I have no idea what's going on anymore.

But for some strange reason I just might watch the last night of "Must see TV" on NBC that started with the likes of far greater shows like Cheers and Seinfeld. Just for the pop culture value of it.

"This raises an interesting question: what successful sitcoms have had successful spin-offs?"

You forgot I would guess is probably the most successful spin off* of all time!

Cheers -> Fraiser

I don't know for sure but I guess that it has almost as long a run as Cheers did (If not more...).

*Not to mention the non-sitcom spin offs. All the startrek shows for example/