Jambands.ca

Bonnaroo!

AD

Got back today around noon after a 24 drive (no wait to get out of the campground at noon yesterday; sounds like we were lucky). Felt really bad for the RV folks who had to get towed out of the mud puddles :: . It was MESSY after all the rain. Our camp got pretty rocked by the mud, as did my shoes. I donated them to the Bonnaroo gods as a peace offering on the way out of there...

Got to the site on Thursday morning about 10 am, waited in line for under an hour and got a pretty sweet campsite in camp Olive Oyl (all the camps were named after cartoon characters this year). Set up our 3 huge kitchen tents to make Fort Teethbrushing (named Thursday afternoon after finishing 2 and a half cases of beer for 9 people). Proceded to get smashed all day Thursday and bond with Camp New Jersey all around us. Saw a huge bust right beside us. Dudes set up a vending tent with big signs saying 'DMT, Mescaline, Peyote, Opium'. Real smart guys. They got kicked out after being there all of 10 hours and seeing zero bands.

Friday got up around 6, took advantage of the still free showers and proceded to get smashed while walking to the Centeroo to get good spots in This Tent for Calexico. They put on a great show, love the horns. The crowd was certainly digging them as well. Took off to the Which Stage for Yonder Mountain after that and saw my 3rd favourite set of the festival. The sun was out and scorching, but people still got down and had a wicked time. These guys are awesome. Second time seeing them and I won't miss them anytime they're near here. Then saw a bit of Patti Smith (her and Chris Robinson were separated at birth, from the pictures in the Beacon). Caught the beginning of Wilco, but the sun was killing me so I went and checked out Nellie Mackay in Another Tent. She's a 19-year-old piano player with some chops, but I think she was a bit overwhelmed by the audience.

This is where Friday got crazy. Dylan, SCI, Gillian Welch, Yo La Tengo, Chris Robinson and Mike Doughty were playing at roughly the same time. Started out with Dylan, thought he was extremely weak and without his crack band wouldn't be much of a performer anymore. (Sorry Dylan-heads, just my opinion). Saw a bit of SCI, they still don't really do it for me but they played solid for sure. HUGE crowd at the Which Stage for this, couldn't get anywhere close at all. Being a big Soul Coughing fan I checked out the last hour of Mike Doughty's set. HE played with another guitar player and a seldom-used drummer, but the set was great, lots of anti-Bush chatter, lots of funny stories, and great songs (including some rearranged Soul Coughing which was a treat). Got first row for Gillian Welch, but even with the proximity couldn't hear the instruments over SCI. She was obviously a little bit pissed as well, one point remarking 'Well, we only play acoustic instruments without pickups, so try to hear what we're doing over THAT (pointing at the stage for SCI). I was fed up with the sound-clash so I went and saw the rest of Yo La Tengo, who were good as always. I think they confused a lot of people with their three question and answer sessions, mid-set. I laughed though.

Got a good spot by the soundboard for Dave and was a little bit bored by the middle of the set, so I wandered away to the Centeroo for some beers and a nap before the night shows.

PRAXIS WAS AWESOME. 'Nuff said. I think Willy covered that show better than I could. Vida Blue was packed so I didn't see much of it, although I was living the horns from what I heard. Missed most of Umphrey's but did catch moe. and Umphrey's manager (?) playing Enter Sandman. That kicked ass. Saw Danger Mouse play as well and he's definitely got some wicked beats. The hip-hop crowd overflowed the tent and got down more than most of other dancers for the weekend.

Saturday: Nature was cruel. Walking the the venue, huge downpour, washing off all the sunscreen. 30 minutes later the sun is burning everyone to a crisp and it's so damn humid. Saw the Hackensaw Boys for the second time, they're pretty cool, lots of party songs for sure. GOt second row in the sun for Gomez, they suprised a lot of people with the double kick-drum attack I think, but I loved every minute of their show. Same songs played in Ottawa last Sunday, but a few different arrangements so that was cool. Del McCoury was excellent as always, played some more contemporary bluegrass which was new for me, I'm not really familiar with the current chart-toppers, but it was great. Sweet Cold Rain and Snow as well. Saw Beth Orton, for the second time as well, she's got way more confidence and stage-savvy since the first time when she opened for Beck. Caught the end of My Morning Jacket who must have huge neck problems from the old hair-swinging style of rocking... Jazz Mandolin sounded great with the trumpet player, sweet Zeppelin cover as well. Really upbeat and swinging set from them, Masefield can fucking play. Fishman was a solid (maybe even a bit boring?) drummer for this show. Then I got my mind blown by Doc Watson. This guy is 79, blind, and sounds like he's playing two guitars at once. By far the best flatpicker I've ever seen and ever will see, I'm sure. Once he started up everyone's jaw hit the floor. He seemed pretty humbled by the crowd's attention and cheers, and he played masterfully. After him I took off for the camp to relax and drink some beers while the Dead played.

Saturday night was insanity. The Dead started 2.5 hours late, leaving the crowd to get soaked in another rainstorm. They played a 45 minute first set then took a break, which really pissed off a lot of people that I talked to. These people waited for 2 and a half hours, got soaked again, and then the band is compelled to take a break after 45 minutes? Anyways, I got a decent spot for Ween (who started on-time). Loved the first part of the show, but there were other bands to see as well. Robert Randolph started off pretty slow (he's gotta stop playing the same freakin' thing for 30 minutes!!), but a nicely placed Zeppelin cover saved the show for me. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra played to about 30 people in a big tent, which was a shame because it was the best set I saw all weekend. These guys fucking smoke. Sooo tight, wicked horn section, very fast ska, and nice covers as well (Hit the Road, Jack dedicated to Ray Charles, The Look of Love, etc...) They were simply awesome. Then Primus destroyed everything. Sick YYZ, Thela Hun Ginjeet with Adrian Belew (AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME). Then I had to sleep.

Took it pretty easy on Sunday, the sun and the drinking took a toll on me. Got front row centre spots for Tokyo Ska Paradise again, pretty much the same set but still wicked. Lots more people than the night before, and huge mud puddles in front of the stage made for an actual pit. Messy messy messy. Saw all of Cracker and the were my 2nd favourite show of the weekend. Great stuff, lots of country, sweet Bob Dylan cover (The Man in Me). The lyrics for at least 4 of the songs they played talked about beating up hippies, which I found hilarious. The crowd would cheer these lines like crazy, which make Lowery crack up and miss his cues. Hilarious. Had an awesome nap at the Which Stage under a tree for the Femi Kuti set. He sounds exactly like his Dad (Fela) which is too bad for him, cuz he's got a wicked opportunity to do something original. MMW smoked until the biggest rainstorm of the weekend forced them to stop. Took refuge in the beer tent where everything became free. That was awesome for sure. Flying Dog Pale Ale is a great beer, hoppy and blueberry flavoured. Saw the last hour of the Superjam, Maceo and George Porter kicked my ass all over the place.

The Trey orchestra set was boring for me, and I have no idea why Superfly would think 90 000 people would enjoy it. Would probably sound great in a hall, but not outdoors with intense anticipation for the TAB set. Add to that the fact that no-one could sit down because of all the mud and the crowd was getting pretty restless. He then did his 'Be back in 15 minutes' thing which turned out to be 45. Everyone is soaked, standing in ankle-deep mud, after standing through a weak orchestra set... I was a little bit pissed off at this point. I left the area after 5 or so songs of the TAB, listened to the rest back at the campsite. Sweet Black Dog cover. (Anyone know who sang it? Sounded awesome...)

The fest was a great time, not as good as last year, but I fulfilled my goals by seeing Cracker, Primus, PRAXIS!!, Doc Watson, Del, and the Tokyo Ska.

The drive home was torture. The travel-mates didn't want to stop at the Maker's Mark distillery which really pissed me off for a good 5 hours. I got over it though.

Now I'm ready to sleep for a day. :: :D:P

Thanks for reading this far if you got this far... I'll post pics once I get them ready.. ::

ad

I'm really debating whether or not to hit this up next year. I mean, there's always a decent lineup, but by the sound of things, you spend more time going from show to show than you do seeing shows... Is Bonnaroo really worth it?

wow. you go all the way to bonaroo and don't watch the whole ween set. you suck. glad to hear trey stunk up the joint so to speak. no suprised the dead did that, there fucking in their 70;s.

yeah, the best thing I packed was an open mind.

ad

I'm really debating whether or not to hit this up next year. I mean, there's always a decent lineup, but by the sound of things, you spend more time going from show to show than you do seeing shows... Is Bonnaroo really worth it?

200% worth it. To be fair it would be much better with 20 000 less people, but yeah, I've had a wicked time the past 2 years. Weather was a downer this year, but I can deal with it.

ad

great review AD, nice rundown of the whole weekend

soundin like good good times

if I get over my fear of 35 plus degree weather (plus humidity, jebus) hopefully I'll make it down next time... sounds like a fine weekend of wanderin

had a friend who got back and she was raving about The Dead's show (calling everyone who took off whiney bitches) but I guess thats what makes this event interesting is the diversity of tastes gathered on one grounds... she also called it the best organized event she's been to and really dug seeing lots of new (to her) acts

Its tought to take such a stance on the Dead.. given the weather there could be lots of reasons to stop after 45.

ie. their set could have been shrunk due to noise, not to mention the possible technical difficulties.

Sucks about the rain, but it sucks for the performers too.

Hey hey.

I'm also home from the 'roo.

Great review.

A couple things though.

Too many people.

This being my third time I have a little perspective.

The first year circumventing the site was easy, this year moving was annoying.

15 thousand less people would make things way more comfortable.

As it turns out...it might even save lives.

Some music things though.

Ani FUCKING DiFranco.

She kicked 12 kinds of ass with mostly new material and just a bass player at her side.

A goddess. Listen to her.

Dave & Friends.

No single act had this much fun on the mainstage in the three Bonnaroos that I've seen. Just a party. Pretty solid renderings of Dave tunes, but the covers (The Band, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and more) just smoked. Acoustic medley of Everyday and Bathtub Gin anyone?

I know a lot of Phans (of which I am one) wont want to hear it but if Trey could get over himself to have this kind of fun with Phish the band wouldn't be coming to an end.

The Dead.

The first set was short. Sure, but it was good, damn good. Holy crap. Don't forget this is a band that is famous for sucking in the spotlight. Besides, the second set was great. St Stephen>>The Eleven and Dark Star>>Shine on>>Dark Star AND Help>>Slip>>Franklin's all in the same set? It's like they had something to prove. Warren Haynes was the perfect addition ( I actually do miss RB a bit). I've seen the Other Ones and the Dead and I own a lot of tapes and video of the Grateful ones...

this current band is the shit.

That being said,

I left when Phil sang Box of Rain.

Trey.

I think I echo a lot of the folks who were trudging around in God's diarrhea that day when I say this...

Trey, you are an egotistical, sucker of cocks!

And I'm actually a fan. To capture thousands of people in the mud and make them listen to his own personal wet dream while they vainly hope that it will get good enough to not leave a glorious wekend with an anti-climax is proof that he is actually out of touch with the reasons for his own success.

The people who see you need a personal connection, Trey.

They need to be let in on the joke. Phish is great not just because they're genius, but listening to a show made you feel like you were a part of genius. Listening to these great songs (poorly) arranged for chamber orchestra at a rock festival made feel like I was ankle deep in shit. The second set didn't matter. He fucked it up too far.

The next thing you know he'll break up Phish.

Oh.

Best Mainstage Show of the weekend: The Dead

Runner Up: Dave & Friends (a close second too) with Mule a close third.

Best Other Show: Ani Difranco

Runners up: Mike Doughty's Band and a suprisingly ass kicking venture from Guster

Cool Suprise that made the weekend:

Maceo Parker leading the Super Jam. He showed up just in time to prove that he (and his contemporaries) invented this whole scene 40 years ago. I swear to shit if you can not dance while he leads a band through a 20 minute "Shake Everything You Got" then you are stronger (and a considerably less funky) person than I.

Jef

You hit the nail on the head Del. That's why I won't be going again.

Did you need a smiley face there kung?

Willy didn't go as a writer this year. He went for photos. His journal was literally that. A journal of his travels and not an official review. Basically, that was just an added bonus to try and keep us in touch with the festival, however he had technical difficulties.

Expect reviews from Fretman though.

for you, I'll rephrase...

"I'll bet you Prince is on the bill next year. That man is due to take over the It's either good, or it isnt.........."

I dunno...it doesn't have the same ring.

Mind you, I should probably go register

www.It's-either-good,-or-it-isnt...........com