Jambands.ca

Here's Your CTMF Pics w/ Review

secondtube

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow … what a weekend. I had an awesome time! Don’t even know where to begin, so I’ll start with a chronological approach …

I decided to make the trek up on Friday night without being fully packed. It’s an easy one hour drive to Izzy’s from my home, so I decided to head there for the night and then to come home and sleep in my own bed. Caught most of Cavern’s set, all of Tala, and then Jomomma’s set until it really started thundering and lightening and raining. I had never seen Cavern before and was pretty impressed with them … they can play … very Phishy at times.

Got home at around 2 a.m., and then was back at Izzy’s by 11 a.m. Dave Scully and I ended up being the first act on the Beach Stage on Saturday afternoon … what a nice stage setup! If it was a hot, sunny day I’m sure more people would have made it down to that stage all weekend. It was a treat to play outside … I haven’t really done much of that before and it was a good experience. Once we were done … party time … now the weekend festivities could begin for me … no more responsibility, no more driving!

The Saturday night highlight for me was That One Guy. Wow!!! I’ve got to believe that most anybody would dig what that guy does! I highly recommend checking him out over the next few days if you can. I was also very impressed with Guesthouse (this band keeps getting better and better and wow can Walt play the guitar, even with an injured hand!) and with The New Shady Groove (some cool songs and danceable jams and grooves … this band is already really good and has a tremendous amount of potential … I look forward to seeing them again). And how about Burt Neilson on the Saturday afternoon … what a treat that was!

The Sunday night was absolutely amazing. Caution Jam tore it up, playing some great Dead tunes along with some other surprises, notably Manic Depression and Another Brick in the Wall (which I had a blast dancing to while thinking about teaching). Diesel Dog played some super-groovy songs and jams … I’m especially digging their new tune Dirt Road, and wow, what a jam in Fishing with the Skipper. And then The Jimmy Swift Band blew the roof right off the pavilion! I danced and danced and danced for Caution Jam and Diesel Dog, and before JSB started I wondered whether or not I’d have the energy to be able to continue dancing, but once they started playing there was no doubt that it was going to be an irresistible dance party. Lots of people getting down on Sunday night!!!

A friend of mine who has never been to a Come Together Fest said “I liked every band that I saw all weekend” and I agree with her totally. I was really impressed with the lineup this past weekend. I didn’t see everyone but the bands that I saw all played really well ... Superstack, Guerilla Funk Monster, The Resinators, Steve Murphy & Crazy Stickbird, Mark Wilson & The Way It Is, The SilverTones, and the Cosmic Boogie Band were bands that I saw and enjoyed, and I heard positive things about all of the other bands that I didn’t get a chance to check out. This festival had the widest range of music of any Come Together Fest that I’ve been to, and I really enjoyed that.

As for the venue … what a sweet spot! Sure it was really wet, and lots of people were camping on land that ended up under water, but it is a really nice venue, with the lakes, big trees, and relaxed security. I don’t understand why people wouldn’t like this venue. It’s clean, it’s big, it’s got water, shade, swimming, food, a big pavilion to gather under when it’s storming, clean toilets, etc. etc. I know it’s not Frontier Town, but when I look at Izzy’s from “the glass is half full instead of half empty perspective” I like what I see!

It was hard to tell how many people attended the event over the course of the weekend, as the rain sent some people home early and made it difficult for people to stay outside for too long, but I’d have to say it was well-attended, especially given the weather … comparable to other Come Together Fests I think. And for the most part people were having a great time. The weather did put a bit of a damper on things at times, and there was a sad “Shaker is cancelled” vibe that understandably surfaced from time to time, but on the whole, I saw lots of smiling faces over the course of the weekend.

Bravo to Mark Wilson for making this festival happen. This is year five for him running the Come Together Music Festivals, and he’s built things to a point where they are only going to get better and better. I am excited for the future of these events …

Peace, Mark

and before JSB started I wondered whether or not I’d have the energy to be able to continue dancing

and this guy has the most energy i have ever seen from anyone!! mark, you musta been on fire!!

i got a good chuckle there...

glad to see everyone had a great time... nice pics, folks who posted.

all in all another fantastic ctmf adventure! great music, great people, and izzy's is still a wonderful venue. the weather was a bit of a downer, as the excessive rain got kinda old after awhile (i think i had more sleep this ctmf than ever... hard to encourage yourself to get out of your tent when it's freakin' pouring! :: ), but the fun was still aplenty!

we did get a nice spell of sunshine on saturday afternoon -- prom day! -- which made for a few great games of prom dress badminton with my uber awesome partner in crime (and prom date), littlemiss pink, and overall recharged everyone.

the bands were great -- i unfortunately slept through that1guy, but seeing jimmy swift stomp the festival to smithereens more than made up for it. i danced my ASS off through their whole set, and had a chance to talk to the boys after the show, and they seem like truly nice and fun people. diesel dog was another highlight, and the marks (tonin and wilson) are always a delight.

as always, the people in attendance are the true highlight of any ctmf adventure, and this one was no different. great to party with some ctmf regulars, as well as some new folks. high fives to our great next-door (or would that be next lot? ;) ) neighbours, zephyr & co, and big hugs to the usual suspects, willy & leanne, newrider, mark tonin, tigger, chicken butta-kat, cinnamon-(coulda-been)sage :D, and of course, our own collection of k-w give'r. chase23, you made SUCH a great addition, really hope you'll make it out for canada day!

this ctmf also (interestingly, and slightly unfortunately), marked my first sketchy experience at the fest. very late one night, i had gone to my car alone to get something (my car being approximately 10' away from my tent and the rest of our campsite). i noticed someone off in the darkness watching me, and when i unlocked my car and opened the door, he came over.

"he" being a meathead looking guy, completely messed up on some drug or another (likely plenty of 'em), starts going off about "hey, that's my buddy's car", all stumbling and staggering, and overall, just out of it. i informed him that no, he was mistaken, it was in fact MY car (going so far as to start it for him -- although that apparently wasn't proof enough), to which he became extremely belligerent & rude (a la "like f$*# it is!"), barely able to form sentences, and wouldn't let up. i'm sorry, i may not be big enough to kick any meathead ass on my own, but you're a sorely mistaken jackass if you expect to be able to try and intimidate me. i have no patience for rude people (especially f$#*%ed up idiots who don't even belong at someplace as great as ctmf), so tired of arguing with this moron, i called our good friend schwa over.

and boy, is it ever AMAZING how quickly a jerkoff meathead's attitude can change when someone who quite obviously could pummel their ass into the ground appears on the scene. he still rambled on, not making a whole lot of sense (and furthering our collective opinion of his utter level of moronic idiocy), but suddenly the menacing attitude he was dishing out to me tapered off to a more neutral tone. although loser boy still wouldn't admit he was wrong. fortunately, his friends appeared at that moment (among them, the owner of the car he had mistaken mine for), and after telling him what an idiot he was and to leave us alone (to give you an idea -- "dude, that's not my car. my car is gold, this one is BLACK. my car is way over on the other side of the camp, let's go"), the funniest part of all, the guy STILL refused to admit he was wrong. whatever. his friends came up and apologized to me (which i did appreciate), and took idiot boy away with them.

the whole situation i guess was kinda funny, but i was left feeling a bit uneasy -- mostly because i don't know what it would have escalated to if schwa hadn't been around (huge hugs and kisses to you for saving the day, mang!) or his friends hadn't shown up. mainly though, i was angry this idiot had made me in any way feel unsafe. ctmf festivals have been NOTHING but "good vibes" all around in my experience, and i have felt nothing but safe wandering around - even alone - at any of them. i was -- and still am -- pissed this one idiot has made me even slightly question the safety of these fests, although i'm still quite faithful the vast majority of the people who attend are great folks indeed. i guess just travel in pairs ladies, and rest assured some good boys in earshot will step up and save the day, if need be. oh, and if you do have any meathead friends in your clan who get that fucked up, tie them up or something so they don't bother the rest of the festival goers. :)

fortunately, i'm not one to let something like that really wreck ANYTHING for me, so i can honestly say i am ten thousand percent pumped for the canada day fest!!!!!!!!! yeehaw.

big thanks to mark wilson and the bands and everyone who had a hand in putting this together, all in all a great weekend, and i can't wait for the next one!

:: :D :: :D

Internet has been down for a few days and didnt get to read this until now. What a deadly fucking weekend. Music was great. The partying was great. Lost stuff and found it the next day after buying more can be in for a pretty crazy weekend if ya know what i mean. :P Whoever said Jimmy swift came on and stomped the shit out of the festival WAS RIGHT. WOW what a great show. Deisel Dog, you guys kick my ass more and more every time. GREAT VIOLA LEE!!!!Caution Jam was best ive seen them in years, truly amazing! Mike form burt just topped the cake. Resinators were good saturday night aswelll, first time for me! Great weekend all around!!