Jambands.ca

QOTD: Where were you 10 years ago today?

MarcO

It was 10 years ago today the infamous slow car-chase took place down a California freeway.

I was swilling beer with friends on the patio at the Gown & Gavel in Hamilton's Hess Village. Soon, everyone had their necks craned to see the TV set in the corner, people yelling "Go OJ! Go OJ!", not yet knowing the implications of the situation. A sad day indeed, compounded by the inexplicable circus that unfolded over the next year.

Where were you that day?

simpson2.jpg

Americans Still Believe O.J. Simpson Is Guilty

Legacy of O.J. Simpson case still debated

:(

When the chase began, I was at a surprise party for some dude I barely knew in Mississauga... but I also ended up in Hess Village, too - and I'm sure that I went to the Gown & Gavel for at least one pint. I remember, because we somehow managed to drink one pint in every pub in the village that night - and drinking hours had been extended to 2AM that week for some reason - I think there was some kind of big international basketball thing in southern Ontario that week.

I was very hungover the next day...

(Fer all you young'uns, it wasn't that long ago that all the bars in Ontario stopped serving at 1AM)

i think i remember the basketball thing in the hammer that week, hamilton.

i remember it very fucking vividly... i was sitting on the floor in my parents basement, age 14, covered head to toe in ointments and balms and creams to battle the poison ivy rash i managed to get that day, while riding that trail.. shit, whats its called... i think its part of the Bruce, but it starts up around Bernie Arbour Stadium, and spits ya out down by Wellington, or Wentworth... if you want to get off... otherwise i think you can ride it right on into Chedoke Golf Course... i think... the name is killin me, its on the tip of my tongue... *something* Rail Trail? i dunno... anyways, my buddy's and i were just out being 14, and one friends tires blew on the trail, so, being 14, and not that bright, we figured the easiest way would be to hike up the side of the escarpemt, with our bikes, rather than walking all the way back, or continuing on down the trail to the stairs... i ended up falling in a patch of poison ivy, and my summer was fucked.

i was big into baseball around that time, and imagine how much it sucks travelling around ontario in the dead of summer, and you're the only guy for miles in a long sleeve shirt... cuz, you know, cant let the sun get to it... christ.

but, CNN kept my mind off it for a little while...

ps: 10 years later, every late spring, i get these water blisters sporadically on my fingers and hands, they go away quickly, and they get less and less each year, but i was told its from the poison ivy, and its not expected to end anytime soon... weird..

Guest Low Roller

I remember sitting in my parents basement, and everyone in my family was glues to the TV. We knew we were seeing some special shit. A police car chase? No big deal. But a CELEBRITY (however minor O.J. Simpson was) involved in a police car chase, thta was unheard of. It must of been a real slow news day because I remember CNN going nuts trying to cover this story. This very event is what spawned such shows as Cops, and indriectly might've been the catalyst for some studio exec to think "Maybe what TV is missing is a little reality?"

So there you have it folks. According to my theory O.J. Simpson created reality TV.

P.S. Of course he did it!

I think I had just returned from an epic tree planting/survival experiance out west..or was nearing my return...anyone know of a Kevin Title from Peterborough-steer clear he ripped alot of good folks off..he did get charged with criminal negligance but you can't draw blood from a stone....so no cash. It is likely that I was in the midst of birthweek celebrations....it's all about givenr for seven days....3 on either side is proper. Mostly I recall the OJ crap because my Dad was obsessed with the coverage....it was creepy how obsessed he was...but I guess all of western society was obessed with it.....weird shit.

of course, at the time OJ was a rather major celebrity. He was a beloved public figure. Remember the "Naked Gun" movies? his TV ad cameos? people really loved OJ, in the way people love, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger these days (minus the politics of course).

It's easy to forget too how this one event strained racial relations in the US, and possibly internationally, for such a long time. The year-long televised trial created many a career that continue to go on, as well as paving the path for the reality TV shows that keep so many people in Toronto home and away from Grand Theft Bus shows today.

What's amazing is how much more revolting OJ has become. Just last month or so he stated he doesn't really believe in the concept of "date rape". Remember when he got arrested *again* a few years back for threatening his girlfriend (btw, how does OJ have a girlfriend?!?!?). Look for his own "reality" show to launch this fall - no joke!

Maybe he'll tell us how his hunt for the "real killer" is going. :(

Wow was it really 10 years ago? Man.

I was working at a horse ranch in Bolsover Ontario. Making good cash money, leading about 10 trail rides a day and spending about 12 hours with my horse, Jerry. My body was 10 years younger and unbelievably fit from hauling bails of hay and grain sacks and cleaning the barn.

Those were the days I tell ya. Sunshine and good times.

OJ's a guily arse.