Jambands.ca

Folkfest recommendations?

c-towns

is Popo still playing with Raggamuffin?

I used to play with them back when they had the regular gig at The Whipping Post and The Upstairs Club.. then there was a big fallout with half the band just as they moved over to Babylon and that's when I left.

I'm really happy for Pope that he's out there and making a good name for himself now though. He's a great guy, super nice, killer guitar player, and really down to earth.

is Popo still playing with Raggamuffin?

I haven't Muffined in a while, but he seems to be there about half the times I go. He's doing a lot more on his own now, like (semi?)regular gigs at The Black Sheep Inn. I know he adds tons of fun to Muffin, and he has appeared with them recently, so I guess things aren't too bad between him and them.

Anybody Muffined lately? Was Popo there?

Aloha,

Brad

others not mentioned I would check out:

Scott Merritt

Po’ Girl

Martin Simpson

John Wort Hannam

Thats a couple anyway,I know Scott Merrit puts on a fine show seen him a few times in my life but I'm also am really into folk singer/song writer music (once again).Man,I wish I was going to that festival...

I know he adds tons of fun to Muffin, and he has appeared with them recently, so I guess things aren't too bad between him and them.

Pope always got along with everyone.. he wasn't really involved with the fallout.. especially because he has always had hiw own thing on the side..

and it's been a few years since I've played with (or seen) raggamuffin, so maybe everyone has kissed and made up.. I dunno

man... i went to a day of the calgary folkfest when i was livin in those parts in 2001... easily one of THE FUNNEST days of the summer!! kegs upon kegs of big rock beer, tons of wicked musicians in a super-chill atmosphere.. i got to meet i think his names leonard quitzau, as well as kelly hoppe and gordie johnson from big sugar... made my day! i'm jealous too man, it was a great time.

stompin tom

olu dara

franti/spearhead

popo

youssou n'dour

nathan(check him out...sounds cool)

NMA

one ring zero

po'girl

earl scruggs

urban divide

weakerthans

wil

sul williams

lucinda williams

d'bi young

linda tillery

schooglenifty

martin simpson

veda hille

i'd check those out if i were there.

do wht you will.

Come back Popo, toooo da rescue!!!

Popo's solo project is very good, original world-beat stuff in a bunch of languages. In addition to Brad's list I'd say go see Saul Williams, Youssou N’Dour (although I don't know what his current project is all about) and the Weakerthans... and skip the NMAllstars.

Guest Low Roller
Last time through Ottawa I thought they were complete garbage. Your call.

I thought the same. I guess it depends if they play the garbage off of their latest disc Polaris (worst album of 2003 IMHO) or if they keep to the classics.

yeah i bought the album from i think the year before, it had a roadsign on it or something, anyway i gave it away b/c i didn't dig it at all... but i thought that the allstars members' work with "the word" was phenomenal, both the disc and the live show, and i would probably check'em out if i was going to be there anyway.

e.. i got to meet i think his names leonard quitzau,

Lester would be the guy, and he IS pretty awesome!!

For anyone else heading to the area for this festival, drop me a line!! I live across the river (directly) from the venue and the party WILL be raging all weekend. Some camping space left in the yard too...oh, and don't worry, ill have c-towns locked in his cage by 1am so don't be scared..